xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is Soft Modding Any Safer?  (Read 475 times)

.:Dino:.

• Archived User
Is Soft Modding Any Safer?
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »

softmodding is fine, but personally i would get it soldered by someone on this forum. If your like me and like to mess with files alot, and seem to reorganise my xbox every week lol then a modchip would definately be what you might want. But if you simply want your xbox to perform, you know run evox, play games and not experiment too much, then a softmod is the best choice.

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »

TSOP is your answer.   Soft mods are swell or whatever, but I personally hate using them.  Yes, that's my opinion but I have never to this day had a TSOP flash problem. They are rock solid, you can slap annew HDD in at any time and depending on what Ver. of box you have you could possibly flash up to 4 serperate banks.

+ in most cases you wont have to solder any wires

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »

I use a softmod, and build them for others. I dumpped my solderless chip for a softmod after having alot of fraging from the chip moving around. There is nothing I cant do with a softmod than I could do with a mod chip.

Maybe you should have had the chip properly fitted then and not bottled it.

As far as features etc, a chip will always outweigh a softmod.

But in your case, i think a softmod or tsop would be a good choice.

willpower101

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(.:Dino:. @ Mar 31 2006, 06:53 AM) View Post

.... If your like me and like to mess with files alot, and seem to reorganise my xbox every week lol then a modchip would definately be what you might want. ....

well, you can reorganize and mess with files just as much by ftping to a softmod. i don't know any other method you would use with a modchip that's any 'better'. Even if you screw something up, the way krayzies softmod works now, you can still boot a recovery disc or even a game from a "service your xbox" greenscreen.

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:52:00 AM »

personally i think softmodz are crap and garbage...you can do more with a hardmod any day of the week... and no you cant recover any green screen of death with a softmod... but you can fix any green screen with the right parts having a modchip

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:29:00 AM »

well, you can reorganize and mess with files just as much by ftping to a softmod. i don't know any other method you would use with a modchip that's any 'better'. Even if you screw something up, the way krayzies softmod works now, you can still boot a recovery disc or even a game from a "service your xbox" greenscreen.

Um no mate, with my x3 i can flash a corrupt bios, unlock the hdd, format all drives and still recover without spending a penny.

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(.:Dino:. @ Apr 3 2006, 05:36 AM) View Post

Um no mate, with my x3 i can flash a corrupt bios, unlock the hdd, format all drives and still recover without spending a penny.

And Also Hold white for X3 config live, Built in FTP from the chip.. oh yeah.. and Change your flubber.

minus5252

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »

Whoa, I can recover from a green screen, it may take a minute, but I have my xbox set to come apart fast and I have an extender wire so I can hook the hard drive to my PC.  I then use a linux boot disk and am able to fix any problem that might have arisen.  Might  be a *little* more complicated than what can be done w/ a modchip, however, it's free, and if I really wanted to, I could add the hard drive input on the xbox with a switch so I wouldn't have to open the XBOX if I ever have a green screen again.  Regardless, I would say that the only advantage for softmod is it is free, and easier if you don't know how to solder.  On the other hand, I don't think you can install an LCD screen on a soft mod.  I personally have one of each, but rarely touch the chipped one anymore.
Minus

DragoNs

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Mar 31 2006, 10:32 AM) View Post

TSOP is your answer.   Soft mods are swell or whatever, but I personally hate using them.  Yes, that's my opinion but I have never to this day had a TSOP flash problem. They are rock solid, you can slap annew HDD in at any time and depending on what Ver. of box you have you could possibly flash up to 4 serperate banks.

+ in most cases you wont have to solder any wires

I had softmod before... but TSOP is what i switched to also, i also got mine split to 2 banks its great i could do 4 cause its a 1.0 xbox but too much trouble, but yeah i agree with you anyone who can, TSOP is where its at biggrin.gif

Viva La Sam

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

i used the solderless install on the X 2.6 lite and it didnt work. make sure you get the new clear adapter. its better. i might opt for a new box and x3 it. but, softmod is too easy and i think it's best to have a fellow member solder it for you.

jellyman6669

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

I have a soft-modded xbox, THE #1 thing I was told not to do when I got it from my friend was to mess with the C:. well of course, I accidentally restored it. I screwed up the internal clock because I let it powerdown for 3 hours or so after doing the deed. I was told that I would need another motherboard for it. Is this something that can be done, or cheaper to just invest in another xbox? I know a little about a little and am not above doing it myself if not too hella crazy. If someone could help me out, or send me in the right direction...I would so crazily appreciate it... uhh.gif

if someone could email me at [email protected] or [email protected] would make it more accessible than checking this post every so often. thanks

kmkings311

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »

I have installed both a mod chip & a soft-mod install.  I'm a fan of the soft-mod, only thing w/ that is you can totally ruin you 'Box if your not careful.  But, it does the trick, its free, and pry faster than installing a modchip, solderless or not.

K-MeTAL

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

im just curious, what are the ways to screw up a soft-mod that will ruin an xbox?

i think something about unlocking a hd, or something about an internal clock?

jonels

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(K-MeTAL @ Apr 11 2006, 02:21 AM) View Post

im just curious, what are the ways to screw up a soft-mod that will ruin an xbox?

i think something about unlocking a hd, or something about an internal clock?

The only situation where it's best to buy a chip to repair is when someone unlocks their HDD and has not got their eeprom.bin key to lock it again. (easily avoided, just ftp you're eeprom.bin to you're PC and keep it safe and even better, don't un-lock you're HDD)

The other problem soft-modders can run into is when the exploit files have been deleted and the clock is alowed to un-set (no power for @4 hours)... then an xbox won't boot originals, so you can't boot a trigger disc (like splinter cell) for restoring meaning that a repair with xboxhdm is needed.

But for a long time now if you use the best installers (Krayzie/Kingroach from this site...SID has only just started using this) all the exploit files are hidden and protected. I would say the vast majority of softmodders you see with problems are ones that used SID which for an insane amount of time failed to provide c: drive protection by default.

onslaughtphase2

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

Are you saying that if I uninstall Krayzie's NDURE using the C: backup method, that eventually my Xbox will be losing its clock and not play any games?   uhh.gif

Or, what do you mean by "delete the exploit files"?
Pages: [1] 2