xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Using A Usb Stick To Transfer Gamesave Exploits!  (Read 2021 times)

forthex

• Archived User
Using A Usb Stick To Transfer Gamesave Exploits!
« on: August 19, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »

I have seen hundreds of people (mostly n00bs or newbies) who want to flash thier TSOP or use a gamesave exploit and an "after" exploit (audio, font, UDE, etc.) using a USB stick, CF card, or any other portable storage media that can be connected to a USB port.  Many people, like myself, saw on the Screen Savers Kevin Rose hacking the xbox with the USB stick and the PSO keyboard adapter and we all wanted to know, "HOW THE FUCK DID HE DO THAT!?!?" Well, I have the answer:

This method of exploiting the Xbox doesn't require a modded Xbox, opening your Xbox (unless you want to do a TSOP flash), and has no known gamesave corruption (i would use a device that has 32MB of memory or more, just in case.)

This tutorial was written for Windows XP home or Professional.

UPDATE 1: Now I have the answer and steps to why some of your saves are seen as "invalid" by the AR software.

UPDATE 2: Now with pics!

UPDATE 3: Why you should not use an MP3 player or IPod

UPDATE 4: V.1.6 is not compatible

Discliamer:

This tutorial is to be used at your own risk and if you know what you are doing. You can hurt of damage yourself, your xbox, your USB mass storage device, and/or your PC. I take no responsibility if you end up in an illegal situation becasue you committed piracy, used illegal software or BIOS's, or any other stupid crap you can think of.

Now that that's out of the way...

Parts and software needed:

USBview.exe:
usbman.com

action replay software:
codejunkies.com: click, your region, go to support and dowload the software. WHEN YOU INSTALL IT, DO NOT CHANGE IT'S DEFAULT PATH TO INSTALL (probably Program Files)

the gamesave exploit of your choice in xbins:
if you are a newbie or don't know that the hell i'm talking about, i would recomend using ldot's ltools UDE/2 installer. It comes for three games (mecahssault, 007: auf, and Splinter Cell 1. TO BE SAFE, DON'T USE THE PLATINUM HITS VERSIONS OF ANY OF THESE GAMES) and the PAL and NTSC versions of every game. in xbins, go to /XBOX/Operating Systems/linux/distributions/ltools/ .

an xbox (a BIG no fuckin' duh)

a PC (another BIG no fuckin' duh)

a USB mass storage device:
this include USB sticks, a CF card in a reader, or any other device that can be pluged into your USB port and you can put files on it. In the tut, i'll just reffer to whatever you use as a USB stick.
(to see that the USB mass storage device is compatible, look here:
http://unmodded.mine.nu/docs/XboxUsbCompatibilityList

a regualr USB female port to an Xbox controller port male adapter:
can be purchased at;
"http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=2154&" for about $15 USD ($22 CAN, £19),
sent to you free from  M$ at  ttp://www.xbox.com/en-us/pso2/keyboardadapter.htm" (US only),
or you can make your own, shown here: http://www.xbox-linux.org/Xbox_Linux_USB_HOWTO (requires soldering)

Method:

1.1: Plug your USB stick (or other mass storage device) into the regualr USB female port of the the adapter, and the Xbox controller male port into your Xbox. Now, start up the Xbox dashboard and go into "MEMORY": an error message should now pop up and say that the memory card wasn't working properly and has now been erased. Don't worry, this is normal; this means that the USB stick has been formatted and can now be used as a regular Xbox memory card.

1.2: Now, take out your USB stick and plug it into your PC USB port. Open USBview.exe. You should see these two rows and these digits beside them:

idVendor:           0xyyyy
idProduct:          0xzzzz

(IMG:http://img13.exs.cx/img13/3474/pic1.png)

copy down the yyyy digits, and the zzzz digits and keep them for later.

1.3: If you followed my directions and installed the Action replay software to it's default instillation destionation, go to C:\Program Files\Datel\Action Replay XBOX\Drivers and open up xbreader.ini and scroll down to the [_Devices] and the first line should look like this:

(IMG:http://img5.exs.cx/img5/1695/pic9.png)

now, delete the digits beside VID_ and PID_

(IMG:http://img46.exs.cx/img46/6184/pic3.png)

and replace the VID_ digits with the yyyy digits, and the PID_ digits with the zzzz digits.

(IMG:http://img46.exs.cx/img46/2151/pic4.png)

Edit the first line AND ONLY THE FIRST LINE! Now, save xbreader,ini.

1.4: Go to Start, Contol Panel, and click "switch to classic view" on the left hand side and the top. Double click on System, click the hardware tab, and click Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers row, right click on USB Mass Storage Device and click Update Driver. Now, on the Hardware Update Driver window, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", and click next. Select "Don't Search. I will choose the driver the install". Click next. Select "ActionReplay XBOX" and click next.

Now, you have just made the USB stick work as a regualr AR memory card with no (known) data curruption. In order to get ANYTHING on the card now, we must make the saves compatible.

2.1: Find your gamesave exploit of your choice and unzip it. You should have two folders: the actual gamesave exploit that makes the xbox crash, and the Evolution X folder, or raincoat BIOS flasher folder, (if you're doing a TSOP flash), or the UDE intaller if your using the ltools UDE installer. I will show you ldot's ltools UDE/2 installer for Splinter Cell (because i use it). The same basic method applies, except the file and folder names may be different:

5553000c (gamesave exploit; #'s will be different depending on what game you are using)

(IMG:http://img15.exs.cx/img15/4442/pic11.png)

21585554: (the actual linux-based UDE installer)

(IMG:http://img15.exs.cx/img15/6662/pic12.png)

2.2: Use an existing save that came with the AR software and copy the datelinfo.xbx file into the first file directory in both of the saves.  If you installed the AR software into it's default directoy, go to "C:\Program Files\Datel\Action Replay XBOX\Saves" (without the quotes).

(IMG:http://img17.exs.cx/img17/6662/pic12.png)

So, the folders should go from this:
5553000c
l___>TitleMeta.xbx
     >TitleImage.xbx
     >8D5BCE250B35
21585554:
l___>TitleMeta.xbx
     >TitleImage.xbx
     >000000000000

...to this:
5553000c
l___>TitleMeta.xbx
     >TitleImage.xbx
     >datelinfo.xbx
     >8D5BCE250B35
21585554:
l___>TitleMeta.xbx
     >TitleImage.xbx
     >datelinfo.xbx
     >000000000000

Now, your gamesave exploit should be complete and reader to use!
HAPPY MODDING!!!!

AND YES, NO GAMESAVE OR .XBE EXPLOIT FROM XBINS IS NOT AR SOFTWARE READY, AND YOU MUST PUT THE DATELINFO.XBX FILES INTO THE APPROPRIATE DIRECTORIES!!!!

BONUS SECTION:

Now, school is starting up (AHH!!!!) and you probably need that USB stick back to keep your W0rd docs on, or you need your CF card for your camera. You must remove the AR driver from the USB stick:

3: Plug your USB stick in to your PC (DON'T OPEN THE AR SOFTWARE!). Go to Contol Panel, System, click on the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager. Go to USBIO controlled devices, right-click on ActionReplay XBOX, and click uninstall.  Go through the menu's and you should have your regular USB stick back.

UPDATE 3: Why you shouldn't use an MP3 player:

You can use an MP3 player as an xbox memory card, and it could work very well, just expect not to use it again to listen to your new Green Day album.  It's because the way that the player if formatted: For example, you format you player to the FATX file system (the type on your Xbox), but, usually, your MP3 player maybe on a FAT to FAT32 file system, and you might not know which one. So, if you don't know what system to put it on. and if you use Windows XP, it will usually only allow you to format it to FAT or FAT32. So, IF you screw up the way you format it, you could be down $150 to $400. So, i wouldn't recommend using an MP3 player or any other USB storage device that has any other purpose than a storage device. This includes MP3 players, PDA's, gaming systems, GPS modules, etc.

UPADTE 4: v1.6 XBOX'S DO NOT WORK WITH NON-XBOX STORAGE DEVICES!

I have bought today a brand-new v1.6 Xbox with money I saved up during the summer. I tried to use my CF card and USB adapter on my new xbox (to see if i could softmod it, just as an experiment), but it did not work. Non xbox memory cards/storage devices DO NOT WORK WITH V1.6 XBOX'S!! I'm sorry, but the only way to transfer saves with a v1.6 is to make a USB male to xbox controller female adapter, plug an xbox controller into your computer, with an xbox memory card, and modify the AR drivers from there. I'll get more info later.

Thankx to Mugsy1331 for helping me throughout this process.

I'm so tired right now... gotta sleep. :boring:
Later.
:beer:[SIZE=14]

This post has been edited by forthex: Sep 27 2004, 01:18 AM

hanlong

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »

forthex is a good guy wink.gif

i followed his guide a while ago, and it worked wonders smile.gif

mrp04

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

i did this, and action replay still wont recognize it!

SleepWalkerX

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

i did what you said and it worked great, but now how do i stick the gamesave on the adapter?  windows doesn't recognize the device as a drive (like I: for example) only that's its connected.  so how do i send it over?

edit:  nm i figured it out.  i use the action replay software.  nice guide btw thanks.  smile.gif

mrp04

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »

it wont work for me! it recognizes it as the action replay type of jumpdrive, but still action replay wont work!

Exzir

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

mrp04

Just for my amusment see if your xbox will transfer a saved game to the stick.

If this does not work then I would tend to think it would be an incompadailty between the stick type of formation used by the Xbox for memory saves.

If it does work then I am guessing the numbers used in the yyyy and zzzz were wrong or you auctly tied to use them.  smile.gif

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

I added a link to see if your USB mass storage device or camera will work.

mugsy3117

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

no credit  sad.gif

mrp04

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

well that stick is in my room somewhere, dont know where i put it. I went and bought a new one because i though it might be incompatible too. The new one worked fime, thanks for the tutorial! But the XBOX could access my Lexar Media Jumpdrive 128mb just fine, i even tried saving games onto it and it worked. Just the action replay wont work with it.

mugsy3117

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

yeah i dont think lexar's work too great with action replay. same thing happened to me.

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

i don't use a stick, I use a Sandisk 128MB CF card in a USB reader from my dad's camera... he doesn't know yet.

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

yay... 300 views.

mrp04

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

My sandisk sdcard reader with an 8mb sd card wont work sad.gif (i use it for another 256mb card, not only the 8mb card). My other 5-in-one memory card reader with an sd/sony memory stick didnt work, and my sony camera didnt work.

diesel_dickson

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »

oh your link doesnt work for the usb compatability list theres a ) close bracket on the end of it take that off and it works fine

thanks a lot for doing this, unfortunately for me i have a jump drive trio so it dont work bleh

cheers

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

if you have a digital camera, you the memory card inside and plug it to your xbox with a  reader, and their, like 10-15 bucks US.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33