xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: No Modchip Hdd Replacement Tutorial  (Read 866 times)

Thing2

• Archived User
No Modchip Hdd Replacement Tutorial
« on: December 29, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »

VERY GOOD TUTORIAL BAD HEX

Worked perfectly for me...the only problem I had was with HDD_DRIVER...I needed to get a couple of .dlls before it would start, but after it started everything went smoothly.

Thank you very much! My 120GB is zooming smile.gif

I tried the other tutorial (the one that only uses Winhex) and it didn't work at all...I even went so far as finding the full version of that freakin' program because the trial wont let you do ANYTHING! In the end, everything in this tutorial worked perfectly!

Bravo.

wiggles

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »

ok, so i am at the very last step where i distribute the free space to the f drive. i cannot get it to work. i have sent the raw commands through flashfxp and still nothing. i tried that tutorial on freeing the extra "2 gigz" on the f drive, and still nothing. what else could i try?
i have teh seagate baracuda (sp?) 120gb 8mb cache

ok, when i go into the f drive it says
"226-free disk space under this directory : 126.295.715.944"
in the status box, but i am unable to transfer anything onto the drive, i get this message:

"226 Transfer finished successfully. Data connection closed.
List Complete: 56 bytes in 0.09 (0.05 KBps)
Transfer queue completed
1 File failed to transfer"

edit: got it, had to unlock the hard drive first with configmagic

Agent-}{

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »

I just tried to put a new western digital 120 gb hdd in my xobx.. I went through all the steps unlocking it and transfering one contents of the drive to another and that all worked perfectly.  Now when I go to relock the drive, it says that the device is not ready.  I checked in atapwd.exe and see that the drive has a + sign under the f column.  This means that the drive is freeze locked.  Is there any way to remove this so I can go ahead and lock the drive to put it back in my xbox.

Thanks in advance for your help.

alvette78

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 07:20:00 AM »

I can get a good backup of xbox HD. I tried hdddriver and winhex and hex workshop all sya there are bad sectors and it just sits at 60% done. Anyone know a work around for this?

waterboy6868

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »

Can you copy and run games from the XBox HD with out the use of a hardware mod? Kids are scrathing the games all up. And can I place the apropiete software on the drive eg: boxeplorer while the HD is still unlocked to handle file management?  Sorry ... I'm new at this XBox Stuff.

sony3d

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 04:32:00 AM »

can you go Xbox Live with this?

ourreality

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »

1.5 compatable... yes?

Rainchaser

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 07:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (BaD_HeX @ Sep 18 2003, 02:10 PM)
Welcome  biggrin.gif  I'm amazed to see somone found an unlockable drive! lol.. glad to see it all worked out for you.

Add the 60 gig Maxtor 96147H6 to the list of drives that do NOT support locking. Grrr...

Rainchaser

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (Agent-}{ @ Jan 1 2004, 07:51 PM)
I just tried to put a new western digital 120 gb hdd in my xobx.. I went through all the steps unlocking it and transfering one contents of the drive to another and that all worked perfectly.  Now when I go to relock the drive, it says that the device is not ready.  I checked in atapwd.exe and see that the drive has a + sign under the f column.  This means that the drive is freeze locked.  Is there any way to remove this so I can go ahead and lock the drive to put it back in my xbox.

I don't see a response to the above post about the +F and I'm having the exact same problem. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm using a Seagate ST3120026A 120g hdd and also can not lock it (but it does support locking). I get the device not ready response.

Here's more detail of my process:

1. Got the XHDD unlocked and backed up to my PC with HDD_Driver.

2. None of my drives have a jumper option for "Secondary Master". It's either Master, Slave or Cable Select. So both drives (XHDD and PCHDD) are set to master. XHDD on the IDE2 cable and PCHDD on the IDE1 cable. Windows boots that way. If the XHDD is the main primary, it won't boot as there's no OS on that drive (first drive in IDE chain). Anyway.. It's working this way ok from all I can tell. The new XHDD is a Seagate 120g ST310026A. I run the LIVEINFO program, load the eeprom.bin from my original XHDD backup and get the calculated password from the bottom section of information.

3. I run xhdprepa and zero out the 4096 bytes (that works quick). I then run Hex Workshop as indicated in the guide and edit in the BRFR. NOTE! I do get an error here about invalid partition size or something from Hex Workshop. It does allow me to continue on and edit the BRFR section. (This happens whether there's a partition on the new XHDD or not)

4. I then run HDD_Driver and it does detect an XHDD (the new one). It does not however give me the invalid filesize error like it did with the original XHDD. I tried a few different things to make it do so, like having a partition before doing #3 above, not having a partition, having one and having it formatted.. nadda. No filesize error. Just the one from Hex Workship in #3 above.

5. Continuing on, I restore my backup with HDD_Driver to the new XHDD. It restores fine (no errors).

6. I boot to my floppy and run ATAPWD. It shows the drives and for the XHDD the flags are as such:

S E L F X V
+ - - + -

7. I run the HDLOCK program and select my new XHDD and then enter the calculated password from LIVEINFO. I get a response saying "Device not ready."

I can't get past this point (Step 8) as the drive won't lock..

HELP! sad.gif

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 05:17:00 AM »

Try setting the jumber on your new hdd as "cable select". Then put it on primary slave and run hdlock or unlockx with this setup. Works for me - dont know why?

BTW. Check links in my sig. for an easier/automatic way of upgrading you HDD using softmods.

Rainchaser

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

-----------------------
Turns out that it was my PC's BIOS that was turning on the Freeze Lock flag of the HDD's. I took the HDD to another PC and it was not freeze locked. I was able to do HDLOCK without a problem.
-----------------------

QUOTE (ldots @ Apr 30 2004, 02:17 PM)
Try setting the jumber on your new hdd as "cable select". Then put it on primary slave and run hdlock or unlockx with this setup. Works for me - dont know why?

BTW. Check links in my sig. for an easier/automatic way of upgrading you HDD using softmods.

Ok, I tried that as well. Nada. I grabbed your XBOXHD thing, burned it, booted it, did it, and all it does is get me back to the same point that I was at before.

I can't get the drive to lock.

I just tried relocking my XBOX original drive as well, and I've got the same problem. Both of them in atadrv show F+ for freeze lock, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

HOW DO YOU TURN OFF FREEZE LOCK?

Unless I can do that so that I can lock the drive, my XBOX is now a paper weight.  sad.gif

Mesmoque

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

Anyone know a answer to this?  Mine is also freeze locked.

tbone97cobra

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »

I would like to do the HD swap, but I have a mod chip.  It's one of the first gen chips, Enigmah, which doesn't support the larger HD like the later chips do.

How would I do the swap?  Seems like I could skip some steps or would have to do something differently.  What do you think?  Thanks.

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 02:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mesmoque @ May 19 2004, 01:48 AM)
Anyone know a answer to this?  Mine is also freeze locked.

As Rainchaser says I think the "Freeze Lock" command is issued by some bioses. I dont think there is any way to turn it off. In my case the drive is not frozen when connected to the primary slave channel, but always when connected to the primary master. Other than that, try another PC...

SrLANGuy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (SpikeMage @ Sep 23 2003, 03:47 AM)
I am at the part where you use HDD_Driver to make a copy of the xbox drive but I can't get the damn thing to run because I am missing tons of DLL files it would seem. So far it has asked me for stuff like:
MFC42D.dll
MSVCRTD.dll
MFCO42d.dll
and so on...I have found some but the list seems endless and I am unable to find some of them. Is there some kind of DLL pack or something I need?

If your missing the DLL files needed to run HDD_DRIVER, try this:

[1] Download "MS Service Pack 6 for Visual Studio 6.0" from MS (Vs6sp6.exe).  NOTE: The following URL is incorrect because this forum automatically converts "The name of Bill Gates company" to "ms".  Please copy the URL and then replace "ms" with the full company name.

http://www.MS.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A8494EDB-2E89-4676-A16A-5C5477CB9713&displaylang=en

[2] Instead of launching "Vs6sp6.exe", open it with WinZip.

[3] Extract "VS6sp61.cab" and "VS6sp64.cab" to a temporary location.

[4] Open "VS6sp61.cab" with WinZip and extract the following DLL files:
msvcrtd.dll
msvcirtd.dll

[5] Open "VS6sp64.cab" with WinZip and extract the following DLL files:
mfc42d.dll
mfco42d.dll

[6] Place all four of these files in the same directory as the HDD_DRIVER.

This worked on my WinXP system!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9