xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is The Xenium Ice Right For Me?  (Read 76 times)

_chronos_

• Archived User
Is The Xenium Ice Right For Me?
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »

My box is a 1.0, and I have a Phillips drive (if that even matters it all.) I want a chip that can I can make backups with, copy games to the hd, and ftp to my pc to run xbmc and the like. I don't necessarily need to be able to get on live, but it would be nice. I am going to buy an 80 gig hard drive that is lockable. I really don't have any reason for wanting the Xenium Ice other than it looks good and got good reviews, plus I really like the usb adapter and how it comes with an led kit. If anyone knows of a better chip for my needs, or maybe one that is easier to do and more idiot proof, I would probably get that. Oh, and I have no problem soldering.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »

I'm a big fan of Xenium chips. I think for the money they have quite a few decent features and I can't really think of a reason that it's a bad choice for you. The x3 is also feature riddled and I'm sure some people are going to recommend it as well. Both are decent choices.

daser1220

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »

if your xbox has a philips its probabley not a 1.0 unless you changed it... anyway it doesn't matter. yes you can do everything you listed with the chip, even xbox live. so get a xenium! you dont have to solder by the way, you can get the solderless adaptor. and uh if your thinking about the adaptor, you dont need the spice. just the u.s.a is fine

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(daser1220 @ Mar 23 2005, 04:45 AM)
if your xbox has a philips its probabley not a 1.0 unless you changed it... anyway it doesn't matter. yes you can do everything you listed with the chip, even xbox live. so get a xenium! you dont have to solder by the way, you can get the solderless adaptor. and uh if your thinking about the adaptor, you dont need the spice. just the u.s.a is fine

daser1220

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

dry.gif chronos, i would check out the ice guide and see what your getting into before you buy the chip. then you can decide for yourself how you want to install it. the link for the guide is here

_chronos_

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

Well, I am fairly confident in soldering, I think I am going to solder it. But daser, why do you say that? According to pics of the trays I have seen, I definitly have a Phillips, and my mfg date is oct. 29, 2002, which is barely before november 2002, so wouldn't that make it a 1.0?

nj12nets

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »

no if im correct xbox came out nov 2001. not 02. check the serial numbers to the model no guide on the site

daser1220

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(_chronos_ @ Mar 22 2005, 10:00 PM)
Well, I am fairly confident in soldering, I think I am going to solder it. But daser, why do you say that? According to pics of the trays I have seen, I definitly have a Phillips, and my mfg date is oct. 29, 2002, which is barely before november 2002, so wouldn't that make it a 1.0?

_chronos_

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(nj12nets @ Mar 23 2005, 05:05 AM)
no if im correct xbox came out nov 2001. not 02. check the serial numbers to the model no guide on the site

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

let's play this game. It doesn't matter. There's no difference between version 1.0 and 1.1 thats going to require you to make a different decision regarding your chip. Once you get it and open your box up you can make a definitive diagnosis

X-ECUTIONER

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »

wink.gif

daser1220

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Mar 22 2005, 10:20 PM)
let's play this game. It doesn't matter. There's no difference between version 1.0 and 1.1 thats going to require you to make a different decision regarding your chip. Once you get it and open your box up you can make a definitive diagnosis

_chronos_

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »

Alright, I guess I will be going with the xenium ice chip as you reccomended, thanks for all of the help guys!  Sorry if I sounded hostile in some of my posts, I am not meaning to argue with anyone here (I'm posting in the newbie forum after all) I just received some conflicting information and was trying to get it cleared up. Thanks again for the help, I guess I will have to wait till I open my box to find out what version I have.