xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: How To Write A Newbie Post  (Read 856 times)

Spency234

• Archived User
How To Write A Newbie Post
« on: December 30, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (seedybrick @ Dec 30 2003, 02:59 PM)
anyhoo - anyone need any audio/video, music, financial, or reptile advice?!!? laugh.gif

Actually I do.

1. What kind of TV should I get.
2. Whats the difference between plasma and lcd
3. I like happy music, what band should I get
4. What are stocks
5. I have a snake and its slithering all funny, what should I do??

seedybrick

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 05:32:00 AM »

if they were serious questions - no matter how general - i WOULD answer them

enjoy that though

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 06:19:00 AM »

---i know you can play n64 games with an emulator or whatever........does anyone know if "South Park Rally" is out there to get ???? no need to tell me where - just.....have you seen it??? was a great game that my girl would kill to play again!

I'm not familiar with the game but if the game exists then the rom must exist as well.  Check the emulators forum.  Some N64 roms work better than others.

st4rk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

i got a qwestiun too:

can sum1 plz plzz1!!1 tell me why ican't ftp to my xbox?!1 it says no link, and I did that thing with the stuff but it didnt wrk.

st4rk

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »

j/k

I read alot of the said posts, and most people should not even attempt modding in the first place.

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 07:23:00 AM »

i really think that to understand a lot of the stuff you guys do you need some kind of background of which i have none - so there is no "starting point" for me - it's like "here's your newbie guide now jump on in!" i jumped and drowned

Well, that's why the tutorials are there.  The tutorials are step by step instructions on how to do very specific things.  If there's a part of a tutorial that is unclear, the terms can be looked up on this forum and through Google.  Posting on the forum to ask people how to do something that  a tutorial has been written for is kind of a waste of time.

In most cases the tutorial will be far better and more descriptive than any message board reply you will get.  Though, I agree, some tutorials are written much better than others.

i got a qwestiun too:

can sum1 plz plzz1!!1 tell me why ican't ftp to my xbox?!1 it says no link, and I did that thing with the stuff but it didnt wrk.

laugh.gif

impokinya

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »

that's been one of my biggest concerns regarding people modding their box.  like seedybrick said... a lot of people come on not knowing thing one about computers in general.  that's why i've said before that i think there are a lot of people out there modding their box when they probably really shouldn't be.  it very easily can turn out to be a $200 mistake as it almost was with me countless times.  and i pride myself on knowing quite a bit about computers... being a cs major and all.  but thankfully i knew enough about what i was doing to figure out my problem and fix it.  thanx to hours and hours of reading and research and experimenting and fixing and breaking and reading and research and experimenting and fixing and breaking...  you get the idea.

you really gotta understand how all the components fit together and why they work the way they do.  you gotta know what a bios is and what it does and why it does it.  you gotta know what a mother board is and why it's there.  all those little things that come together.  i've seen posts by people who don't know what these things are and i think... well i really don't think anyone can give you an "Introduction to Computer Science" course in just a couple of posts.

that's why when my friends come and ask me to mod their xbox... i start from scratch and explain to them how it all works... that way they'll have some idea of what's going on.  and that way they can know enough to find answers on their own and not be calling me every 15 minutes.  it may take a while but i think it's necessary.

like heinrich said.  it's cool to be a "newbie" and all... but put forth the effort and do a little leg work.

and on a side note.  i think "newbie" (and every variation) is just a little overused.

impokinya

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 11:16:00 AM »

that was my point exactly.  and therefore... even if you do manage to get someone to help you... there is only so much they can do if you do not have the proper background.  that's why i said that you need to understand what you are doing... why you are doing it... and how it all works before you can take on any challenging project.

bodycorp2006

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »

blink.gif u think i'm joking but i'm serious

hotshot743

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 01:24:00 AM »

jester.gif

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »

rotfl.gif

d3fault_dot_xbe

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

i got a good kick out of reading this..... PIN it...

Orangey

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (dewmonger @ Jan 14 2004, 12:53 PM)
I'm glad you two were able to sort it out and everything is ok now.  This post started out as a sort of joke, but you took it too seriously.

I will say that chefelf is one of the most helpful people in these forums.  He helps so many people.  I can see why his points are valid.  Everyone starts out as a newbie needing help and eventually learns enough where they can later help others.  But some newbie questions are posted in such a way where there is no way anyone would want to help.  I especially dislike the ones that are obvious (i.e. "Is it possible to mod an xbox?") where you can find the answer by spending 5 seconds looking.  Or stuff like "I NEED HELP NOWWWWWWW!!!!" and reposting 2 minutes later with "WHY WON'T SOMEONE HELP ME???"  Certain posts like these are just asking to be ridiculed.  If it is a valid question asked in a polite and proper way, most people would be willing to help.

I do have to make a comment about your quote though.
this thread is GAY - yup, said it - how much time do YOU have on your hands buddy that you feel the need to write up a huge post to bash people you don't know and obviously don't care about??

I thought I remembered something about this.  Then it hit me.  It was number 10 in the original post!   jester.gif
10.) Use the Word "Gay" To Describe Everything
Just call your problems "gay". It's a definite way to make all your problems go away!

Ahh, we've had some laughs haven't we? wink.gif

I love that people think that the purpose of this post is to bash people.  I simply wrote this post to try to get people to think about what they write before they write it.  Yes, it's sarcastic and that may rub some people the wrong way, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of the questions asked on this forum could be answered through some simple looking.

Thank you, dewmonger, for acknowledging the fact that even though I wrote this I still make a point of being as helpful as possible and answering as many questions as I can.

This thread just keeps on getting dragged up every couple of weeks it seems. wink.gif

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9