xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: What Modchip Should I Choose ?  (Read 2936 times)

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
What Modchip Should I Choose ?
« on: January 03, 2004, 08:52:00 PM »

Well I am in the market for a chip as well.  Not sure how they all work just yet.  But I kinda wanna go for the solderless chips.

Are any of the Xecuters solderless?  

If not,  any good tips on getting the soldering skills up to par?

And is it worth it to put Linux on the Xbox?  I would like to upgrade to the largest drive available.  

Someone had mentioned a chart.  I need a place where I can compare chips together.

Thanks,  I know I am a newbie here sorry for the redundancy. beerchug.gif  beerchug.gif

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »

in case you arent aware, whats_cube said is outdated, the usb adaptors have been removed in the B batch, so i'd still reccomend an x23b pro  love.gif to any reading this

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

Tommy Vercetti,
did you even click the link in the first post? It has most of the answers you just asked.

pipes59,
PIRCAY ie GAME DOWNLOADING is the biggest taboo on Xbox-Scene.. just don't discuss it. We don't support it here, and threads about it will be locked, edited, and moved to the garbage bin, and there is a reasonable chance for a banning.

sant0s

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

Hi,
the x-bit modchip is still not avaible yet, becouse of some problems. but the modchip sounds quite intressting (2 MB Flash, USB, up to 4 Multibios ect.). So my questionis, if i should wait until its avaible or choose another one. 4 Multibios, does it mean, that i can put for example Linux, Wince, "normal" xbox and "cracked" xbox os  on one xbox? sry when i think absolut wrong, me is a beginner wink.gif
Anyway, important is, if its worth to wait or buy another one.

thx, sant0s

NoLiMiTSoLDieR

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »

Im Lookin For a Good Quality Chip , Whats The Best?

I Wanna Run Backups
Wanna Use X-Box Live!
And Wanna Save Games and other Stuff To My HD.

I Think That X.B.I.T Is A Nice One but its not avail.

Which One u  Recommend ?

geordiedave

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »

Well I have a chameleon 1.3 installed and it works flawlessly, no soldering required unless ya want the power eject switch on , installed within 10 mins with pogo pins perfect function

so I would have to reccomend it

bwanaaa

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (geordiedave @ Jan 14 2004, 11:12 AM)
Well I have a chameleon 1.3 installed and it works flawlessly, no soldering required unless ya want the power eject switch on , installed within 10 mins with pogo pins perfect function

so I would have to reccomend it

What about the xenium chip? How does it compare to the x-ecuter 3?

thewickedjester

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »

Lots of people also ask

"What is the best mod-chip?"

Same thing as "which one"

there isnt really any "best one", they all do pretty much the same thing, but some are solderless, some have bigger flash banks, some have hardware programmers in case of bad flash

just look around for which ever one you think is best

insectgod

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »

I currently have a matrix mod chip in my version 1.1 (I think) xbox. It never stays in place for very long, but I don't really want to get into soldering. My question is can anyone who knows the matrix and a newer (no-solder) chip tell me if they stay put better than the matrix? I know , I know solder would fix that problem but I don't want to fry my xbox. Thanks if anyone can help.

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (insectgod @ Jan 28 2004, 08:39 PM)
I currently have a matrix mod chip in my version 1.1 (I think) xbox. It never stays in place for very long, but I don't really want to get into soldering. My question is can anyone who knows the matrix and a newer (no-solder) chip tell me if they stay put better than the matrix? I know , I know solder would fix that problem but I don't want to fry my xbox. Thanks if anyone can help.

Most solderless chips are just as reliable as the others, not very.  Consider just paying someone to install chip that requires some soldering.  smile.gif

XtremeShrapnel

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (insectgod @ Jan 29 2004, 02:39 AM)

I personally prefer the X-Bit. Very, very easy to install, can be flashed via USB before you even install it, and stays put like a champ, have had absolutely zero problems with this chip!  biggrin.gif

xboxmodderr4u

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »

Seriously.. Soldering is not that big of a deal..  I personally had an extreme phobia of soldering but after fighting with pogo pins and always realigning them had finally driven me to go for it.  Doing a little reasearch on soldering practices, I had found that it really isnt that hard.  So I went for it and gave it a go and next thing I know I was soldering the "DO" point on the motherboard , the one on the top of the mobo which is quite small, and success..  I have two tips that seemed to help me alot.  First use "FLUX".  Its like a dried honey looking substance that spreads the soldering evenly.  It also keeps the solder from sticking to the end of the iron.  Secondly, when your iron is at the right temperature melt a little solder on the tip of the iron and then just apply it to the spot where you want to solder to.  This will free up one of your hands.  It really is very easy.  Practice, Practice, Practice.... It is something you should really want to learn because soldering has many applications that you will need to do if you are a so called "modder".. Good luck and be confident.. You can do it...

OscarMayer

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »

Hey
    I'm a total n00b, and i was interested in getting a mod chip, so i could backup xbox games. i dont prefer to do soldering at, all, and all i really need my mod chip to do is play backups of my games. i looked at some newer chips, such as the Xenium, which comes with a solder-less adaptor, but i heard that soldering is still required to atatch the adapter to the chip. Also, i heard that there is a way you can switch your mod chip off to continue xbox live. I know that there is a chart at this site, but frankly, i was a little confused. if its not too much trouble, could someone explain this little dilemna to me?
                                       Thanks a lot,
                                                  OscarMayer

frank10

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »

I installed a xenium over the weekend without much of a problem.  I spent more time taking the box apart than soldering.

I did the quick solder method, it was very easy.  

for the d0 connection, get a magnifying glass.

get a low wat iron, desolder braid, solder, flux, magnifying glass and go for it.

i did practice on an old circuit board for a couple of minutes.

hch

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 01:46:00 AM »

Hope this helps!!!

I have been in the modding scene since less than a month, but these days i have been reading a lot, and everybody seems to have different opinions based on their own experiences. So here comes mine:

I got an xbox over 1 year ago, and after spending a lot of money buying 7 games, i finally get bored of playing same games so my xbox stood resting since last christmas. One day i was searching something at google and discovered a news about modding your console using only exploits. It made me happy as i had consoles since the beginning of times, as follows: NES, GameGear, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS and PS2 before Xbox. None of them was modded because i was scared of frying my money...

After considering that my xbox was not giving any fun to me, i decided to "risk" it and try some of the exploits to do anything new with my box. I read a lot, downloaded lots of software, info, exploits, tutorials... and then my great doubts came, everybody seemed to have problems with bios versions, hotswapping, and nothing was clear. I tried some things, always scared to get my box useless, with no success. But at that point i wanted to do something with the green box!!!

So i found a site selling mod chips. New problem, which one should i take? Reading forums again blah blah blah, i decided to take a solderless chip, because i had no soldering skills and neither the tools to do that. I bought a Xecuter 2.3Lite+ and i had it at home next day (great delivering company!!!) I opened the box, installed the chip following the tutorials at the xecuter site, and with some minor adjustments to the pogo pins, all working. Really easy, so i recommend all you scared of soldering or modding your box to do it. I have the console on a table, i never move it from there, so i don't think the chip will move from its working position, and i am having a lot of fun with the xbox again, playing emulators, divx movies and my backuped games biggrin.gif

Wish I could have done this before!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11