xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MS Dashboard Update Games  (Read 1149 times)

nobodyimportant

• Archived User
MS Dashboard Update Games
« on: January 24, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (dtechlogic @ Dec 16 2003, 06:50 PM)
Well guys i don't know why you have problem with dashboard when you do the update. I have never encounter any problem with mine when it does the update.

If you have a mod chip, you won't see any problems.  But if you are doing soft mods with fonts or audio hacks, they won't work anymore because the update fixes the flaws they exploit.

spinaroonisucka

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »

OK heres the deal. I will try to simplify this matter. When you turn on your xbox, the ms bios will load the file "xboxdash.xbe" This is the ms dashboard. When you install a mod chip, you have a number of options, the easiest one being - download a bios that has a different boot sequence. (I.E. The Xecuter 2 bios). These bios's will boot the executable (the xboxdash.xbe file) in a different order. Example: My Xecuter 2 bios will boot "evoxdash.xbe" first, then if that is not found it will load up "xboxdash.xbe" Now, on the root of my C drive, I installed Evox. I named the xbe file "evoxdash.xbe" and left the ms one named "xboxdash.xbe" What this does is allow me to turn off my switch and load up the ms bios. If i turn the switch on, my xecutor 2 bios will load up "evoxdash.xbe" becasue that is first in the boot sequence, which is evox. If i turn the switch off, the ms bios will load "xboxdash.xbe" which is the ms dashboard. I am completly safe from the update.xbe file. When you run the update.xbe file it will update your "xboxdash.xbe" file.

Now here is where people will nuke their dash.

1. they install a modchip, or use an exploit or whatever other means to mod their xbox
2. they install their new dash, and it is named "xboxdash.xbe" (their ms-dash might be renamed to "msdash.xbe" or something else
3. they run the update.xbe file, by downloading new maps, content, etc..
4. the update.xbe file overwrites the previous "xboxdash.xbe" file (which is your dash) with a new ms dash
5. they turn on the xbox and the MS dash loads up even with the chip enabled.

Now here is how to fix it.

You are still running your downloaded bios. The update did not affect this at all. You should still be able to run homebrew code (evox,avalaunch, etc..)
1.turn on the xbox
2.insert an evox boot disk ( you should still be running your bios at this point and therefor be able to read the evox disk)
3.ftp to your xbox, rename your ms dash (xboxdash.xbe) file to something else and reupload your dash  and name it "xboxdash.xbe"
4.eject the evox disk
5.restart the xbox
you should be fine again at this point

to prevent this from happening agian
1. flash your bios with one that supports a new boot sequence
2. Name your dash to one of the options in the boot order before "xboxdash.xbe"
3. Name your ms-dash back to "xboxdash.xbe"

Sorry for the long post, hope this clarifies the problem for some people

spinaroonisucka

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

Moral of the story: keep an evox boot disk handy. Splinter cell got me with the dash update once. Then i popped in my evox boot disk and re-uploaded my dash. Then quickly got a bios with a new boot sequence

Bwsk8

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

Here is two more.

Project Gotham Racing 2
Outlaw Volleyball

derekmasses

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:25:00 PM »

ok...i have the problem, where my original msdash wont work, i get the 21 error code, but evox works with no errors. so i cant turn off the modchip or goto my original xboxdash...i think this is what everyoen is talking about... so do i have to fallow the instructions from that one guy who posted??? or do something else?

ralphwiggums

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »

questions that need clearing up.....

what if i re-copy over the entire c partition from a good drive?

does the update modify the kernel in anyway?

( i guess that if it mods the original eeprom, i could always reflash over w/my Xenium backup...)

b-gates

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

uhh.gif

b-gates

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »

Cool, thanks for your reply man.

Unfortunately the guy who chipped my xbox didn't back up my C. Said he forgot. However I can get my friend to send me a copy of his on CD.  Reckon that would work?

I already have evoX sitting in an email account somewhere so I don't need to look for it. Just d/l the fecker and burn it to CD again.

The other thing I have is SlaYer's Auto installer (says 1 on one disk and 2.8 on the other disk) which both have evoX too. It also has an option to "rebuild retail HD"

Would that fix it for me? I was going to do it but I was worried I'd loose all my game saves so I thought I'd come on here and see whagwan.

hopefully I can get it fixed and working will little trouble and without loosing anything or fuckling anything else up!

Also, once I do get it sorted, can I still go on Live with the chip off and with original games or has this messed it up for that permanently?

I'll go buy a proper crossover cable tonight too.

Any help is appreciated cos I don't know wtf I'm doing!

cheers

Lee

Ha|o

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

spinaroonisucka's little 'clarifying' post really did clarify things. What I don't get is why would your dashboard get nuked in the first place? From what spinaroonisucka said, you can only get it nuked if your dash has the xboxdash.xbe name. Simply do what he said (rename the new dash and leave the ms one the same), and you should be fine. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

b-gates

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »

smile.gif

nfs911

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

i palyed star wars clone wars, counter-strike, rainbow six three and still no dash problem, of cour I got unleashx but its called evoxdash,xbe

joao_pm

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

I just solved the problem on my box.
My problem was simmilar to one reported earlier in this thread: after Ninja Gaiden, I could no longer switch to my msdash, although evox and everything else seemed to work. I have boxplorer installed on my harddisk so I started it from evox. Luckily, I had two files on my x:\ drive, xboxdash.xbe and msxboxdash.xbe which were originally the same, although evox.ini used the latter to load my msdash. This file was probably updated accidentaly, but the other one was fine. Of course, all I had to do was copy xboxdash.xbe to msdxboxash.xbe and it worked.
So, before re-installing everything, why not try to replace this file?!

camaroman33

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »

i am trying to update my ms dash because i think i nuked it. but when i try to update the software with one of those games nothing happens. how can i get the correct files another way??

fish123456

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

Ninja Gaiden zapped my xbox all to he|| as well.  Only thing is, I'm not using a chipped box.  I soft-modded mine using the mech assault save game exploit and installed linux.  I don't actually get an error when I start mine up, rather, it reboots forever.  It begins to display the dashboard (you can make out some of the green circles that fly around when it loads), but then it freezes and reboots.

Since I don't have it modded, I haven't backed up anything on the disk.  This is in part b/c I'm a noob.  So, without meaning to sound dumb (if it's not too late already), is there a way to restore the C:\ drive w/o a backup from my specific drive, meaning, my friend's drive?  If so, does this require that my friend and/or I have a mod-chip installed?  I'm guessing it probably does, but I'm constantly surprised at what everyone here is doing to their xboxes.

Thanks in advance!!!

jonny_eh

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »

Without access to your dash or games, or a modchip, the xbox is useless (unless you get a modchip).

A good way to protect yourself from accidentally accessing live is to just unhook the ethernet cable plugged into your xbox. All the games that I have seen grey out the menu item for accessing xbox live (and therefore messing up your system) when the xbox isn't plugged into a network.

I had the opposite problem, I needed the update because I wanted to do a soft 'sploit with a usb memory stick and a usb->xbox keyboard dongle. The thing is, you need the live update in order for the usb memory stick to work.

Hope that helps.
Pages: [1] 2 3