xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Solder Points On A 1.1 = No Video  (Read 465 times)

crusty_punk

• Archived User
Solder Points On A 1.1 = No Video
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

I have a 1.1 with a Sharp TSOP.

I soldered the R7R4, the R7D3 and the extra wire. When I boot the xbox it didn't do anything.

I checked my solder points and they all looked good. I tried to boot the xbox again and the same thing happened. I removed the extra wire and the bridges and the xbox booted fine without any problems. I re soldered the bridges, booted and no audio / video.

I have been searching for tutorials and came across one that only shows the bottom pads and the extra wire leaving the top pads untouched. I tried that and still got no audio / video. I removed the solder from the pads again and the extra wire and everything is fine again.

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks in advance.

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Update:

I re soldered the bottom pads and the extra wire leaving the top pads open. The xbox boots to unleashx. I ftp'd evox with the cromwell bios to the xbox. I started evo and went to the utility where I can flash and selected cromwell. It told me that its write protected.

so whats with the top pads throwing an error? This is probably my 5th or 6th TSOP flash and I have never had any of the pads give me problems like this one.

(The reason why I want to flash the cromwell bios is  because I want to make this a Linux only xbox so I can host a website.)

I guess I'll try again... I know the points are correct and I know that the soldering is fine. I just don't get it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
OK.. I just read about someone having the same problem and people were telling them to solder seperate wires to the top pads and to join them right before they want to flash.

I'll try that and report back....

This post has been edited by crusty_punk: Mar 16 2012, 01:20 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »

That's exactly what you have to do.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Mar 16 2012, 01:25 AM

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

sweet, youre online.... so glad.

I just did exactly that, however it did not work. I desoldered the wires and one just came off. I totally just lifted a pad. this is the very first time this has happened...

I know that there has to be an alternate soldering point for the top pads.
Looking down at the board and the TSOP is on the left, I lifted the left pad. The right one looks good. I'm using a low wattage soldering iron. I think it's because I soldered, de soldered, re soldered, de soldered and resoldered etc...

You're the TSOP guru... Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope.

This post has been edited by crusty_punk: Mar 16 2012, 01:45 AM

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »

SHIT !!

I just lifted both pads.
It's toast isn't it?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »

Not at all. You need one wire connected anywhere on any of the red lines, and one anywhere on any of the blue lines. These are the two wires you twist together just before flashing. You join the yellow and pale blue on the underside of the motherboard, and you connect the Sharp 5v point (any of the purple lines connected to the 5v pin on the LPC - pin 6).

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »

I'm not familiar with the colors your talking about...
I mean, I know my colors, but I dont know what association they have to the situation. Is it possible you meant to post a photo?

Also, the pads on the bottom are good and still connected to each other. The "Sharp" wire is still connected as it's suppose to be. Are you saying that I need to trace the top pads to a suitable solder point?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »

The photo is in the link I posted earlier......

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Mar 16 2012, 04:12 AM

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »

sorry man, I thought that you just used underlined text.
I'll check that out.

thanks!

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »

ok, I got it!
Thanks Heimdall... now I just need to figure out this cromwell business.
I'm pretty sure that evox can't flash cromwell, right?

Here is what happened:
I soldered the points in the photo, but instead of twisting them I attached them to a switch. I loaded evox, went to the flash menu and right before I pressed "A" I flipped the switch and it said "Unknown Flash Type"... That means that evox can not flash it right?

Any Tips?

Movax

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »

Assuming your soldering etc is correct:

It can't flash the SHARP TSOP, has nothing to do with what bios it is.

You need to use raincoat.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »

I'm sure Evox will flash a Sharp TSOP.

We need to know what the error message is, in detail. It will be something like:

manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00
Flash Type xxxxxxx

The numbers and the xxxxxxxx are important. Once we know that we can sort this out.

Movax

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

I have never flashed a Sharp, so I was just guessing. (The guy in the thread Heimdall linked says he had success with raincoat.) He did say Evox tried and froze. It should give you a manufacturers/device ID regardless.

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »

I just tried to go get the error info, but when I turned it on, it booted to Unleash, I navigated to my apps, and it just shut off.

day before yesterday, when i was working on this it booted just fine.

Unrelated to EvoX flashing cromwell:
I think there might be an issue with the A/V port. I have a sticky sammy so I tap the lid to open it and half the time it shuts off. I took it out of the case and had each component separate. I booted and used the blunt end of my torx driver to tap on the components individually to try and isolate the problem and everything was fine until I tapped the A/V port. (When I say "tap" I mean exactly that, not some epic hammer blow, just a little tap)

While I have been working on this I have been careful to not tap or bump any part of the xbox. I did, however, set the fan speed to x50 in Unleash and I'm wondering if the vibration is causing some sort of effect on the A/V port.

I need to get to the bottom of that issue before I go any further.
I'll try to have that error info sometime today.

This post has been edited by crusty_punk: Mar 17 2012, 02:41 PM

crusty_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

Manufacturer ID 89 Device ID 00
!! Unknown Flash Type!!

However, my xbox is still shutting itself off. Sometimes it shuts off during the flubber, sometimes it lets me go an hour... I still haven't gotten to the bottom of that issue, but I was able to get that error info.

Also, I got that cromwell bios from the usual places.

EDIT:

I just pulled the foxlink PSU out and replaced it with a Delta and everything is fine. Stupid Foxlink PSU.

Now I'm ready to rock and roll.

This post has been edited by crusty_punk: Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Pages: [1] 2