xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is It A Bad Chip Or Is It Me?  (Read 27 times)

paradigmapc

• Archived User
Is It A Bad Chip Or Is It Me?
« on: October 28, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »

This probably wont help you fix the issue, but I have had almost the same problem. I had a 1.0 board with the solder still in the holes. Sometimes when I started the chip it the xbox LED would start red, stop, start red, stop then start blinking red and yellow and sometimes stop or sometimes try to boot the ms dash. While it was doing this I could never even access Xeniun OS by starting witht he eject button. Each Time it did this I had to eiher bang on the bottom of the box (Dont Do This, I Was Just Mad) or take it apart and realign the chip again (A pain to do everyday).  The way I stopped this was, I VERY CAREFULLY drilled out all of the solder in the holes, replaced the chip and never had that problem again.

So with what you have told, it is only 1 of 2 things in my oppinion, *A Bad Chip* or a misaligned chip. I would say it is a bad chip because when i was going through my ordeals, I was often messing around with the chip while the xbox was running (Yet again DO NOT DO THIS, I was hoping mine would break so I would have to buy a new one, but it didnt, tough machine) and even if I took the chip and shook, turned or removed it from the xbox, it would still try to go to the MSDASH. I would try again, to see if you could get a chip replacement. It sounds like they gave you a run around the first time.

Be advised what I have just described to you as me doing was pretty stupid and if tried could make your XBOX a nice paperwieght. Also all of my experiances were with an Xenium ICE solderless chip on a 1.0 board.

AlienPoison51

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »

The Box I am currently modding (or trying to) is a v1.4. I also have a v1.0 though and after reading your reply I opened the Box to see what you meant and I do. The pin holes are all filled with solder. Now that's going to be a pain when I finally get to that one. Luckily, the v1.4 is not that way, so that problem is all good.

I got a reply once again from Support and he/she suggest that maybe the chip had not been properly flashed at the "factory". He/she is going to get in touch with a tech, so they say, to see if I can hot-swap it. (Replacing the good chip with that bad one while it is already loaded to flash the bad one with a new bios or whatver.) If anyone reading this had any opinions or ideas on that task let me know. I don't want to kill my box (Since this one is fine) by messing with their crappy invention.

Like I said though, one chip works, one doesn't; so the alignment is not a problem.

Oh, thanks a lot for the heads up in the solder in the v1.0. At least I'll know to get a desoldering wire or a drill as you used.

I know what you mean with the Box smashing too. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that slamming the box on the table when you're mad, doesn't help and makes it worse when you realize you just ruined something else! Oh well... lesson learned.

Appreciate the tip paradigmapc!

pezzar

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »

rubbish.

if you have a v1.0 xbox the solder filled LPC is actually an advantage and gives the adapter pogo pins something to bite into. i have modded many v1.0 boxes and never had a problem. always remember to clean the LPC first with a fibre glass prep pen

AlienPoison51

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

Another helpful hint. So just rub the bottom of the pogo pins to allow a better connection? Should I also rub some of the surface area off of the solder or should it be good as is? Just curious...

Is this starting to get off topic? Cool.

Folonex

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »

First of all, I got the SP.Ice from there, it took 14 days to deliver which I paid next day delivery on, so they had to resend one, since they wouldn't do anything until it got delivered. When it did the d0 wire was cleanly broken off the black part.

I contacted them and it took almost 3 weeks before I could get a replacement, because they basically, kept implying it was installed wrong, until I said fine I'd come see you and you can check it because I know what I am doing. (Yes I was being sarcastic, in which they said theres no need for that, simply send it back and we'll replace it) Hmm, I then said they should refund the shipping costs, which they didn't.

So in all the website isn't great at all, and the support is rubbish.

pezzar

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »

check the list of approved resellers on the following link

http://www.teamxodus...=viewlink&cid=1