xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: 2.0 Out Next Week!  (Read 751 times)

Ultima111

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« on: May 21, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »

muhaha.gif I had my doubts, I really did but it's gonna b here next week!!!

Let's get the features straight!!!

Xbox goes RTOS in Xenium OS(info) 2.0

We've promised you it was coming. We promised you it would be groundbreaking. We told you it would be 'soon'.... and it's taken longer then even WE expected. We've promised you there was good reason. Now, it's time for us to lay it all on the line.
It is coming... In fact, it is nearly here. Within 2 days, the first round of betas will make their way out of the innermost circle of OzXodus, and into the hands of our friends and supporters.

It is groundbreaking... In fact, it could change the face of the scene forever. We've told you this before.... now let us take a moment to explain what we have done.
Several months ago, the entire OzXodus team sat down together to discuss the future development of XOS. We decided we had 2 options. We could either stay with a Cromwell(info) based "os" or completely re-implement XOS, from the ground up, as an entirely new operating system. We weighed both options very carefully before making our decision.
Cromwell was a great advancement in Xbox development. It's innovators and core supporters (Andy, Milosch, Ed, Oliver, DMP, etc..) brought the first legal firmware replacement, and it will have it's place in both Xbox and open-source history. However, Cromwell, as a basis for an operating system, is severely limited. It was never meant to be anything more then a firmware, and Linux loader. Designing and programming around that fact has proved a difficult and slow process. So, instead of continuing to work in a restricted and inappropriate environment, we instead opted to rewrite XOS, from the ground up, Cromwell free.

As a true, independent, microkernel operating system, XOS2 provides a complete basis for potentially ANY utility, tool, application, or service to be written to run directly on XOS. It provides an extensive set of low level and mid level functionality to any higher level applications and services. It has a full driver subsystem, to support current and future hardware. (Thankfully, this made v1.6 support rather easy!) It has a full graphics API, including UI primitives, a feature rich text rendering engine, a loader for various image formats (jpeg, gif, png, bitmap, etc) and preliminary GPU hardware acceleration. There is a complete Berkeley sockets TCP/IP implementation, including support for BOOTP, RARP, ARP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, and DNS protocols, allowing extensive network applications and services to be created. We've implemented a complete embedded scripting engine based on Lua 5.0 from TecGraf. The list of CORE functionality goes on and on.....
What does this mean for you, the end user? It means that, now, the potential of XOS is LIMITLESS.

Here is a list of just some of the things we've been able to do under our new environment, already, which you will see in the beta:
* Greatly improved user interface, combining crisp graphics with intuitive navigation, utilizing menus, popups, file selectors, alert/information/question dialogs, and task-specific dialogs such as an IP keypad and straightforward onscreen keyboard
* Brand new video drivers, providing a much cleaner, clearer picture
* Built-in FTP server, without relying on launching a second app or OS
* Full client/server SMB (Windows Networking) support, integrated directly with the file system drivers, allowing you to copy files Xbox->pc and pc->Xbox, from either XOS or your PC
* A preliminary telnet server (very much a work in progress, but something we hope will become a valuable tool in the future)
* Full DHCP support, with static IP fallback
* A new "Virtual Bank" system, eliminating the need for selecting bank modes, and greatly simplifying the flashing process
* A straightforward HDD upgrade wizard
* A detailed exception handler, which will generate an error report file to help us diagnose problems and fix bugs more rapidly
* Full no-copy, asynchronous (read: FAST) USB device support, including support for USB keyboard and mouse (UI integration still in progress)
* USB "Pen drive" support, allowing you to flash a bios and copy files from a USB memory stick or other mass storage device
* Improved HDD support, covering a wider range of drives and setups, including LBA48 and multiple hard drives
* UDMA support (disabled for beta) for maximum HDD performance
* File system cache for efficient file operations
* Raw I/O support for HDD operations (potential for utilities such as defrag, scandisk, etc)
* Vastly improved flashing speeds. (Erase, Flash, and Verify 256k in 6 seconds, 1 meg in 25.5 seconds!)
* Fully preemptive, multitasking kernel, supporting threading, semaphores, mailboxes, message passing, critical sections, etc.... with a task switch overhead of under 0.2 microseconds... allowing all services and applications to run concurrently and efficiently, without stability concerns
* DLL support to load add-ins and additional future functionality from HDD or flash
* Flash Unconstrained Core Kernel Initialization Technology, allowing you to load bioses directly from HDD, without flashing them to a bank

And some things which will not be in the beta, but which are being developed currently, and will be in an XOS-dev (unstable/testing) release shortly after:
* Full Web server for flashing and remote operation
* UI Skinning/Scripting (This actually exists in the beta, and is how we do all our UI, but the API will not be exposed at first)
* Screensavers

A couple of things that are "on the drawing board." Initial testing and proof-of-concept implementations have been done:
* Dash-In-Flash, allowing you to use XOS as your dashboard
* Bios Cooking... live bios configuration and extension, done in a way completely unlike anything that's been done or demonstrated before!
* Live update

Finally, we will be developing a series of applications and utilities to run on xos2. One of the most amazing things about XOS2 is that it opens the door to a whole new world of development and distribution methods for legal applications and utilities. For our first application, we're considering a port of a popular emulator..... More on that to come.

I'd like to apologize for the fact that "soon" has become such a long time. That time has passed very quickly for us, as we've been buried under this heap of code for awhile. For you, it must've seemed like an eternity. My only hope is that now you can perhaps see why this amazing feat has taken so long. Now, within the next few days, you'll be able to appreciate the results of all of the time and effort we've put into this, and why we believe it is the best work any of us have ever done.

Stay tuned for some more exciting news, and an extensive video showing some of our favorite features in action, which should be ready in the coming hours.
We will be contacting our initial beta testers individually, starting within the next 24-48 hours, increasing the number of beta testers as results come in, and going to a public beta, and then release, over next week. Please bear with us, as a beta test and release of something this massive is a stressful and time-consuming process.

--Artifex, and the rest of the OzXodus team

P.S. Just a friendly reminder that users with clone chips should use XOS2 only at their own risk. We will not support any "problems" with xos2 running on non-authentic Xeniums.

I had my doubts.....but I was wrong, it is not vaporware...

What I would like to know, is why there is still no http flashing!!! I hate making those gay ass CD's, but it is all worth it now that we can ftp the bios files to the H.D., and load as many as we want with FUCKIT(flashing on the fly)!!!

I am glad we have ftp...but dlls and extensions!!! This is gonna b great!

What about the usb pen flashing!!! That is sooo cool!

Anyways, why must we wait yet another week...I thoughtt the whole point of delaying the release is so it was bug-fixed...and STILL NO WEBFLASHING!?!?!

Ok, well I am happy, and will continue to be happy, this is really groundbreaking...no more waiting 3 months for updates, now I can write my own dll's and other ppl will start writing apps for it...I can't wait!!!

The beta will be out next week...hopefully my Xenium doesn't go all haywire like last time I tried updating the o.s.

I bet I will be in the O.S. a LOT more now...

Although I wonder what they mean by the "Next few days"...

Remember the saying "Unlike others, we only begin releasing information DAYS before we release.." dry.gif

Hopefully this is not the case!

I Was losing faith OzXodus..GREAT WORK!!

Mad props.

Bwsk8

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »

torch.gif dumbxx

EDIT: With all those fancy words they make me totally forget. Where is the LCD support! grr.gif

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ultima111 @ May 21 2004, 03:46 PM)
muhaha.gif I had my doubts, I really did but it's gonna b here next week!!!

Let's get the features straight!!!

I had my doubts.....but I was wrong, it is not vaporware...

What I would like to know, is why there is still no http flashing!!! I hate making those gay ass CD's, but it is all worth it now that we can ftp the bios files to the H.D., and load as many as we want with FUCKIT(flashing on the fly)!!!

What about the usb pen flashing!!! That is sooo cool!

Anyways, why must we wait yet another week...I thoughtt the whole point of delaying the release is so it was bug-fixed...and STILL NO WEBFLASHING!?!?!

Ok, well I am happy, and will continue to be happy, this is really groundbreaking...no more waiting 3 months for updates, now I can write my own dll's and other ppl will start writing apps for it...I can't wait!!!

The beta will be out next week...hopefully my Xenium doesn't go all haywire like last time I tried updating the o.s.

I bet I will be in the O.S. a LOT more now...

Although I wonder what they mean by the "Next few days"...

Remember the saying "Unlike others, we only begin releasing information DAYS before we release.." dry.gif

Hopefully this is not the case!

I Was losing faith OzXodus..GREAT WORK!!

Mad props.

Uh,, settle down Beavis! laugh.gif

Yea its looking good,  I havent had any issues with the V1.1 yet,  (only been using it for a week though)  so I may just stick with that until the bugs are worked outta this "NEW" OS.

And whats dll's and extensions mean? huh.gif

Artifex

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ultima111 @ May 21 2004, 08:46 PM)

Yah... ftp is cool and all...

Webserver is on it's way... we were too focused on the OS itself, and writing pages and cgi script interfaces and callbacks and etc etc etc for the webserver kind of got put on the back burner for awhile.  It'll get done, and will be cool.

But... all that aside... maybe you missed what, we think, is the BEST feature currently in 2.0...

SMB!!!  (A.k.a. "samba", "Windows Networking", "Windows Filesharing", etc)

Or, perhaps, I didn't clarify well enough...

With SMB support.... your xbox will show up in your network neighborhood, just like a PC....

You open it up, and there's all your drives....  copy a file?  Just drag it...

Oh... and it's FAAASSSTTT!

On the reverse side...  You can plop bioses in a shared folder on your pc... and browse the network from the xbox side... and flash the bios, right off of your pc, over the network, on the xbox!!

Screw FTP... Screw Webserver.... it cant get any more convenient then that! :-D

--Artifex

muerte

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (Artifex @ May 21 2004, 03:07 PM)
Yah... ftp is cool and all...

Webserver is on it's way... we were too focused on the OS itself, and writing pages and cgi script interfaces and callbacks and etc etc etc for the webserver kind of got put on the back burner for awhile.  It'll get done, and will be cool.

But... all that aside... maybe you missed what, we think, is the BEST feature currently in 2.0...

With SMB support.... your xbox will show up in your network neighborhood, just like a PC....

On the reverse side...  You can plop bioses in a shared folder on your pc... and browse the network from the xbox side... and flash the bios, right off of your pc, over the network, on the xbox!!

--Artifex

I <3 you Artifex!

csyberblue

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:18:00 PM »

I have a few questions about the new operating system that hopefully fixes things.

I have a 160gb hard drive in it now, only appearing as 137gb.  With the new operating system, it should detect all the space that I really have.  What I want to know is, am I going to have to format my hard drive to get the extra space?

And when I do get the extra space, is EvoX and Xbox Media Center going to detect my G drive?

I'm pretty excited about this new operating system.  It's great that they're still working hard on improving it.

Bwsk8

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (Artifex @ May 21 2004, 04:07 PM)

How fast are we talking? Faster than ftp?

Ultima111

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (Artifex @ May 21 2004, 02:07 PM)

--Artifex

Lol..

I want to say thank you Artifex, and ALL of OZXodus for the great new features, and endless possibilities!

BTW Arti, I am Using Linux(Gentoo for my P.C.) can I still use Samba?

(I am very good with Samba under Windows...)

But, yeah I am really excited about O.S.v2

Lol, so did you guys use XDK to make all the features? I mean I know you didn't use Cromwell...so I guess it is sort of a stupid question...

Anyways, UBER more props to the TEAM!!! love.gif

Heet

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

love.gif

rothbart

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

Sounds great guys!

And really, webflashing.  Am I the only one around here that doesn't like to flash their BIOS all the time?  I don't mind going through the regular hoops for the (hopefully very) occasional reflash.  But file management via Samba... THAT is something I'm looking forward to.  

And I'm betting if the API/DLL/Extensions are easy to use, we'll start seeing some cool unexpected utilities pop up.  I'm curious about the emulator though...  I guess just a proof of concept exercise?

All in all, very impressive.  Sorry you guys caught so much flak for your <ahem> early announcement.  Bet it doesn't happen again.   tongue.gif

Ultima111

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »

LOL thats halarious... better get some COLD water to clean that up

Xenium OS 2.0...  Some cool features there.

It will be nice to see the video of the new OS in action. See how good the fonts and video output etc are.

As far as applications being developed for Xenium OS... well i dont think its going to fly. As a developer you could reach 5-10% of the market (at most) by developing for xenium OS or develop with the XDK and reach 100% of your target market. If Xenium OS is to be successful then a 256k bios would need to be released (without the special features etc) and even then to get people running a specific bios would be hard. In this case I suppose any Xenium OS apps would have to run from their bios app, then if the user wishes to use 'standard' apps they could boot to another bank or perhaps load another bios with pbo

That being said the main benifit of Xenium OS would be legaly compiled binaries available for download (the biggest hurdle for the xbox scene)

The other feature is its modular design... It could have many advantages in the future...
They have been able to support USB Pen Drives in bios, hopefully they might be able to do the same with a USB harddrive (although slow at only 11MBits) and Video Capture perhaps?!? We'll see...

Oviously it is going to take quite a while before Xenium OS would be as mature as the MS win2k kernal based OS.

Lots of fancy new features on this release. some of them i would use, other not. But most that I would use are available in software.  

[Rant]
Whats with all the 'edit your bios on your xbox' nowadays? When i get a new bios, I change my boot order/paths colors remove the animation and trademark and im done. Why would i need to change anything after im done?
[/Rant]

Lots of work I can see... Very strong platform for a modchip.

Xecuter was successful because the only platform was based on the MS bios. To make Xenium OS successful the install base would have to be very large.

Good luck

ravage73

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 01:32:00 PM »

i hope theres progressive support. this new os will kick ass!

silentsnake

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

I said last week when OS2 comes out I would cream myself, adter reading this I can't hold it..... splat

Billy-X

• Archived User
2.0 Out Next Week!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

love.gif  love.gif  love.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9