xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Your Recommendations  (Read 48 times)

zx6r6

• Archived User
Your Recommendations
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

Hello,
The BEST thing you will ever do with your xbox is to put XBMC on it! On the face of it it just seems to be a multimedia player that happens to play pretty much any media format. When you delve a bit deeper into it it's far more than that and shows just how crap ANY other media player is. Can't recommend it enough.

1.Of all the methods of modding I found chipping to be easiest and safest, X3 soldered would be my choice.
2.If your going to be streaming mainly from your pc/mac you won't need a massive drive. As always though, the bigger the better.
3.80mm fan mod. Can be fiddley but my xboxes are nearly silent now.
4.Hell yer!
5.DVD remote kit essential (cheap on ebay). I found Logic 3 wireless xbox controllers good considering their aftermarket and cheap.

LCD is useful but I still tend to turn TV on. Get a set of componant leads if your tv supports it, failing that genuine RGB scart leads.

The only games I play on my xbox are emulated ones, so good to play C64, Spectrum etc etc on a Plasma tv smile.gif
The only downside to the xbox as a media centre is native high definition video, it doesn't have the power to play them properly, it will upscale to 720p or 1080i however.