xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6b Won't Boot From My 2.6ce  (Read 91 times)

ubernewb

• Archived User
1.6b Won't Boot From My 2.6ce
« on: December 31, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

stuffie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »

Ok, so I assumed that I was having a problem with my LCP connections, so I went ahead and tore the whole thing down.  I cleaned all the pads, and removed all the solder.  Then I went back through and resoldered each of the connections.  Unfortunately, I still have exactly the same problem.  It doesn't seem like it would be all that easy to do the same thing twice.

If my chip didn't come with the correct FlashBIOS version for the 1.6b would it frag?  Because that's the behavior I'm seeing.  The soldering is pretty easy with the rebuild PCB, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Please help.

dcmad

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

unfortunately its got to be down to your soldering m8, if it was due to the chip only having the flashbios 3.0.1 on it then u would get a steady green light then it turn orange after about 10 seconds give or take, if u r sure your header pins r good it might just be down to your lpc rebuild, if in doubt at all, take the pcb off and do the rebuild using wires. if u have a multimeter u can test for continuity on the lpc rebuild on the topside of the board using this diagram, just put your meter on the pin header and marked points shown below.if all points test ok then it saves u ripping the lpc rebuild out.

user posted image

sorry cant remember where i got pic to give credit, hope this helps

DcMaD

Rooble

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »

wink.gif from the pin, the where the arrow is pointing... didnt really realise it at the time.. after about 4 hours of resoldering, i checked the site and presto, i had a blonde moment! huh.gif

stuffie

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

Thanks guys, that is exactly the kind of information I needed.  It's really frustrating troubleshooting when there could be about 20 different things wrong.  Now I know that I can rule out a bios problem, so that's one thing I can mark off.

I'm gonna take my continuity tester to the XBox using dcmad's post, which should be extremely helpful.  I should be able to significantly narrow down the number of places where I can have a problem.

I'll let you know what I find.

stuffie

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

Ok, so here is what I found.  All of the LAD points are connected correctly according to the picture posted above, as is the D0 point.  Using a photo of the top of the motherboard I also checked a variety of other pins for the proper connections by following the wires the pins connect to on the motherboard until they reach a port or a part.  These all checked out fine as well.  There are a few pins that I was either unable to test, or didn't appear to do anything.  2 of the pins disappear under a chip and I can't seem to locate where they go.  The remaining 3 pins don't seem to connect to anything whatsoever.

Does anyone know how to test pins 2, 3, 12, 13, and 14?  Other than those, it appears everything else is hooked up right.

Although, I did see that I have a little solder in the hole where pin 6 should be.  The pin is removed, so its not connected to anything.  I would have gone ahead and removed the solder from there as well, but its not hidden beneath the LPC rebuild board.

Any ideas?

mobei

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »

I had the exact same problem as you, with the exact same setup.  I spent the best part of an entire day trying to solve it before getting the thing working.

How I managed it?  By ditching the LPC PCB board and manually soldering the wires to the various points.  With the PCB I de and resoldered everything twice but got the exact same outcome each time (boot MS dash no probs with chip disabled, with chip enabled Xbox restarts 3 times before fragging).  When I removed the PCB and connected the points with wires it worked first time!
This was my first solder mod and I can't say I found soldering the wires any more difficult than using the PCB, with the added bonus that it actually worked.

stuffie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

I think my rebuild PCB is all connected OK now.  I checked all of the connections using the graphic posted above and each pin checks out.  I'm considering going back and ripping the whole thing out to just do a wire install, but over at the xecuter forums there's a large topic about how the wire install looms going out with the current 2.6ce chips are bad.

I was just hoping someone knew how to test the rest of these pins so I could try to track down the one that is causing the problem.  I think I've eliminated all but those 5, but unfortunately they all look ok by just looking at them.

I'm really not looking forward to having to take the pinheader back out, that would be a nightmare.

AlTheKiller

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(stuffie @ Jan 2 2005, 03:30 PM)
Does anyone know how to test pins 2, 3, 12, 13, and 14?  Other than those, it appears everything else is hooked up right.

dcmad

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »

sad.gif

DcMaD

when i removed the pin header i tried to do a wire install and couldn't get it to work even though i did a wire install on my version 1.0 xbox when i needed to flash flashbios 3.0.3 onto some chips for v1.6b xbox's, so maybe wire installs r dodgy on 1.6 xboxs

stuffie

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »

Ok guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help I got trying to diagnose the problems with my chip/install.  I finally got it working, so I wanted to report back as to what happened.  My chip supplier recommended I buy a programmer and flash it with the latest FlashBIOS that way.  They assumed the problem was that an incorrect version of FlashBIOS had be supplied with the chip.  I did, and promptly discovered that my chip could not be flashed.  I tried a number of different computers and cables to little effect.

I contacted the supplier and requested an RMA.  A few days ago, I received the replacement chip.  I hooked the new chip up, turned on the box, and FlashBIOS promptly presented itself on-screen.  So there it is.  A week or two of frustratation and hunting for solder splashes and burnt traces and the problem was indeed the chip all along.  I guess I was lucky enough to get the 1 chip out of 100 that is bad, which is what the supplier estimated was their failure rate.

Anyway, thanks again for the help everyone.

Teitoku

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(stuffie @ Jan 16 2005, 08:05 PM)
Ok guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help I got trying to diagnose the problems with my chip/install.  I finally got it working, so I wanted to report back as to what happened....