xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My Xbox Dosnt Work Anymore?  (Read 71 times)

ADAMWOUNDER

• Archived User
My Xbox Dosnt Work Anymore?
« on: May 31, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »

dude i feel your pain....mine did the same fucking thing....just that i was instaling a matrix chip......i've been at mine now for almost a week and still no luck.......i think it has some thing to do with the bios on our xbox's so i've been told....not really sure either.....i have a post looking for the same answer......just make sure that all the wires are hooked up and that nothing was left out......good luck and let me know how you make out and i'll do like wise.......

Xrocks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

huh.gif

Try contact spray. Be sure your matrix can make a real good contact with all the contacts on the xbox' contacts. Be sure to read the tutorial here http://www.xbox-scen...reparing-d0.php to learn how to clear the "d0" point. After you made sure of these clean all the contacts (both of the xbox board as the matrix with contact spray).

If all still doesnt work follow the same as in this post I replied ( http://forums.xbox-s...=ST&f=3&t=60513 ) and fill the holes with a little soldering tin. Afterwards clean them again with contact spray.

You can easily find out if you did it right and revived your xbox without connecting the drives. Mine suddenly flashed green/yellow (indicating a drive was missing or malfunctioning) or only flashing green (on/off) Then you know your box is not dead. Also I think that the xbox can take a fair level of beating (figurly speaking ofcoz.) Dont think too soon that you blew the mainboard.... or your precious Matrix.

Theories I have what happened with mine:

* Somewhere during alligning (with the power on) I shortcircuited something and thereby damaging the original bios. By retrying to allign I somehow touched 2 contacts and resetting unintentionally the cmos of the original bios (if this *can* be done anyway but probably can since its *just* a motherboard). I never reflashed my matrix. So it's not very likely you damaged the matrix bios. (if you only knew how I treated my matrix chip afterwards  wink.gif )

* One of the LPC connectors was shortcircuited with spilled soldertin. I unintentionally removed by rubbing the contact spray fluid on the board.

* Some kind of bad grounding while tightening the motherboard screw when trying to tighten the matrix to the board.

I really dont know what would be the most obvious (if any of the above). All I know is that when you search the internet for a red/green flashing Xbox you will find its dead and ready to be dumped. DONT give up just yet although of course it might be possible that you really damaged it beyond repair. Compare it with windows giving you a blue screen... It can be almost any unknown error but you'll never know exactly wich error  huh.gif . Must be something good 'ol Bill did intentionally  laugh.gif

In any case: Best of luck to you and be patient. Dont get frustrated (like I did). If it doesnt work aftre many retries put it away. Take a break. Browse the net and visit your favourite forums. I know how you feel I guess.... but it doesnt have to be the worse as in my case. Also check Xodus' site or contact them for support. The have good support and rather quick.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 04:39:00 PM »

I'm glad you decided to solder instead of using pogo pins like the other two homos. Make sure you don't have any solder splashes anywhere and that all of your pins on your header are actually connected to the board and not just held there by flux. Just check continuity from the point on the board to the pin to make sure it's connected. When you find the bad solder joint just heat the joint up... get it pretty hot.. don't be afraid to, as being afraid to heat it up is a common mistake. After both metals are good and hot let the solder flow between them... then take the soldering iron off but try not to move the joint for a few seconds while it cools. Now you should have a good connection. If your xbox does not boot with the chip removed it is because you still have d0 grounded and there is no boot rom on the lpc.

creativedirt

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »

I had a simular problem when trying header pins.  Turns out I had gobbed to much solder on the pins and solder was crossing everything up.  Didn't look like it at all, multi-meters are your friend.  I soldered wires to my header pin and now it works fine.  IMO, wires are the easiest way to go.

nautiazn85

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (creativedirt @ Jun 2 2003, 04:40 AM)
I had a simular problem when trying header pins.  Turns out I had gobbed to much solder on the pins and solder was crossing everything up.  Didn't look like it at all, multi-meters are your friend.  I soldered wires to my header pin and now it works fine.  IMO, wires are the easiest way to go.

Exactly.

Common problem when installing (especially with newbies), there are shorts that exist between connections however are not visible to the naked eye. ALWAYS use multi-meters to check connections before turning on the XBOX.

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (BCfosheezy @ May 31 2003, 04:39 PM)
I'm glad you decided to solder instead of using pogo pins like the other two homos.

If you're gonna be a dick, don't post at all.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (BCfosheezy @ May 31 2003, 04:39 PM)
I'm glad you decided to solder instead of using pogo pins like the other two homos. 

If you're gonna be a dick, don't post at all.

Hehehe

hylo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 10:08:00 AM »

I was trying to put X2 Lite+ but it didnt work out right and I had thir frag horror for few nights and I thought that I burnt my shiny xbox. But I didnt give up I took a magnifying glass to check what I had done to my Xbox mobo and man I really screwed the poor thing instead of using soldering iron to get rid of soder i used a shape edged scew driver and i figured that I broke a trace near the LCP hole. So I figured that I have to solder (nooooooo) that trace otherwise the box was dead anyway.

So after an hour long operation, I managed to make a solder and man it booted and since then its working like a charp. So take a closer look on your LPCs and nar by area of the board maybe you have some solder splash or some broken trace that you would have to take care of.

Hope this will help.