xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Install Questions, Kind Of  (Read 568 times)

Marcheslav

• Archived User
Install Questions, Kind Of
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »

Okay i put in the original HDD and it booted and i am installing xbmc as i type this, so i guess the last issue would be the 500 gb HDD and i have yet to set it to cable select on the adapter jumper

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

Okay so no matter what jumper  settings i put the adapter on it still frags. should i try with a regular ide cable?

(update)
i just tried it using a single ide cable and it just gives me an error code, so does this mean i have to go the hdm way?

turfster

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

Its probably the sata adapter.  Connect the IDE ribbon to the adapter and the SATA hard drive/power to the adapter.
Maybe the adapter is bad. Look into getting another one. Ask litspliff on here. I think he sells them too.

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »

[ quote name='turfster' date='May 19 2011, 05:33 PM' post='4799694']
Its probably the sata adapter.  Connect the IDE ribbon to the adapter and the SATA hard drive/power to the adapter.
Maybe the adapter is bad. Look into getting another one. Ask litspliff on here. I think he sells them too.
[/quote]

i dont sell the SATA adapters anymore because manufacturers stopped making them to spec. they still work with high-end drives, but if it says "green", "low power", "power saving", or 5900rpm, most SATA board will give error 5,6,or7 sporadically or every time. as far as i can tell, the hd is not ready after POST, and the adapter doesnt tell the IDE controller to wait for the drive. this wasnt always the case, and im not sure if drive firmware has changed, or ifthe SATA board have changed. ive tried 3 brands of HDs  and 3 adapter manufacturers. end result, ive got a pile of sata adapters that only work on PC reliably.

this situation has gotten me out of the game. just no money to be made on large SATA drive installs IMO, but i suppose thats a topic for a different thread...

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »

well, i guess i should mention that when i plug only the hdd in it gives me errors 12 and 13 (that is unformatted) and i believe it is a 7200 rpm drive but i am not sure as it came from an external hdd

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »

error 13 is good. that just means you need to format and install a dashboard.
error 12 is bad. this means your DVD drive is not initializing.

12 can be caused by IDE jumper as well. make sure you have the adapter's jumper set to master, or cable select. be warned some adapters don't have jumper pins, but the compatible ones usually have the points which can be soldered in the absence of pins.

use a slayers disc and run option "restore retail HD to factory".
this will format C, and E, and install M$ dashboard.
that will clear the error 13.

once you have a dashboard, pop in XB partitioner and reformat your F drive with the appropriate cluster size.

after that, pop your slayers disc back in and use ftp to put your custom dashboard in place.

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »

the error twelve makes sense because the dvd drive isnt connected when i boot soley with the adapter because it will frag if both are connected. and that janky adapter wont go into cable select no matter what jumper settings i put it on

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »

whats the model of HD?
pictures of adapter and HD label.
try and get a close up of the jump points on the board so i can read the white PCB lettering. if i remember right, cable select usually means the jumper is removed, but master should work as well.

i can send you one of my SATA adapters for real cheap.
i've got 12 of them...i can't guarantee it will work though.
might be better than what you've got.

EDIT:

moving this thread to the hardware section and using a different title may get more eyes on this.

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

Ill check the model when I get home in a few hours and I think that would be a good idea as well.

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

moving this thread to the hardware section and using a different title may get more eyes on this.

not trying to be a stickler, but someone with a similar problem will be able to find your thread that way
Pages: 1 [2]