xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Duox2 Gs Cromwell On 1.6b Xbox - Fragging  (Read 299 times)

ward78

• Archived User
Duox2 Gs Cromwell On 1.6b Xbox - Fragging
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »

I spent a couple more hours running tests on the the rebuild board and I really can't find anything wrong with it. I even managed to trace the tricky contacts back to points on the top of the motherboard to make sure that the solder joints were good connections. Everything so far has shown that the initial installation was good.

At this point in time I can only guess that it's either a faulty chip or the flashbios on bank1 just didn't work with my board. I suppose I could remove everything and attempt a rebuild just in case but I'll hang on a week or so to see if anyone has any ideas on how to proceed before I start taking stuff apart.

1) Is it feasible that a bad chip or BIOS can damage the motherboard to the point that a replacement is needed?

2) Is it possible that a bad startup can mess up the onboard BIOS or any required files on the HD that another modchip could override and/or fix?

3) In all honesty, am I just better off getting a replacement motherboard and trying a softmod?

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

hey bud. if the board 3FRAGs without the chip (and BT not pulled), then you have done physical damage to the motherboard somewhere. often, its a surface-mount cap or resistor. dont feel like a douche. it happens to the best of us. go over the entire board. top and bottom. also look for solder balls and splashes.

can you take some pictures of the LPC as well?

ward78

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »

After the reinstalling the modchip using the wire method underneath things have been much better. The modchip is working fine and it flashed no problem.

litspliff

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »

as an afternote.

all this is covered in my install tutorial in the section "I F&cked Up!" at the bottom of the tutorial.
link in signature.