xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Duox2 Lite - 1.6b Xbox...inconsistent Bios Boot.  (Read 143 times)

adamrobarts

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite - 1.6b Xbox...inconsistent Bios Boot.
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:51:00 AM »

Hi all - Im helping a mate out with his Xbox atm, it had a hdd problem, but was fixed by a nice dose of SlaYers2.6 smile.gif

Second of all, was an odd problem which had begun to develop - in which sometimes the Chips bios would boot (with the EvoX sheild in the top left) and other times, the M$ bios would load. At the time it started. both bioses ended up just going straight to the MSdash as the person who had done it for him was lazy, but i have now put the EvoX dash in it, and it comes up succussfully whenever the DuoX2Lite's bios boots.

The thing is: Only about 1/15 times does it boot into the chip's bios. It will jsut keep booting into the MS bios instead. When it finally run into the Chip's bios, it works flawlessly, but until then, how on earth do i get it to boot into the EvoX Bios consistently, rather than 1/10-20 times?

FIRSTLY!!! I have updated the bios to the m8 v16 EvoX in an attempt to fix it, to no avail...Also, i have unsoldered the 'wire-connections' for the LPC, and have redone it so its sitting nicely on a pinheader, and it still has the exact same problem.
I have also checked the d0 point (grounded it) and it boots consistently into the bios when i do this...My hunch is that the connection between the chip and the d0 point on the chip is bad...possible?

Finally, is it possible just to have the d0 point soldered constantly to GRND? He doesnt go live or nothing, so it being 'always on' isnt an issue...

Thanks in advance all, ill be waiting...Cheers.

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:43:00 AM »

Fiddling around with the chip has made me curious, im going to rip it out and return to the soldering iron...

In the meantime, please share your thoughts with me!!!!!

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »

no dice.Anyone got suggestions?

How about answering that question regarding hooking up the d0 to a grnd permanently?

Cheers.

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

Please all! I was supposed to have it done by today!, Please tell me what you think of the permanent d0-GRND link.

This post has been edited by adamrobarts: Feb 5 2007, 10:01 PM

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:56:00 AM »

You can hook up LFrame (D0) to ground with a link wire no problems. It will just make the Xbox always boot the chip.
Did you check the BT connection, I didn't see reference to it.
There has been advice in the past that you can leave it off but if  BT is left floating the boot will not be reliable..

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »

Thanks Chancer for the replay. As an update - I am trying today to GRND the D0 again, and im getting christmas lights... If the d0 forces a chip boot, does this point to my chip being crapped?

Also, regarding that BT - i disconnected it, as the wire became annoying when i needed to take the mobo out for some soldering, and i never bothered with it again, since like i said, he wasnt interested in having a switchable boot. But that is interesting about the BT possibly contributing...hm...

Anyhow, Christmas lights when grounded...Chip = faulty IMO, but please give me some advice.
In other news, i last night told my mate that his dux2lite was probably the problem, so he said hed find out if he could get his hands on another...Tell me if i should tell him otherwise, thanks.

Cheers all, and thanks for looking.

BTW - That reflash of the bios i did, could that have possibly caused this problem? it seemed to run ok when i first did it though...

This post has been edited by adamrobarts: Feb 7 2007, 03:26 AM

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »

Well, there has been some developments so far. I find that if i leave the xbox console off (whether plugged in or not) for a while, then boot it, it will boot into the evoX bios. After this however, if i do a cold boot it will just go through the M$ bios again.

The reckon it is actually booting now was because i got it out and did a thourough cleanup, brushed it off for solder flakes and stuff, etc.

ALSO: The games seem to be freezing. Ive tryed 'Black' and 'San Andreas', and both have just completly frozen. i backed up Black to the hdd and have played it for over an hour,  and nothing, ......so, im not sure...

The only reason i dont think its the CD drive, is that it i dont hear the disc trying to respin itself up for a re-read, and no matter how long i leave it, nothing happens, not even a 'dirty disc' error.

Are my problems related? Mate is still planning to get a new chip, advise me, so i can advise him!

Thanks.

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »

8UmpZ0r

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »

All this points to install problems with the LPC and rebuild. the symptoms are classic. Also you really do need to hook the BT back up. Solder it to pin 9 if you want always on.
Try put some pics up of the rebuild and LPC work see if anything can be spotted

adamrobarts

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »

Hm. Well ive removed the cip for now, since i expect a new one wil be coming soon. As for the LPC rebuild, It is using on the the solderon rebuild boards (little pcb board with several solder points with tracks). Assuming i get a new chip for this thing, i will do the lpc rebuild myself. At this point, i am just scared of destroying the LPC holes or anything tongue.gif

Anyway, i might hear from my mate within the next 48 hours, so ill get back by then.

By the way, in the case i do end up 'crisping' the traces abit, should i try and clean it off? or jsut leave it?...or try and just redo the trace altogether?

Anyway, thanks for the replys all, im hoping to get this thing working eventually tongue.gif Having it occupying my workbench is starting to irritate me (as well as the rest of my family - i havent mowed the lawns in weks XD)

Cheers.