xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 1.6 Started Fragging After About A Month Of Use  (Read 89 times)

Allegro1

• Archived User
Xbox 1.6 Started Fragging After About A Month Of Use
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

You might want to reflow the connections.  If you only had one screw in, it may have flexed the board and caused a cold solder joint to lose continuity.  Even "good looking" joints sometimes go bad.

Does the box boot up with the retail BIOS (eject power-on)?

Modify_inc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Allegro1 @ Dec 7 2006, 08:31 PM) View Post

You might want to reflow the connections.  If you only had one screw in, it may have flexed the board and caused a cold solder joint to lose continuity.  Even "good looking" joints sometimes go bad.

Does the box boot up with the retail BIOS (eject power-on)?

I can't use the eject to disable the chip that way, I soldered the BT wire to the PIN 9, which enables the chip to work all the time.  I did desloder the BT and D0, so that should disable the chip, right?  But like I mentioned earlier, it will still not boot, it still FRAGS.

I have resolder most of all the points on the back, and rechecked for contiunity, and everything passes.  I'm thinking because I didn't put all the screws back in, that it wasn't grounded properly, and it might have caused one of the componets or resistors to blow after awhile of use, but I really have no idea.

Mike

Modify_inc

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

So wheres all the electroinc buffs out there?  Would just like to know if not having all the screws mounted to the motherboard could have caused the board to go bad on me after a month of use? Are they mandatory to have?

Mike

Modify_inc

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »

I thought by desoldering D0 and BT, that it would disable the chip like it wasn't even there.  I finally removed the chip from the pin headers, and it boots up fine.  So it's not my motherboard thank goodness, but what could be wrong with the chip to cause it to frag even with the D0 and BT wire disconnected?

Mike

ViSioNz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

Hey there,

I seriously doubt that. I've used only like 6 screws and it works till this day. Does it just frag and then flash colours? What colours does it flash?