xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Fragging  (Read 111 times)

ddzc

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« on: June 21, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

Anyone have any clues or ideas?

This damn xbox keeps on fragging on me, turns on and off 3 times then flashes red/yellow.
The chip led flashes every time it tries to boot..

It's a duox2 on a v 1.0.  I removed all the solder in the LPC holes and installed the pin header.
Slapped everything in and used the alt d0 fro chancers site

user posted image
Hooked up bt to it's original spot.

First time, didn't boot up, fragged.
Tried routing the d0 to it's original spot in the duox2 diagram, same thing, fragged.

I then took the chip out from the top leaving the bottom of the pinheader int he mainboard.
Fragged again.
Tried another chip, same thing (the first two are clones, the 3rd is an original but I was having problems with the original in one system but it worked in another when i tested it again)

I took out the mobo and redid all of the lpc holes on the bottom of the mainboard.
Still the same thing, fragged
Tried another chip, same thing.

Took out all of the solder in the lpc holes, took out the pinheader and refilled all of the holes with solder and performed a wire install to a new chip.

Fragged again

p.s it also frags when pressing eject, not just via power.

Anyone got any ideas out there?

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »

If the Xbox was working fine before you touched it then you did some damage to the LPC or a splash of solder landed somewhere. Only suggestion would be to carefully examine the motherboard for solder splashes or traces around the LPC that may be slightly damaged.

Chancer

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »

It's a duox2 on a v 1.0. I removed all the solder in the LPC holes and installed the pin header.

I think there may be the answer. You have damaged something during removing the solder. You may also have damaged the D0 point if the box Frags with out the chip.

ddzc

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

You guys may be right, I probably damaged something when removing the solder from the lpc, I should have just did a wire installed from the start, damn shit!
I removed evreything and cleaned up the board and it still frags, looks like the mobo is fried.  
I removed the solder a few times from 1.0 xboxes without any problems, guess i'll just stay safe next time and keep them filled.

Also looks as though mobos are quite expensive, guess i'll just be parting out my xbox.

btw I don't see any lift traces or anything on the mobo

thanks for the help guys

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »

I very much doubt you "Fried" the motherboard..Its just a matter of carefully looking around the LPC..Also I think there is a diagram hanging around these forums for a 1.0 xboxes that show alternative points that you can retrace to the LPC or to check for continuity.

Chancer

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

user posted image

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 21 2005, 10:48 PM)
user posted image

ddzc

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »

thanks a lot guys

Going to definitely give that a try

ddzc

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

damn those points are like impossible to solder to, nothing sticks to it, tried using flux and everything.  Those points are like 100X harder than a D0.

Anyone out there have any tips or advice on a job like this, maybe someone who has performed one before?

thx

Chancer

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

Clean each point with a fibreglass pencil. Apply a small amount of solder to the points first and to the wire you are using.
Despite how small these may look to you your soldering iron may not be powerful enough to flow the solder straight on at first hit.
Clean up first (add some flux if you find it helps, I don't but if it works for you then try it) try amking the point into a solder pad by adding the solder as above.

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

Yeah some of those points might have that green laquer coating so you may need to scrap it with something so that the solder "sticks" easily.

appleguru

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »

biggrin.gif Gently scrape each point with the knife until you see bare copper.. then solder smile.gif

ddzc

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 04:37:00 AM »

smile.gif

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Xbox Fragging
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 04:57:00 AM »

Another popular method is to dip a toothpick into liquid flux and then dab it on the tinny point. Now using your clean iron tip tap the point with your iron tip a couple times. Now apply the toothpick again to the same point. You should hear a sshh sound when the iron hits the flux !  Now tin your cleaned iron tip and rub it very slightly up and down on the spot and the solder might take. If not leave it for a few seconds then try again , clean your iron tin it and do the rub thing again. Once you do get a tiny ball of solder on there don't bother trying to get a large ball there becuase it just won't happen. Tin your wire and place it on the tiny tinned spot and then just dab the end of the wire with your iron and then hold it steady and remove the iron and you have done one point !

HackDaBox !