xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Intermittent Error/frag  (Read 70 times)

Usylesses

• Archived User
Intermittent Error/frag
« on: January 31, 2005, 01:14:00 AM »

Intermittent error/FRAG

I have a version 1.6 xbox with xchip installed.  I have checked and rechecked all solder points with an ohmmeter ad infinitum and they are all cherry.  I have flashed the yoshihiro bios and evox 1.3 for v1.6 bios onto my xchip and they loaded fine.  For about 36 hours I could only get FRAG and then for no apparent reason when I turned it on the xbox booted to the green (MS) screen and worked fine.  After I turned it off and on again it went back to FRAGging.  I concluded that my problem was a contact issue and since my solder points were testing well it must be the male/female connection between the pin header and the xchip.  I did a trick recommended by Carlos at easybuy to solder the male tips on the pin header to make them larger (this is extremely difficult and it took me a lot of time to get enough solder off of the pins to get them to fit into the xchip again).  Now my xbox works intermittently when I have to cover on and always when I have the cover off and the xchip propped up on one side (using one of the six long screws from the cover).  I can use the xbox normally, but cannot seem to load any dashboards, or rather I can load the dashboards to the xchip, but my xbox still boots to the original MS green screen. Does an Xchip with a properly flashed bios boot to a green screen? Am I connecting intermittently, sometimes connected all the way (when it is working) and sometimes half way (when it isn’t)? or am I connected intermittently, sometimes half way (when it isn’t working) and sometimes not at all (when the xchip isn’t sending any signals to the computer and it reverts to the factory supplied BIOS).   Either way there is a problem with the female connector on the xchip and I will probably need a new one.  

Usylesses

• Archived User
Intermittent Error/frag
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

feel free to reply to my symptomology above, but more directly is it possible to have a yoshihiro or evox bios flashed to your xchip and still boot to the original green MS screen?  thx in advance for your help.

This post has been edited by Usylesses: Jan 31 2005, 09:19 AM

iceman4208

• Archived User
Intermittent Error/frag
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »

dude this chip is driving me crazy.   same problems as you with the fragging. however i noticed that if i disconnected the 5volt cable from the chip it boots with MS dash, but when i put the 5v on it frags.  So maybe it is  your 5volt cable that is losing connection. just a thought