xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Continuity Testing  (Read 47 times)

Fargelsnot

• Archived User
Continuity Testing
« on: November 29, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »

I used a pin header for an install on a 1.4.  I'm getting a frag.  I've verified its nothing with the chip, as I have no problems with it on another xbox with a pin header install.  After reading through the troubleshooting guide, it says to check all solder connections - use an ohm meter to check for continuity.  My question is what is the best way to check continuity?  It seems rediculous to check from one side of the board to the other, as you know the pin goes all the way through.  This does not verify that the solder connection to the xbox has been made properly.  Anyways, in summary, can someone explain the best way to check continuity?  Is there a remote location away from the LPC port that you can check continutiy against for each pin location, in an effort to verify the solder connection has been made properly?  Thanks

Update:  I used an ohm-meter as suggested by the troubleshooting guide, and as I suspected, they all checked out (why wouldn't they??  lol)  I went ahead and completely resoldered all connections and it did the trick - but if anyone has any advice on pinpointing connection problems with an ohm meter, I'd still be interested in having this info for future installs.  I need to find remote locations for each of the LPC points so that I can put one probe on the pin where the chip installs, and the other probe on this remote location, so that I can see if the continuity checks out.