xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do You Have Your Dip-switch Outside Your Xbox?  (Read 200 times)

Great2bfree

• Archived User
Do You Have Your Dip-switch Outside Your Xbox?
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »

Whats the god dam point in having the dip switch outside? Does it make your xbox cooler? less funky?

Your just risking that someone will play arround with it and break it,  or it break itself at a rnd time. Just leave it inside.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 04:20:00 AM »

Yup.

I soldered the wire header then placed the switch and chip on a small wooden square that I modified specifically for the Xbit.

That is up against the back of the Xbox with the USB port pointing "up".

This permits me to easily flash or change the switches by removing the cover.

However this setup would also permit access to the USB port from either the top or back if modified.

Since I RARELY touch or reflash the mod chip I haven't felt the need to expose it though.

greengiant

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (Great2bfree @ Jun 3 2004, 02:14 AM)
Whats the god dam point in having the dip switch outside? Does it make your xbox cooler? less funky?

Your just risking that someone will play arround with it and break it,  or it break itself at a rnd time. Just leave it inside.

The whole point of having it outside is so you can change the settings. Withought having to OPEN the xbox.
Your telling me, your going to leave the switches inside the xbox, and every time you want to change settings you open up your xbox. Cmon. Give me a break.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

That's what I do!

GIVE ME the break!

Let's see I change my switch settings.... NEVER!

gojira_45

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

Well.. having it outside lets you easily turn it off so you can play XBox Live, should you so decide to do so... besides, I've tried playing with different bios configs, so I need to flip the dips every once in a while...

dsscircuits

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

Why buy a chip with more that 256k if your not going to use the external connecter.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »

I never needed more than 256k.

However I DID want USB connecitivity for updates which has been far more useful and stable than the LPT: interface programmers.

The extra space was just nice icing to the cake.

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (gojira_45 @ Jun 4 2004, 10:46 PM)
Well.. having it outside lets you easily turn it off so you can play XBox Live, should you so decide to do so... besides, I've tried playing with different bios configs, so I need to flip the dips every once in a while...

the power button stealth mode option makes it easier than fiddling with miniscule dip switches,

or as an alternative,

you could just piggyback a tiny slide switch and place in the grille under the front of the xbox (like i have changed to due to the pwr btn mod not agreeing with the XIR)

and eventually you'll find a config that you like and you'll see no point in changing, so there'll be no need to alter settings

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »

Correcto-mundo!

UWARRIOR

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »

If the XBIT was made to be like that, well it should be like that, i have it oustside my boxes, and works great.

:)

TewSmooth18

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

I have mine outside my box also. And I also found it better to put the cables through the holes in the side of the top cover to instead of just through the holes in the metal part of the xbox like they show in the guides. if you put it through the metal and through the cover your not taking the risk of pinching or cutting the wires in half on accident. by putting the wires through the holes in the side of the top cover it doesnt squish or bend the wires at all.. just a heads up to some of you that might not have done that. better safe then sorry

kenmood

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

I have my external piece outside, but here is a trick for those who have their piece placed inside:

Don't need to flash a bios and never touch the dip switches? You can get rid of the external chip and the wires completely.
If you take out the external chip and the wires, X-B.I.T assumes that you have all the dip switches on off position, in other words, bios bank 1 selected and stealth mode off. Therefore, all you need to do is to put your bios on bank 1 and X-B.I.T works nicely without the external piece. Note that the size of bios bank 1 is 2M on format 1, 1M on formats 2-5 and 512k on format 6, so you may need to enlarge your bios image so that it fits into the bank 1. Xecuter2 bios release comes with a simple bat-file which copies the standard bios image to 512k or 1M size, but you can also use XBTool to resize your bios image. To temporarely disable the chip (when playing on Live), you need to add "stealth mode via power button" wire (which can be installed without soldering Xbox btw) or then you have to add a custom switch directly to X-B.I.T (send PM, if you are unsure how to do that).

The trick has been tested with X2 4983.06 bios.

This post has been edited by kenmood: Jul 22 2004, 05:17 PM

darkslider802

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

what does a dip switch look like  sad.gif

Boxgamex80

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

is there an easier switch anyone has made because i will need the dip switch for switching from linux to evox and to maybe play on xbl but thos switches are so tiny.

kenmood

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »

If you like, you can add bigger switches parallel to the dip switches. Solder the wires like this:
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/kenmood/xbit_ext_board_to_own_switch.jpg)

ps. If a switch is on (dip or custom), it will override the other. In other words, both parallel switches must be off for off selection.

This post has been edited by kenmood: Aug 24 2004, 06:10 PM
Pages: [1] 2