xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Burnout  (Read 113 times)

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« on: December 30, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »

you obviously had some sort of short, or the fuse wouldn't have blown the first time, and then immediately the second time.  my xbox was used and refurbished - and it has the xbit.  i've used it for about 3 months, sometimes on for 6 or 8 hours at a time, with no problem.
any time you have a fuse blow like that (car, house, etc.) there's a reason.  i doubt it was the mod chip, but maybe a wire, or maybe the mod chip shifted shorting some stuff it shouldn't have.
maybe something jammed a fan causing excessive voltage...
or maybe you had a power surge one time before, damaging stuff.  still it sound to me like you had a short.

Genz

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

shame there goes the warrenty

some shops offer a take-over of the warranty if your box is not damaged or very dirty by nicotine-abuse wink.gif so have a look around  cool.gif

calummcc

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

Thanks Genz i will do ....didnt know about this thanks man .......

Arakon

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 04:12:00 PM »

you were just unlucky. the chips draw very little current and don't fry anything unless you short something out.

Genz

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 12:17:00 AM »

you didn't say in what way you chipped your box (pogo pins? soldering?) but maybe you had a blank wire lying somewhere so you had a short. or you might even just have had a bad xbox. or the preowner tinkered around with it.

just pay attention about how far you strip a wire when you solder and this kind of stuff. then you should be fine if your box isn't bad by itself.

Regards

Xeero

• Archived User
Xbox Burnout
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

I leave my Xbox on for 8-10 hours at a time quite frequently.  It is on it's 3rd modchip right now, so it's been exposed to its share of soldering.  I just let it sit at the dashboard so if I want to play a game or use an app, I don't have to wait 5 seconds for the thing to boot.  I've been doing that for about 2 years now without any problems.