xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: For Crying Out Fucking Loud  (Read 118 times)

incyte

• Archived User
For Crying Out Fucking Loud
« on: October 30, 2003, 04:37:00 PM »

take a deep breath.........relax..

the led should only come on when it is activate (when the xbox is turned on and the stealth mode is off) or when the usb cable is attached.

also you might not be on the d0 point.. either you missaligned it or the pogo is just not hitting it. I would recommend to getting xbtools and changing the bios .. make the power led to red or something so you know that the xbox is running off the modded bios.

I dont know about the 1 mb bios... i used 256k on config 4 bank 1

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 06:06:00 PM »

Look at the bios file you're trying to use.  What size is the file?  If it's 256k (which 4977 is) then you'll have to make some sort of arrangement that has one or more 256k banks.

Just take your time and read around.  It's a great chip you just have to be patient (like with any modchip install) to get it installed and working properly.

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 05:43:00 AM »

if you're going to use a 256k bios, you should put it in a 256k bank - obvious stuff.
most popular configuration seems to be to format the xbit in mode 6, then slap 4977 and M7 in say, banks 3 and 4, and put whatever you want in the rest.  i left my banks 1 and 2 empty.
The first time i flashed my xbit, while it was yet uninstalled, i didn't even realize there was a green light - it's not that important.  if you are able to cofigure it with the usb cable, fine.  if you use a colored bios and can enable or disable the chip, and see the bioses change, then you don't ever need the green light, though i like seeing it on.

jamal

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 03:14:00 AM »

So let me see if I understad this. If the usb is unhooked and the green LED is on, the mods lined up correctly?

I flashed config 3 which is Bios 1: 1 meg, Bios 2: 512, Bios 3: 512. I only flashed the slot bios 3 was on with a 512k bios, varfied it, and these thing will NOT BOOT.. I get Error 16 every time.

Green LED is coming on on the XBit though.

pieces

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 07:48:00 AM »

I dont see how you are confused with the dip switch selectable banks. You are able to have up to six different bios's which are selectable with the dip switches. I have put 4 256k and 2 512k bios's on and all work perfectly on my v1.0 and I have installed on a v1.1 which was a little harder to line up but works great now. With the pin header install I believe that you need a female pin header soldiered to the lpc but they dont mention anything about it. The led should light up if the xbox is on, the chip is installed correctly and it is not dissabled with dip switch 4. Also some of the newer versions of the xbox may need a little soldiering so what versions are you using. If you have an older version of xbox the pogo install should work fine but gettng it lined up perfectly is sometime hard since it can be just a hair off. Last but not least use xbtool to change the color of the X logo because just because you get the led to light up it means that the chip has power and ground and still may not be line up all the way. The D0 point is important but its easy because you can hear it click in but the other pins may not be right try loosening the screw a little and retighten this will usually shift the chip a little at a time for smaller adjustments.

mcornbill

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

Thanks pieces

Well you'll be pleased to hear that I have got it working.  Now I understand fine that you have 6 banks which you can write bios' to and by changing the dip switches you choose which bank to use - that's fine.

What I don't understand is why are there different combinations of blocks in each bank.  Don't all bios' come as 256k and if so why have all these different size blocks?  If you put say the m7 bios in 1 block and the 4977 in the other how do you then choose which one it will boot (note i'm talking blocks not banks).

Surely all you need is the 6 banks, each with 1 block of 256k! Do you get where I'm coming from?

And finally have tried using XBtool but the 'save as' button is greyed out so am I missing a config file or something for it?

Thanks again
Mark

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

Whew....

Still havent' got the screw for my chip, but seeing the posts with topics that are angry kinda is discouraging. Luckily after about 8 or 9 replies there's always a happy ending so the people at x-s must be very patient and helpful.

Cheers to them! beerchug.gif

mcornbill

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 11:01:00 AM »

Nope still lost.  Let me explain again:

Lets take bank 2 where you can put in 2 x 1mb bioses.

I put 1 1mb m7 bios in slot 1.

I put 1 1mb 4977 bios in slot 2.

They are both held within bank 2 (dip switch 1 flicked to on position).

What determines which of these bioses will load on boot up?

pieces

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »

bios 1 would be off off off off

bios 2 would be on off off off

the programmer will show which is which and also in the lower right hand corner is the dip switch settings so if you have dip 1 on then bios 2 will load. Setting all dip switchs off will enable bios 1.

Spice Guy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »

Right, you are getting confused!

There are six different ways you can format the XBIT, you can have 1 x 2mb block, 2 x 1mb block and so on.  This is just the format to determine what size bios you can flash to the XBIT.

Now the dip switches are for selecting the block that you have your bios in.

If you only use a 2mb bios in bank 1, the dip switches do not need to be changed and the first 3 stay in the OFF / OFF / OFF position as the fourth dip switch is for stealth mode (To Turn The Chip Off)

If you are using bank 2, which i think you are then you have two choices of the way the dip switches can be set, for instance if you want to boot the bios from the 1st block in bank 2, then the dip switches will be in the OFF / OFF / OFF position as they are for the first block of any bank that you have formatted.  If you want to boot from the 2nd block of bank 2 then the dip switches need to be in the ON / OFF / OFF postion. This is the same for every 2nd block of any bank.

The dip switch positions are actually in the bottom right hand corner of the flashing software screen.  But just in case they are the following:-  

Block 1 - OFF / OFF/ OFF
Block 2-   ON / OFF / OFF
Block 3 - OFF / ON / OFF
Block 4 -  ON / ON / OFF
Block 5 - OFF / OFF / ON
Block 6 -  ON / OFF / ON

Bank 1 uses Block 1
Bank 2 uses Block 1 & 2
Bank 3 uses Blocks 1 , 2 & 3
Bank 4 uses Blocks 1, 2, 3, & 4
Bank 5 uses Blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5
Bank 6 uses all of the blocks.

I hope this has clarified the use of the banks and blocks, and how to boot different bios's from different slots.

chelrob

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »

You have the option to format 512k, 1MB and 2mb banks for future releases that are larger than 256k.

Totenkopf

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2003, 12:37:00 AM »

wink.gif

jamal

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »

Well I dont know about you guys but I still think these chips suck ass.

Now wouldnt you think pogo pins would be so easy to do? I mean I can solder a DMS3 v2.0 mod in any version PS2 without a problem and this peice of crap gave me nothing but problems.

Ths problems were due to crappy quality though.

When we were adjusting the mod, trying to line it up 2 of them spring loaded pogo pins shot right out of the chips PCB board never to be found again.

Check out the picture, see the 2 missing pogo pins? One of the d0 point pogo's fell out too.. I was able to find that though and put it back in.

user posted image