xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 93 times)

Ripperfang

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« on: October 08, 2003, 01:43:00 AM »

take a look here. possible problem fix
did u try 2 flash other memory banks?

Skars

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:04:00 AM »

Thanks for your prompt reply, I have tried flashing bios 1 and 2 and switching the dipswitches accordingly.  AFAIK bios 1 and 2 are the only ones that will take it cos it's 1MB, or is it just me being a numpty??? unsure.gif

Ripperfang

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 02:59:00 AM »

well if im not wrong the M7 is 256k bios. try putting it into bank 6 for instants in a 256k slot and give it a try. use the xbtoll for colloring diferently the login of the M$ dashboard and by this way ull know if its working.
also there is a known issue about early dvdrom drives beeing very picky with media.
so try a cdrw burned at 2x or 4x (sony i think its the best, but correct me if im wrong) and c if it works now ^__^x
best of luck there.

Skars

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 03:29:00 AM »

Well the bios I have here on my desktop is 1MB so maybe I don't have the right file, I have spoken with the tech guy where I bought it and he reckon's it could be my bios as well.

I got this off #efnet etc... and it's deffo 1MB are you sure it's supposed to be 256k.

I'm not doubting you I just need to know whether all the F**king around I've been doing is because I got the wrong file sad.gif

Ripperfang

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 04:44:00 AM »

take a look at the private message i sent u.

hope it helps somehow

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (Skars @ Oct 8 2003, 12:29 PM)
Well the bios I have here on my desktop is 1MB so maybe I don't have the right file, I have spoken with the tech guy where I bought it and he reckon's it could be my bios as well.

I got this off #efnet etc... and it's deffo 1MB are you sure it's supposed to be 256k.

I'm not doubting you I just need to know whether all the F**king around I've been doing is because I got the wrong file sad.gif

it's possible you have a 256k bios that has been added to the archive 4 times (to fill the 1 meg of rom) - maybe try the 4977 bios which seems to have been the most stable/popular - at least till you get this sorted out.
don't feel bad - when i install my chip tomorrow, i'm sure i'll be asking YOU for help smile.gif

badboy_12345

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »

hmm why does exactly everyone have the bios wont load problem....  dry.gif

Arakon

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »

any bios I threw at it so far works fine.

moistness

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 12:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (badboy_12345 @ Oct 8 2003, 10:01 PM)
hmm why does exactly everyone have the bios wont load problem....  dry.gif

its not, its a " pogo pins not aligned problem" for 99% of people!!!

one word:-    SOLDER

moistness

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (Skars @ Oct 9 2003, 02:24 PM)

its not, its a " pogo pins not aligned problem" for 99% of people!!!

one word:- SOLDER

Not all of us are confident enough to solder, and the chip manufacturers plus numerous other reviewers have said pogo install's work fine.  I know it's probably me being a dumb n00b but we should all be able to get the pogo to work if it's marketed that way.  I'm sure that I have it in the right place etc...

no i mean that there have been a lot of posts saying things like :-

"ive tryed x y and z bios but none of them work!! which bios should i use?"

and " my bios wont load, shall i try m7"

and almost every time its because the pogopins are not making proper contact sad.gif

i see that this was not the case with your prob, glad youre on the way to sorting it tho smile.gif

pogo's are fine when they are in properly, but they can move and im sure you'll agree that soldering is by far the most secure and reliable method, its just not for everyone!

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 05:40:00 AM »

skars, change your bios on your pc with xbtool to show different colors and/or change the color of the power button led - then you'll know if it worked for sure.

moistness

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »

good suggestion gadget, m7 looks exactly like the microtoss bios! tongue.gif

moistness

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 07:24:00 AM »

wink.gif sounds like your on the right tracks, m7 throws a lot of people off course into thinking that the chip hasnt worked cos everything looks the same as it did before! i think thats why team x-ecutor puts the little logo in theirs!!

what drive has your xbox got and what type of discs are you using?

Skars

• Archived User
Any Ideas?
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

If anyone is experiencing similar problems it could be your media, my drive is a Samsung SDG-605 and it was that that caused my week and a bit of hell and sleepless nights. dry.gif  Although I read that Memorex work in 99% of all Xbox's it didn't in mine so if anyone has this drive then I would recommend trying those maxell DVD-R's you can pick them up for just over £1 (a bargain imo)  cool.gif

I'm now playing backed up games and mpg's etc with no probs at all.

Thanks to all for their help.

Skars
PS. XBTool Rocks my world thnx for that  love.gif