xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Have You Installed Your Mod?  (Read 213 times)

karishbhr

• Archived User
How Have You Installed Your Mod?
« on: May 30, 2003, 10:46:00 PM »

Basically I wanna see how you've installed your mod and your experiances, feel free to comment however youd like!

karishbhr

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »

Im personally debating in all three, thats why I started this... headers seem hard, wires seem risky, and peeps say pogos are unreliable!

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 02:57:00 AM »

Header pin is the only real way to install a mod chip, heh and so what if you got filled LPC holes, use some desolder braid and in less than 3 mins theyre all empty and looking clean as if they were never filled.

Ubergeek

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 03:01:00 AM »

header pin all the way

staticFLINT

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 03:06:00 AM »

why do you keep making threads.... can't you decide witch chip to get yet?

karishbhr

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »

bump, this isnt just for me... I think its a good idea for a poll

psibob84

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

wires just because i was too lazy to take the solder out of the holes otherwise i WOULD HAVE gone with the header pin

StOnD

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »

Initially I had a wire install, but then I saw some of these new chips coming out and thougt I might upgrade sometime down the road. So one day when I had some free time I decided to switch it to header pin install.

So I went out and bought a de-soldering pump for about 10 bucks at radio shack, I came home and had the wires removed in a matter of a few minutes. Then I had a little trouble getting the holes cleared. The pump was a little too big to get a suction on the solder, so I turned the mobo face down, heated the points and then blew the solder down through. It worked like a charm! Everything was a piece of cake after that, and I can easily upgrade my chip in the future if I ever decide to.

karishbhr

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »

wow! I had no idea that header pins were so popular... maybe thats the way Ill go!

nautiazn85

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 08:53:00 PM »

If you have a header pin, without a doubt you should use them. They're simple to install and much easier to upgrade.

Obviously some mod chips don't come with header pins, so sometimes you have to settle for something less.

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 06:41:00 AM »

I agree.  In fact, after removing the solder from 1.0 boards, I think that the BEST solution to a 1.0 is to solder wires ONTO the header pin, and simply insert them into the filled LPC's.  THen, you need to mount the (well insulated) header pin into a safe place.  

I suggest just taping it down with electrical tape.

Echo713

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 06:51:00 AM »

pogo pins

Ill187

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 02:46:00 PM »

header pins usually go smooth but this last install has me using wires.

mazir

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 03:29:00 PM »

Wire install is best and simple if you spend a little time reading and around $15 on the right equipment.
I just chipped two xboxes with X2 Lites.  It was my first time soldering, and I got them both on the first try.  I don't even have very steady hands, I just did everything people reccomend.
Don't forget the flux, it makes everything flow smoothly.
Good luck.

My thanks to this site and everyone here.

Cheers.

WiLD

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 04:38:00 PM »

IMHO, I'd say header pins are the way to go.  I installed mine on a 1.0 board with very little soldering experience.  Just be patient, go slow, and remember you don't need HUGE globs of solder.  Also, for D0 - install a lead with a connector at the end.  Don't have to worry about re-soldering if you buy a new chip.

Just did my second install with a chameleon...  Header pin, connector for D0, Power and Eject, and a connector to a switch for A15.  In all the install took me no more than an hour from start to finish.

If you have filled LPC points, just grab some desoldering braid - about 2 minutes of work clears them right out.  

Martha Stewart Says:  Make sure you have a decent soldering iron with a small tapered tip installed.  Could get a solder sucker, but personally I think braid is just as simple and works better on these small points.  It's a good thing.

WiLD
Pages: [1] 2