xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1 Psu Dual Motherboard?  (Read 124 times)

ephesith

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

I want to make a "lan box" that would basically consist of two xboxs in one box (not ms box) minus the dvd roms.  I want to be able to use 1 psu to power both mother boards.  It is as simple as taking two of those cpu to psu coverter chips and soldering both chips to the cpu psu in parallel?  Does this make sense? I would also like to have an external CPU PSU switch on the back of the box that would turn on the PSU and then also have power buttons to turn on each motherboard.  Any of you electrician//schematic people out there know how to do this

DarkMatter

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

You would need two PSU's to power both motherboards, one PSU would never be able to handle two, even without the ROM drives.

It is as simple as taking two of those cpu to psu coverter chips and soldering both chips to the cpu psu in parallel?

Unsure what you mean here???
What's a "CPU to PSU converter chip"???
Regards,
DarkMatter

only2braincellz

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

Exactlly  as above..

I have put my xbox into a pc case recently, and then I added my Live xbox to it yesterday, I tried just one, but 1 psu only powers the one motherboard and I gothe fan on the second to go on but nothing else.

You will need 2 psus, but you can wire them to one button like I did so they both switch on at the same time

ephesith

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

Well I was thinking like a 300-500 watt ATX computer power supply.  Since the xbox psu is only 80 watts or so I know this computer PSU would have more than enough  wattage to power both motherboards.  THere is a converter board/chip  thing that tribemods used to have that would let you use a computer PSU to power your xbox MB, so I just figured two of them (1 to each psu) would "convert" the power needed for each MB.  I know little about circuits, but I figgured it might be possible.

only2braincellz

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(ephesith @ Mar 24 2006, 08:43 PM) *

Well I was thinking like a 300-500 watt ATX computer power supply.  Since the xbox psu is only 80 watts or so I know this computer PSU would have more than enough  wattage to power both motherboards.  THere is a converter board/chip  thing that tribemods used to have that would let you use a computer PSU to power your xbox MB, so I just figured two of them (1 to each psu) would "convert" the power needed for each MB.  I know little about circuits, but I figgured it might be possible.

Ok well, easily serching with google you will find that tribe mods is no longer around... mening that you would have to make your own..

Also, adding a ATX PSu to an xbox is not an easy job.  its not like something you can just hook up and work without frying your xbox.

Also... Duh... Why in the world would you need 2 300 Watt PSu's to power to xboxes that only run on 80 Watts each???
All your talking about doing here is frying out 2 xboxes.

Think about your sentence here
"Well I was thinking like a 300-500 watt ATX computer power supply"......"Since the xbox psu is only 80 watts or so"......   "so I just figured two of them (1 to each psu)"

All your talking here is over powering the 2 and possibly casuing a fire. Would end up being an interesting lan party thought.

I am in no way thread crapping here, I am mearly trying to show you that you may want to think this out and get some help from some closer to yuo that knows what to do. Instead of going about what your saying and wasting 2 working xboxes.

ephesith

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

hold on a second here shorty....  I am not stupid.  My original question was is it POSSIBLE to run two MB's off of one power supply.  I know that its not just "plug and play."  I know about the converstion chip/board that people have used here many times to make there computer PSU's power their xboxes.  The purpose of the chip  is to change the correct wattage/signal to the xbox mother board so that it doesn't fry.  I am not about to fry two mother boards just by connecting the same colored wire.  I know voltage/resistance/etc.. all needs to be taken into account HENSE MY QUESTION of can a large power supply have the capacity to power two mother boards.  I dont want two power supplies, I want one.  If I wanted two power supplies why the hell would I even use a computer power supply in the first place, I would just stick with the stock xbox PSU.  

and your google statement is incorrect.  Tribe mods is around....

http://www.tribemods.com/

its probably just under construction....

so next time before you come after me like some flailing lunatic who thinks I'm a noob you can just pass on the response and let an educated individual answer my question.  Okay maybe I was a little mean in this reply.

ndsbass

• Archived User
1 Psu Dual Motherboard?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »

and your google statement is incorrect. Tribe mods is around....

http://www.tribemods.com/

its probably just under construction....

sorry dude but they did indeed go out of buisness

hold on a second here shorty.... I am not stupid. My original question was is it POSSIBLE to run two MB's off of one power supply. I know that its not just "plug and play." I know about the converstion chip/board that people have used here many times to make there computer PSU's power their xboxes. The purpose of the chip is to change the correct wattage/signal to the xbox mother board so that it doesn't fry.

personally i dont see why not but there are a few things you will have to take into account.
1. both xbox's would have to power on at the same time, so one button connects to two xboxes
2. pwrok signal
3. start signal
edit: 4. if you have a v1.6 your basically screwed since your gonna have to do everything from scratch. ms decided to be gay and changed everything around.

check out this thread for more info: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t468564.html

This post has been edited by ndsbass: Mar 25 2006, 07:02 AM