xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Trying To Back Up Midnight Club 3 Remix To Dvd 5  (Read 298 times)

raardvark

• Archived User
Trying To Back Up Midnight Club 3 Remix To Dvd 5
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 10:10:00 PM »

It happens in every tournament. I kept playing until I unlocked Atlanta and it resets when I try to enter a tournament there too. Very irritating  mad.gif

mwg40

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(raardvark @ Apr 28 2006, 11:10 PM) View Post

It happens in every tournament. I kept playing until I unlocked Atlanta and it resets when I try to enter a tournament there too. Very irritating  mad.gif

i tried playing it from the HD, so it would get the filenames intentionally cut off, started a club race and it crashed back to the dashboard, however i made a backup using xdvdfs tools with a custom layout and crosslinking (basically it's the same as deleting the xblive files and crosslinking with qwix) but checking i had the correct file names this time (IE long filenames not truncated), with the resulting disc i started a new game, beat Carlos, started and beat the first tournament with no problems...
i could almost swear the problem is with the long filenames being cut off, check your filenames against the original or a layout file, i already posted some example filenames you could check in my previous post

raardvark

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

I can see that some of the filenames are cut off because the file system on the hard drive only allows 42 characters. So I can't rename the files to their original names. How do I get around that?

(Sorry if it's a noob question, haven't been doing this long)

raardvark

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 12:25:00 AM »

Sorry to double post, but I thought that I'd point out that I don't have a DVD burner, so I can't make copies of the disc, only copying to the hard drive.

I tried relinking the files with a hex editor, but it seems as though the default.xbe file uses a string variable when looking for the loadscreens, so can't hard wire it to look for certain files.

Anyone got any more ideas?

mwg40

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(raardvark @ Apr 29 2006, 01:25 AM) View Post

Sorry to double post, but I thought that I'd point out that I don't have a DVD burner, so I can't make copies of the disc, only copying to the hard drive.

I tried relinking the files with a hex editor, but it seems as though the default.xbe file uses a string variable when looking for the loadscreens, so can't hard wire it to look for certain files.

Anyone got any more ideas?

i think those filenames may be stored in another file, not necessarily in the XBE, i'll see what i can find.... something you could try is the newer dvd2xbox, it will dump an ISO of the disc with file names intact and will let you "mount" the ISO as if it was a virtual dvd, however i think it only works on softmodded boxes.... see other threads about this, the toca 3 thread for example

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 05:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 28 2006, 06:11 PM) View Post

I found out this game has a few files with filename bigger than 42 chars, so i dont think it works flawlessly on HD. Maybe you guys can check those files to see if they have the right name before building the ISO...
\flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeClub.xbck (45 chars)
\flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOne.xbck (43 chars)
and so on...

I haven't tried it myself, I'm playing from a savegame from the older mc3, does it crash on any tournament or just the ones at the start of the game?

Whoa! Are you guys saying that my game crashing at the 2nd and 3rd tournament (allways...) may be because my WS_FTP client ahs chopped off some of the filenames while transferring the files to my xbox?
How can I avoid this from happening, if it's the case?
Please help; I'm going nuts about this otherwise excellent game...!
Thanks! :-)

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »

I just checked the long file name thingy mentioned above and you're absolutely correct...
The system on the xbox doesn't seem to support filenames/paths exceeding 42 characters.
From the example above I found the following one my hd:
\flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeC.xbck (on my hd)
\flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOn.xbck (on my hd)

Bummer!! Thought I was going to try the trick mentioned above, using the DVD2xbox tool to try to open the iso file as a virtual DVD on the xbox and see if this helps and let's the box understand longer filenames than 42 chr...

MajinFro

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

quite a few 42+ character filenames just surrounding those files like ATLDUBTWO loadscreen etc.

sono123

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(mwg40 @ Apr 28 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

I found out this game has a few files with filename bigger than 42 chars, so i dont think it works flawlessly on HD. Maybe you guys can check those files to see if they have the right name before building the ISO...
and so on...

I haven't tried it myself, I'm playing from a savegame from the older mc3, does it crash on any tournament or just the ones at the start of the game?

I just checked my iso and found out that these five files need to be renamed:
flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeC.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOn.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubTw.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_DetMuscl.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_SDCompou.xbck

to these:
flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeClub.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOne.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubTwo.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_DetMuscle.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_SDCompound.xbck

After renaming these files and rebuilding the iso with qwix, then I burned them to DVD. Now it is working perfectly.  Thanks mwg40 smile.gif  smile.gif

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(sono123 @ May 1 2006, 10:35 PM) View Post

I just checked my iso and found out that these five files need to be renamed:
flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeC.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOn.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubTw.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_DetMuscl.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_SDCompou.xbck

to these:
flash\loadscreen_career_tokyo_TKSportsBikeClub.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubOne.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_AtlDubTwo.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_DetMuscle.xbck
flash\loadscreen_career_tournament_SDCompound.xbck

After renaming these files and rebuilding the iso with qwix, then I burned them to DVD. Now it is working perfectly.  Thanks mwg40 smile.gif  smile.gif

So, you just renamed the files and rebuildt the iso with "qwix" (where do i find this qwix and are there any pointers or tips to using it?) and it worked without having to remap any files etc?
Can i use the QWIX if i have evox on my xbox?
Looks like it was made for avalaunch...

Would greatly appreciate your help...  :-)

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »

OK, so I figured out what qwix was and I downloaded v 1,01.
Renamed the files, used qwix to create an iso, and tried burning it to a DVD using Xiso Extractor and Nero7.
Both errored saying that the media (a Sony 4.7GB dvd) was to small, or in other words ths image was to large...
Do I have to set the "automatically cross-link identical files..." option also?
Was kinda hoping not to have to do that, cause it somehow seems to me that the more intact the game is the less errors one get. I may be wrong though...  :-)

Any advice, guys?

This post has been edited by carlh: May 2 2006, 04:52 PM

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

Sorry about the number of posts here guys, but I'm not allowed to edit for some reason...
Anyhows; also tried to select the "remap identical files" hoping that the image would become smaller than the dvd limit of 4,7GBs and in fact it did become some smaller but not enough... Aaagh!! Going slightly mad...

Any hints on how to do this? Tried nero7 and Xiso Extractor, since I didn't find any burning options in qwix anywhere.
Any burning app let me overburn this much? ISO size is "originally" 4 840 554 496 bytes, and after I remapped the identical files it became 4 762 107 904 bytes, but still too large I'm told...

sono123

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

First, delete dashupdate.xbe, downloader.xbe, and update.xbe.
Then build the iso using qwix with Automatically cross-link identical files checked.
Resulting iso file size should be 4.37 GB (4,700,176,384 bytes), it will still be 176kb oversize,
but if you use ImgBurn instead of Nero, it will burn fine.

jha'dhur

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(sono123 @ May 2 2006, 12:36 PM) View Post

Then build the iso using qwix with Automatically cross-link identical files checked.
Resulting iso file size should be 4.37 GB (4,700,176,384 bytes), it will still be 176kb oversize,

Did the above and also used auto crosslinking. I am burning (NERO), and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

carlh

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(sono123 @ May 2 2006, 06:36 PM) View Post

I tried the above now and the image burnt just fine now (however, I don't quite understand what the xbe's are doing there in the first place if it's ok to delete them though... Only for use when running from hd?).
However, the game did not work as the xbox didn't seem to recognize the dvd.
Tried "Play from dvd" (evox) and nothing happened...
Any ideas?

btw: the iso i used is for the NTSC version of the game and my xbox is european (PAL).
Could it be that the dvd drive is set to only run PAL games? (I kinda recon, but just thought I'd check...)

Thanks, guys!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6