xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Dual Layer and Double Layer!  (Read 731 times)

jk_baller23

• Archived User
Dual Layer and Double Layer!
« on: June 01, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

cool, i saw it in the store a while back

pointdablame

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »

You can get an NEC-2500a and flash the firmware and get a dual layer burner for around 80 bux

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »

How much is GOOD media?  The Sony Style site showed media, but didn't have a price for it.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »

consider the cost and scarcity of dual layer media, i think ill just stick with my single layer burner

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Jun 2 2004, 12:15 AM)
How much is GOOD media?  The Sony Style site showed media, but didn't have a price for it.

Well, I've been searching around and it seems that rumors are pricing the dual layer media at over $12 per disc right now.  Since dual layer will mainly benefit pirates of DVDs, I think I can wait 'til discs will be $2 each.

thehittmann

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »

Yayyyyyyyyyyy!

You can get an NEC-2500a and flash the firmware and get a dual layer burner for around 80 bux

I had a 2500a with updated firmware that allows it to burn dvd-rom book type but not DL firmware. I looked in the usual places and I found the new DL firmware. Upgraded my burner and works a treat. I now have me a DL burner.

Cheers for pointing that out for me pointdablame

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »

Yeah, now go find media...oh, and remember the XBOX is more picky than most computers about media, so uh, don't count on it working.

Not one single success story with the XBOX and dual layer recording media has been reported as far as I'm aware of.  sad.gif

thehittmann

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »

Probably because normal DL burners dont report the booktype as being DVD-ROM.
I am a bit warey though as I have a Samsung drive that doesnt normally read DVD+Rs...... I havent tried burning one with a DVD-ROM booktype yet though so I am not sure if DL could even be read. But at least when DL media becomes more available I can use them for other purposes without having to purchase a new dvd burner.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 10:22:00 PM »

It's not just XBOXs that have trouble with D/L media, some DVD-ROM drives and DVD Players have issues with them to.  From what I have heard on price estimates this format is gonna have to drop prices damn quick if it wants to survive.  I heard the cheap ones will start out at over $5 a disc (and we all know what a joy cheap media is for quality and compatibility rolleyes.gif ) and quality brands like Verbatim will start producing media in July at $14 a disc.   blink.gif    Hmm. . . .let's see now.  There are only 4-5 games that are D/L for the XBOX at this point and about the same for PS2 so I think I will just stick to my single layer Ritek DVD-Rs which run 70-80 cents a disc and are easy to find. wink.gif  There are a number of other things to consider here.  1. It never fails that new technology always has firmware media issues to get sorted out  2. Those who wait  will get better and faster drives and media for less.  3. 2.4x D/L means you are gonna have to wait 45-50 minutes to do a full burn.  It just doesn't add up.  It doesn't make sense to rush out and buy a dual-layered burner or even the media at this point.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Jun 2 2004, 12:33 AM)
Well, I've been searching around and it seems that rumors are pricing the dual layer media at over $12 per disc right now.  Since dual layer will mainly benefit pirates of DVDs, I think I can wait 'til discs will be $2 each.

Get off your high horse for christ sakes

PolarBearWY

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 04:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Jun 2 2004, 08:10 AM)

Huh?  Got your panties in a bunch?

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (PolarBearWY @ Jun 2 2004, 01:15 PM)
Huh?  Got your panties in a bunch?

Yes I did, thanks for telling me smile.gif

oxjeremy334

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 04:45:00 AM »

So, is there firmware to make a sony a dual layer like the nec's or do I need a whole new drive?...The multigame disc can be monsters on the dual layer discs...I just want to see the compatibility on my regular sammy against my sd616t.

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

Yeah, doesn't make sense to buy a dual layer drive before the media is out.  Plus, personally, I'm waiting for a Pionneer -R dual layer before I get one.  I've never been a huge fan of the +R format.   rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Jun 2 2004, 12:10 AM)

What the hell was that? blink.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Jun 2 2004, 03:26 PM)
What the hell was that? blink.gif

Since dual layer will mainly benefit pirates of DVDs

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16