xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Msdash Wont Load  (Read 127 times)

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« on: November 04, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

im not sure if this is the right forum but maybe someone can help me out. i run evox off of a disc so that i can go on xbox live. recently, i loaded up evox and transfered it onto the xbox hd so that i can back up a game. when i put the original xbox dash back on, (which ive done many times before) it wouldnt load. i keep getting an error message that says i have to get me xbox fixed. i dont think i deleted anything off the hardrive other then the evox info which i always delet after im done using it. can someone please help me!!!.  

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 09:49:00 PM »

also** can someone tell me the contents of there C folder on there xbox hd. i dont need to no whats in the other folders in the C folder, just the files that are there (xboxdash.xbe, etc.), just so i can double check. thanks

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »

is there not a single person that can help me!?

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 05:38:00 AM »

Just going off memory here so might not be that accurate. You should have xboxdash.xbe, Audio.folder, fonts.folder, xboxdashdata.folder, and xodash.folder. If you've screwed something up try getting the slayers installer it has everything you should need to fix your C:\ drive.

Also this should possibly go in the newbie help section where you will get more people looking at it that want to help people. Good Luck

LESTAT

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 05:40:00 AM »

uhm  let me try ,

ok you run evox off disk,, cool ,, but you decided to transfer it to your C drive and not use the CD  ok..
but now your msdash wont load.. ok got it.

ok ,, open your evox ini and where it says msdash =  you need to make it say whatever your msdash name is
example --

ok i use the fonts exploit so i have renamed my xbox.xft and xboxbook.xft to XTF. sorry if thats backwards but you get the idea.
ok then i made a copy of the xboxdash.xbe and hex edited it for references to those files, and changed the file extension in the hex editor so that it matches what i changed.

i named the altered msdash to newdash.xbe and put in the root of C.
now in evox when i hit MS Dash. it loads the msdash.

if you dont alter your evox.ini to reflect WHAT your msdash is then it will either bomb out or simply go back to evox.

This post has been edited by LESTAT: Nov 5 2003, 01:41 PM

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (LESTAT @ Nov 5 2003, 03:33 PM)
uhm  let me try ,

ok you run evox off disk,, cool ,, but you decided to transfer it to your C drive and not use the CD  ok..
but now your msdash wont load.. ok got it.

ok ,, open your evox ini and where it says msdash =  you need to make it say whatever your msdash name is
example --

ok i use the fonts exploit so i have renamed my xbox.xft and xboxbook.xft to XTF. sorry if thats backwards but you get the idea.
ok then i made a copy of the xboxdash.xbe and hex edited it for references to those files, and changed the file extension in the hex editor so that it matches what i changed.

i named the altered msdash to newdash.xbe and put in the root of C.
now in evox when i hit MS Dash. it loads the msdash.

if you dont alter your evox.ini to reflect WHAT your msdash is then it will either bomb out or simply go back to evox.

Actually I think he's getting an error message and not booting back to evox. Error message probably due to dashboard error. I assume the HD is locked because he was using MS fine until he copied stuff over to C:\. Editing your evox.ini file won't help if you have a dashboard error.

LESTAT

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 05:55:00 AM »

well he did say when he tries to load msdash,, so i ASSUME,, that evox is cool which means he will have to edit the ini to reflect the correct location and name of msdash

also what mod are you using dude. if your using font then you HAVE to alter the msdash file to reflect the names of the old xbox fonts.

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

what happened is that i didnt have evox on my drive at all. at this point the msdash was loading fine. then i transfered evox to the xbox drive so that i could transfer a game. then i took evox off of my drive and put the msdash board back. now all i get is error 21 and red an green flashing lights. the xbox will load a game still but it wont go back to the dashboard (if an admin sees this, can he move it to whatever section is appropriate so that more people will see it)

This post has been edited by zeiro: Nov 5 2003, 01:59 PM

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

error 21 is a tough one

This post has been edited by PuddWakkr: Nov 5 2003, 01:59 PM

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 06:01:00 AM »

SOunds like you've corrupted something on your C:\ drive. Try putting your backup of C:\ back on or get the salyers disc and use the C:\ drive from that.

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »

alright, well that brings me to another question then. i do have a back up of my c drive....BUT....its only of the drive before i installed xbox live. if i upload that, will it still work and will i be able to keep my xbox live account (i dont have a memory card to save it on)

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 07:08:00 AM »

also, just incase i cant use my backup to fix my xbox. ill ask this question now to save time, i got the slayer disc but how do i use it to just fix my c drive and not install evox on my xbox??

LESTAT

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 07:13:00 AM »

about the live - hhmm not sure how that would work it may simply just redownload and update your dash.

as for slayers,, burn it  boot to it,, and it has the option to restore your C drive.
but that in itself may be an older dash causing you to update thru live.

zeiro

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »

alright, thanks to u guys, the first problem was solved. i used the slayer disc and got my msdash back (thank god!!:)). now a new problem. i knew that the slayer disc was goin to fomat the hd so ofcourse i backed it up on my computer just incase anything went wrong. now, i want to know which folder contains all the saved games so i can put that back on my xbox (that is possible right)

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Msdash Wont Load
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »

The E:\ Drive contains all your saved games. You might want to think about downloading xbox saves manager. It makes transfering your saves really easy. Links right up to your xbox and makes sense out of all those TDATA and UDATA folders.