xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Increase In-game Brightness  (Read 215 times)

AZImmortal

• Archived User
Increase In-game Brightness
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »

As far as I know, the Xbox doesn't have any settings for brightness/contrast on a system level.

dyingdemon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »

well that sucks >.< you think you could alter the brightness with a post rendering filter, or something like that since you can alter the led, fan speeds, and so on of the xbox using unleashx (and yes these settings seem to transfer over even when playing a game)

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »

I don't use UnleashX, but it seems unlikely that those settings would carry over from one app to another (I could be wrong though).  Also, very few video output devices provide this type of video configuration because you usually handle it on the display level.

dyingdemon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Feb 23 2012, 01:58 AM) View Post

I don't use UnleashX, but it seems unlikely that those settings would carry over from one app to another (I could be wrong though).  Also, very few video output devices provide this type of video configuration because you usually handle it on the display level.

just tested to make sure i wasnt giving you wrong info. I switched the led color for when im playing a game to flashing red green, and it still did that while playing the game, switched fan from auto to 5.0x and it stayed on that, and even the ftp server was still running, WHILE halo2 was running. this could be a glitch with my dash and this isnt supposed to happen, but it does on mine @_@

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

It doesn't relate to the OPs original enquiry but the Xbox can be a bit picky with its settings. I found fixing an UnleashX skin could be problematic on one particular older version (v.543) I used. Sometimes the save wouldn't write to the Config.xml no matter what you did. In the end I'd sometimes manual edit the thing as it was a more reliable method.

With UnleashX if you set the fan speed to higher from the default it will automatically apply that increase when you save and then leave the Settings page. But if you go back and try to reset it back to the default it won't work. You have to make the change, save then reboot/restart the Xbox.

The LED colour options don't behave like this and I can't think of anything else that  does either.

I would have thought the OPs TV brightness controls problem would be far better tackled by pursuing a hardware solution. There must be a cheap specific or closely related TV model remote replacement he could find online that does support the TV's functions more fully. I'd e-mail Philips customer services and see if they could help.

Failing that a risky foray into the TV's service/engineers menus could solve the problem but you'd have to find out how to do that elsewhere. You can bick the TV if you don't know what you're doing.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(dyingdemon @ Feb 23 2012, 07:54 AM) View Post

just tested to make sure i wasnt giving you wrong info. I switched the led color for when im playing a game to flashing red green, and it still did that while playing the game, switched fan from auto to 5.0x and it stayed on that, and even the ftp server was still running, WHILE halo2 was running. this could be a glitch with my dash and this isnt supposed to happen, but it does on mine @_@

Not that I'm trying to call you a liar, but this can't possibly be true (at the very least the part about the FTP server still running while Halo 2 is running; I'm not sure if the LED and fan settings are somehow changed in the EEPROM).  The Xbox is only capable of running one process at a time (think of it as only being able to run one .xbe at a time).  When you launch Halo 2 from UnleashX, then Halo 2 replaces UnleashX as the running process, so there's no way that the UnleashX FTP server can still be active while Halo 2 is running.

From http://openxdk.maturion.de/xbox.html
The XBOX kernel is only capable of running one process (or application - they are the same thing to the kernel) at a time. Note that processes can, however, spawn multiple threads. Your dashboard is really just a sophisticated application that has the ability to launch other applications (technically, when you launch an application from your dashboard, it actually replaces your dashboard as the currently executing process).