xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Vga Cable No Modchip  (Read 261 times)

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Xbox Vga Cable No Modchip
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

I used to play my xbox via a usb video ripper.
it was designed to take video input from vhs/dvd/excetera and you could connect it to your pc like a camera.
there should be plenty of things to convert composit to vga google would probably help..
like this.. (composit)
http://www.google.co...c...few&cad=rja

or i guess

RGB to DVI if you have a rgb cable for higer def (component)
http://www.tvcables....eo-adapter.html

all i did was use google.. (maybe you would want to better research the items 1st)

p.s
you would need atleast a soft mod to achive higer definitions, so if your 100% unmoded you probably want composit.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »

If your Xbox isn't modded then you have to use an external converter. If your Xbox is PAL then you have to use a composite to VGA external converter, and that is an active device - you can't build one by soldering cables together. I'd also add that they generally aren't very good.

If your Xbox is NTSC then you could instead use a component output cable from the Xbox, and use an adapter like either of the ones shambles1980 linked you to - but ONLY if your monitor supports genuine component (YPbPr) signals on the VGA input or on the DVI input - and not all monitors do that. If your monitor doesn't then you'd need to use a component cable from the Xbox plus an external YPbPr to VGA converter - again, an active device that you can't simply make by soldering cables together.

If you mod your Xbox AND the Xbox ISN'T a 1.6 then you can enable VGA output directly from the Xbox. You'll need to build an Xbox to VGA cable (which is a matter of soldering) and install the appropriate softmod / BIOS on the Xbox.

Marcheslav

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »

You will only need a bios mod if you xbox is not a 1.6 and if you choose to make an xbox to vga cable

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

No - but you might want to re-read my post again, especially the second paragraph.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »

Again, more slowly.

Option 1. Any version of unmodded Xbox, buy a composite to VGA active converter, and it will work but the quality will be variable.
Option 2. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA or DVI adapter (like the ones shambles1980 linked to), and if your monitor supports YPbPr over the VGA/DVI ports then it will work.
Option 3. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA active converter, and it will work.
Option 4. If your Xbox is 1.0-1.5, mod it (softmod or chip/TSOP flash), enable VGA output, buy/make an Xbox VGA cable (soldering required), and it will work. If your monitor DOESN'T support sync-on-green then you will need to put a sync separator in the cable. See this post for cable details.

So, if your Xbox is a 1.6 then you can use any of Options 1-3

sloganvirst

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 16 2011, 08:18 PM)  

Again, more slowly.

Option 1. Any version of unmodded Xbox, buy a composite to VGA active converter, and it will work but the quality will be variable.
Option 2. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA or DVI adapter (like the ones shambles1980 linked to), and if your monitor supports YPbPr over the VGA/DVI ports then it will work.
Option 3. Any version of unmodded NTSC Xbox, buy an Xbox component cable and a component to VGA active converter, and it will work.
Option 4. If your Xbox is 1.0-1.5, mod it (softmod or chip/TSOP flash), enable VGA output, buy/make an Xbox VGA cable (soldering required), and it will work. If your monitor DOESN'T support sync-on-green then you will need to put a sync separator in the cable. See this post for cable details.

So, if your Xbox is a 1.6 then you can use any of Options 1-3

Ah, ok, thank you for clarifying...

One of the first 3 will be easiest...

Probably option 3.

Thank you for your time (and patience!)