xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 100hz Television  (Read 69 times)

Arius

• Archived User
100hz Television
« on: July 26, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

Some light guns have a problem with 100hz sets.

I have one, and other than that I have never (in 4 years +) had a problem with it

Chancer

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

If you can get a 50HZ get a 50HZ. I repair these things for a living and let me say 100hz scan is pants. If you get fast moving action like a football match you will see a visible trail in 100hz mode from any fast moving object against a static background. the picture also looks artificailly plastic on close ups. the repairs are more expensive if it goes wrong(2 Line output transistors etc etc)
The man at Comet or the shop will tell you they are great and sure some people will watch and not know the diffrence but if you pick up on some of the design weaknesses it will bug you. Also the flicker is more visible than on a 50HZ scan tv which was the one thing it was supposed to cure.
Get a good 50hz Panasonic or something similar, stay clear of Goodmans, Alba, Bush, Daewoo, LG, Matsui etc as these are the sets that keep me in business.
The Panasonic will play 60hz NTSC as well no problem.

Scaramanga

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

What are you talking about?
More flicker in a 100hz? bullshit.
Set your computer monitor to 100hz and then to 50hz and notice the diffrence.
It is exactly the same with TV monitors.
The diffrence between 50hz and 100hz tvs is very noticeable.
Myself, I got a 100hz toshiba. No problems and much easier for the eyes.

No_Name

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »

I have a 50Hz convex ,
My house mate has a 100Hz Pure flat

There is less flicker on his TV than mine, I would have gone down the pure flat road but I could not afford the extras cost for the 100Hz models and I found the 50Hz flickered way too much (was wathing the same picture in the store)

All in all if you are getting a new TV you might as well get a 100Hz model and set your Xbox to 50Hz

Chancer

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

What are you talking about?
More flicker in a 100hz? bullshit.
Set your computer monitor to 100hz and then to 50hz and notice the diffrence.
It is exactly the same with TV monitors.
The diffrence between 50hz and 100hz tvs is very noticeable.
Myself, I got a 100hz toshiba. No problems and much easier for the eyes.

I would disagree with you YOU are talking bullshit. I am a fully qualified TV and Video Engineer 26 years in the same trade, I see this stuff 10 times a day everyday and my opinion is based on technical knowledge and observations, lots of them.
As for your statement about computers your talking shit there as well for kick offs you have not got a computer monitor that you can set at 100hz. Set a TFT monitor say 15 inch at 75HZ and examine the picture closely then set the refresh rate to 60 hz which its optimised to run at and see the difference. You obviously have low standards or have never seen a decent TV set if you cannot see the ghost trail effect created by 100hz scanning, its a known phenomena in the industry and Philips actually recalled there first 100hz sets after masses of complaints, in order to try and correct the problem which they could not.
Speak up then where are your facts coming from your arse I reckon

No_Name

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »

Some 100Hz TV do have a worse flicker than the 50HZ version... But this comes down to the "You get what you pay for" line of thought.

If you want a good 100Hz Tv you have to pay for it

Personally I am happy with my Panasonic 28" wide screen 50Hz TV as it will also do 60HZ and NTSC, and this is my personal bedroom TV smile.gif

Scaramanga

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (Chancer @ Jul 26 2004, 11:57 PM)
I would disagree with you YOU are talking bullshit. I am a fully qualified TV and Video Engineer 26 years in the same trade, I see this stuff 10 times a day everyday and my opinion is based on technical knowledge and observations, lots of them.
As for your statement about computers your talking shit there as well for kick offs you have not got a computer monitor that you can set at 100hz. Set a TFT monitor say 15 inch at 75HZ and examine the picture closely then set the refresh rate to 60 hz which its optimised to run at and see the difference. You obviously have low standards or have never seen a decent TV set if you cannot see the ghost trail effect created by 100hz scanning, its a known phenomena in the industry and Philips actually recalled there first 100hz sets after masses of complaints, in order to try and correct the problem which they could not.
Speak up then where are your facts coming from your arse I reckon

1. Maybe your monitor is crap but mine can go 100hz (as well as many other monitors).
2. You don't need to be a video engineer to notice that 100hz looks much better than 50hz.
3. You are right about the ghost trail but it is only visible if you sit too close to the tv. Anyway it doesn't disturb the eye as much as 50hz.

Scaramanga

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:01:00 AM »

The technologys are diffrent but the outcome is the same-
You get less flicker which is more easy to look at.

Chancer

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 02:22:00 AM »

stupmod the fault is indeed the CRT itself. If the letters on the tube sticker inside have WSF or ESF in them its a known problem. I have had tubes replaced by philips free for this fault. There is a dodge that your TV repair guy can try which sometimes works (works 70 percent of the times )
As the fault is caused by a heater cathode short or leak in the tube you can disconnect the supply to the heaters including the ground and then fit in the TV a small seperate heater transformer. I usually tap the primary off the mains supply. You can actually also drive the heaters by making a winding on the outside of the line transformer but wou,d need to experimant with the number of turns to get the correct output.
Your TV guy should know what you mean if you give him this info. Good luck with it

Chancer

• Archived User
100hz Television
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »

If it cures the problem it will work indefinetely. I have done a few with no comebacks at all.