xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Component Pack Should I Get?  (Read 67 times)

Big HDD

• Archived User
Which Component Pack Should I Get?
« on: November 09, 2003, 05:08:00 PM »

ight, i need help deciding on which hi-def av pack ima get, cuz there are four major types....
1:Intec pack....looks exactly like the M$ pack-$20
2:M$ pack-$20
3:Madcatz Ultra AV kit......composite, s-vid, and RGB, and digital out and stereo out, bnd all cables included-$30
4:Monster Gamelink 400X-$45 in town....not getting it off the 'net.
I also wanna know which one has best w/e, and which is the best deal.
I also need info on a component switch....heard of a JVC-$100 and a madcatz-$30.
thanks

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »

no one?
at least say if u have a certain type and if u like it, etc.....

r0lf-

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 09:35:00 PM »

The MS one is a GREAT deal because of the included component cables. If you goto buy some cables seperately, they are atleast 30 dollars for CHEAP ones.

I really like my MS pack because of the optical out and the included cables.

If you have some phyco 1080i HDTV setup, then I would go with the monster since you would be recieving a crazy signal.

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 11:12:00 PM »

Get the MS set, you cant get any better than the original stuff.

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 08:15:00 AM »

$20 is cheaper than any set of component video cables I've ever seen.  For $20 from MS, you get the cables and the A/V adapter; plus, you can't go wrong with the people who make the system.

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 07:35:00 PM »

i appreciate everyone's opinions, but is there a true winner....by stats, and that one is better than the others?
I have a 36 Sony FD Trinitron TV(not a true HDTV, but has component-in)

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 07:51:00 PM »

i had purchased the M$ s-vid pack and it wasnt as good as the later-bought monster s-video cables of mine, so are you sure that the monster's wouldnt be better???
u know what, im not gonna buy the monsters anyways, cuz i aint payin anothwer 30 for freakin 5.1 surround!!!!!!
ill trade my s-vid's for the component pack straight-up in town, would that be a good deal, cuz i bought the monster 300x's for 22 on ebay shipped, so after tax, ertc. its about the same!
now for a component switch......

bleugh

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 01:52:00 AM »

get whichever one's the cheapest

the m$ ones are as good as it gets though

otherwise wire your own up!

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 06:32:00 AM »

I've spoken and heard from a lot of sources on this one:

MS HD Pack: Decent - significant improvment if you upgrade the cables it comes with (that right there should tell you their cables are not top of the line - obviously the connector box is not the weak link in the original package but how much it holds you back with better cables I don't know).  The optical out is standard so a basic cable is all you need for 5.1

Monster Pack: Noticably higher quality build all around and tighter fittings.  Those who have tried both this and the M$ pack generally believe this allows for a cleaner signal and have returned the M$ opting to keep the Monster (haven't seen a comparison between the Monster and an M$ with upgraded cables though).  Proprietary optical cable will cost you for 5.1 sound.  No ability to replace cables with your own.

Keep in mind that people with 32" Sony XBRs couldn't tell any difference between these packs or upgrading the M$ cables.  The majority of people able to notice distinct differences between these 2 packs are using 50"-100" screens.  That being said, those owning large high quality setups definitely reported a difference in upgrading the M$ cables.  If you don't have a large screen - go with M$ as it's cheaper.  If you do, maybe you buy both and a set of better cables for the M$ - try it all out and see what you feel like keeping.

Personally, I wasn't going to pay to upgrade the M$ cables making it a wash in price against the Monster.  I sat both of them down side by side and it was instantly apparent which had the heavier and more solid build quality.  I opted for the Monster ($35 at Gamestop) without auditioning the M$ cables.

Note: I am not endorsing Monster products and I do not believe they make top of the line products accross the board.  However, in this case where you are limited to two quality offerings M$ and Monster, I believe the Monster pack to be supperior - at least out of the box.

Rileq

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »

I have both the Monster and the M$ pack (because I like to waste money that way..  laugh.gif ), and my suggestion is to get the M$ one. Buying the Monster Cable + The Lightlink (for 5.1) runs almost 70 bucks, compared to 20 for the M$ one, and the difference is not too noticeable.  smile.gif

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »

ok, i am gonna get the M$ pack....now, which component switch should i get.....cuz there is a $30 madcatz one that i was considering, and havent heard of anyone having it....and also could i get a cheapo fiber optic cable or should i invest in a good one?

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 11:21:00 AM »

ight, cuz they have cheap 5-6 ft optical cables at meijer for like......$3 or so.
Anyone know WHAT SWITCH SHOULD I GET???????
here is what i am into.....
Madactz component switch for $12 buy it now on ebay
JVC component switch for around 80-90 on ebay......
WHICH ONE???????/
or is there a better one/any other ones?

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (Big HDD @ Nov 13 2003, 09:21 PM)
ight, cuz they have cheap 5-6 ft optical cables at meijer for like......$3 or so.
Anyone know WHAT SWITCH SHOULD I GET???????
here is what i am into.....
Madactz component switch for $12 buy it now on ebay
JVC component switch for around 80-90 on ebay......
WHICH ONE???????/
or is there a better one/any other ones?

I don't know anything about component switches as I have plenty of inputs.  I am sure you will get complete information on the forums at either:

www.avsforum.com
www.hometheaterspot.com

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 06:23:00 AM »

http://www.avsforum....threadid=321272

Here's a perfect link for your component video switch question - 3 pages of info - I didn't read it though but it was still being posted on as of today.

Big HDD

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »

sad.gif  ) sad.gif  sad.gif
Pages: [1] 2