xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unleashx On Virtualized Drive  (Read 364 times)

Kyro

• Archived User
Unleashx On Virtualized Drive
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:18:00 AM »

i ve reported once the problem here :
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=328837

and rmenhal, suggested that :
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...dpost&p=2197611
(see the "EDIT" part of the post)

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

i softmodded 2 xboxes in the last 2 weeks using nkpatcher.  one box was v1.0 and the other was a v1.6.   on both boxes, unleashx worked fine as my default dash on shadowc.  i was using unleashx v.37 build 543.

as far as running it from virtual F or G...why?  why are you doing such a funky thing?
just run it like normal from E...sheesh

Kyro

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »

click here :

rmenhal has maybe found the bug in unleashx about being launched from a virtualized g drive

however it works from a virtualized f drive

and it s very useful when softmodding because :
all the exploit files are located on the real C drive and the virtualisation let me totally hide the real C (by setting "use F drive" to "no" to unleash and every other apps that have the possibility to see the f drive)

so, now, my friends have no risk to screw with the exploit

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:29:00 AM »

yes, i am aware of the purported reasons to virtualize C (hiding it from the user, etc.)

why would you virtualize F or G?  in the post you linked, you said it was because you were using the stock, retail hard-drive, but i don't see why that is a good reason.  you could put unleashx on E and run it from there.

Kyro

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kthulu @ Jan 12 2005, 01:24 PM)
yes, i am aware of the purported reasons to virtualize C (hiding it from the user, etc.)

why would you virtualize F or G?  in the post you linked, you said it was because you were using the stock, retail hard-drive, but i don't see why that is a good reason.  you could put unleashx on E and run it from there.

there may have been a misunderstanding here, i dont speak english fluently, but what i mean was :
- my real C drive was shadowed to the G drive
- so G is a virtual partition (that s what i call virtualise G, but this may be incorrect), but unleashx doesnt work properly from here due to a bug described by rmenhal
- so i did the same thing but on F, real C shadowed on F, and i set F not to be used, so non accessible... and everything runs from it

i hope i m clearer

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

ok, you are virtualizing C.  you keep the virtual C image on F or G.  that makes sense.  thanks for clearing that up.  sorry to give you a hard time about it.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »

Ok as an outsider Opinion here you making a virtual drive of G: when you have no F:  :blink: I'd say that if unleashX see's that you don't have a F: drive it dosn't even bother to look for G: since in the pre nkpatcher wor'ld that just dosn't happen if you have G: you must have F:

This post has been edited by Jezz_X: Jan 13 2005, 12:36 AM

Kyro

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kyro @ Jan 12 2005, 02:26 PM)
- [...] and i set F not to be used, so non accessible... and everything runs from it
[...]

i said this too quickly, virtual drive F can't be hidden after all, maybe unleashx can't hide drive with content in it?

and furthermore, if i set F not to be used, mini icons in the "settings" menu doesnt show, but they appear when i set F to be used.

so as a conclusion, unleashx :
- can t load config.xml from a virtual G drive, but can hide F & G
- can t hide the partion F, where it was launched (the purpose of lastest nkpatcher, for a newbie friendly softmod experience : do not have the possibility to access vital exploit files)

wafflezone

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 04:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ Jan 12 2005, 11:03 PM)
Ok as an outsider Opinion here you making a virtual drive of G: when you have no F:  :blink: I'd say that if unleashX see's that you don't have a F: drive it dosn't even bother to look for G: since in the pre nkpatcher wor'ld that just dosn't happen if you have G: you must have F:

It doesn't work on my G drive even though I have an F drive. I would very much like to see this bug fixed for the next release.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kyro @ Jan 17 2005, 09:55 AM)
i said this too quickly, virtual drive F can't be hidden after all, maybe unleashx can't hide drive with content in it?

yes, you are still saying it too quickly.  when you say virtual drive F, you must mean that you have a virtual C drive (shadowc.img) somewhere on your F drive...because it would seem crazy to actually virtualize F...what would be the purpose?
from the nkpatcher config.inc file:
;;;                   the usual C drive partition number is 2. However, you
;;;                   could replace any drive with a virtual drive. The feature
;;;                   name "virtual C" is thus a bit misleading, although there's
;;;                   not much point virtualizing any other drive.

not trying to bust your balls about your english, i'm just trying to make sure the problem is really understood...so it can be fixed.

Kyro

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

when i speak about virtual f drive i mean : nkpatcher puts real c drive on f

and, in my case, every exploit files (unleashx too) are located on the real c drive even the shadowc.img

so after nkpatcher is launched : on the c, i have the content of shadowc.img
and on the f, i have the content of the real c drive

so now i just want to hide the f (by settting use f drive to no in unleashx settings) to avoid possible mess with exploit files but it s not possible, furthermore icons in the settings menu of unleashx aren t visible

but another thing now

when i do the same exact thing but on G, this time G is not visible, but unleashx can be launched by nkpatcher but cant load config.xml, so unleashx appears without any skin, or any other settings like network... (and still the same settings icons bug, they dont appear on the settings menu)
and we cant change/save any settings...

i hope i m clear enough

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »

so now i just want to hide the f (by settting use f drive to no in unleashx settings) to avoid possible mess with exploit files but it s not possible, furthermore icons in the settings menu of unleashx aren t visible

nkpatcher provides the facilities to hide partitions.  why are you trying to hide the real C by mapping it to F and then disabling F drive support in unleashx?

so it sounds to me like you want to use a virtual C drive (shadowc.img) and hide the real C drive.  if you wanted the real C drive hidden, why did you map it to F?  with your shadowc.img on C, once the shadowc.img is loaded you will not see the shadowc.img on C and you will not see the real C because the virtual C (shadowc.img) has been loaded.  doesn't that sound more logical?

Kyro

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 05:27:00 AM »

i also want to hide shadowc.img

so shadowc.img is on the real c drive, so i m forced to locate real c to f or any other letter to allow the shadowing to be effective

indeed nkpatcher cant load shadow.img directly from real C to map it to a new virtual c

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kyro @ Feb 2 2005, 05:57 AM)
i also want to hide shadowc.img

so shadowc.img is on the real c drive, so i m forced to locate real c to f or any other letter to allow the shadowing to be effective

indeed nkpatcher cant load shadow.img directly from real C to map it to a new virtual c

i'm pretty sure you are mistaken about many things in your post...but i will double check tonight by re-reading the documentation and actually putting the proposed setup on my box.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »

i had a little aim chat with someone for configmation...

1.  you CAN have shadowc.img on the REAL c partition and nkpatcher will load it.
2.  once the shadowc.img is loaded, the reall C partition is hidden.  at this point, if you see a shadowc.img on C you can just delete it.
3.  you CAN remap the real C to some other drive letter, though i'm not sure why you would need this, i've come to understand that it is a common practice, so...i won't try to disuade you from this...still seems ridiculous though if you want to sometimes hide it...by disabling the F drive in your dashboard.  if you need access to the real C drive back to upgrade nkpatcher in the future, you could just boot a hacked gamesave.  that's seems very convenient to me...unless you don't have one of the games...but if you're a soft-modder and you don't have one of the games...that's crazy to me too.

anyway, i'll shut up now and won't try to disuade people do whatever crazy things they want to do...because it's just crazy for me to try and do that :)

Pages: [1] 2