xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ux Getting A Bad Reputaion Ux Read This  (Read 177 times)

Kthulu

• Archived User
Ux Getting A Bad Reputaion Ux Read This
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Jul 21 2004, 01:48 AM)
Well, I'm willing to forego the default skin, if no one will complain about a 10MB+ dashboard wink.gif

cool, good to see you around again!

to all others here that don't know it, this is why the default skin is what it is.  UX uses the MS dashboard fonts, pictures, etc.  cause they are already on the hard-drive and don't need to be compiled into UX's default.xbe.  if you start compiling other graphic files and fonts etc into UX, the file size will get bigger.  others may disagree and that is fine, but as for myself...i'd rather keep the default.xbe under 4-5mb.

if the last post by Organic_Pepsi is a real concern, then maybe a change would be good, but the skin should be something that doesn't use alot of extra resources...like the one by Jezz_X above (which doesn't use any extra media files).  however, if we are really trying to 'sell' UX with the default skin, then i have some suggestions.  Put the following items in the root menu and make the root menu 'long enough' to show most of these items without scrolling.

File Manager
Game Save Manager
System Settings
Skins
Clock Settings
etc.

hope everyone sees what i mean there...smack'em in the face...right off the bat...with nice UX features.

i don't care if the default skin changes or not.  i'm happy the way it is.  those are just suggestions IF a change occurs.  of course, even if the dash was 10mb+, i'd prolly still use it.  some of you might be wondering why i would care if the xbe got above 4-5mb.  at that point, it would be very difficult to incorporate into a good game-save hack.  i know UX isn't used that way alot.  i may be the only one that does it and even i don't use that way alot.  other than that, all i can say is that it 'just doesn't seem right' smile.gif

whatever, is decided...i will not complain.

ORGANIC_PEPSI

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »

and wtf does this mean?
neo geo only works in ava???
source

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (ORGANIC_PEPSI @ Jul 21 2004, 07:51 PM)
and wtf does this mean?
neo geo only works in ava???
source

That the person thinks avalaunch is the only dash worthy of being in his arcade  mad.gif

_n3o_

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

if uxteam want my skin i'll give them (milkyX max)

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 05:14:00 PM »

wink.gif  and the winner gets to have it made the default skin.  I guess since its unleashX's dash he should be the one to pick.  No offense but the public pick some pretty stupid things as contest winnners

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

No offense but the public pick some pretty stupid things as contest winnners

LOL - ain't that the truth! (Insert random Bush/Gore joke here...)
Seriously, size is a concern, keep it under 2mb and all will be happy I reckon. 10mb - no way.
Personally, I still think the default dash does the job, everyone chooses skins they want/like afterwards anyway. Some will put up with the extra time it takes for them to load (not me!), others like "quickies" such as Chromulous. But I think speed is vital, not flash.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Jul 21 2004, 01:48 AM)
Well, I'm willing to forego the default skin, if no one will complain about a 10MB+ dashboard wink.gif

i agree with Intensecure...

...but just to clarify...i believe when UnleashX said '10mb+ dashboard' that he was thinking you guys wanted him to COMPILE the skin into the default.xbe.  that is the only way to make a skin the true default (without using a pre-made config.xml) if the skin doesn't need any extra font or image files (all it needs is a skin.xml), then i don't have a problem with that.  it wouldn't increase the size of default.xbe.

i believe Jezz_X is now proposing something different.  that would be to make a light skin (one that uses extra files, but small when all the files are rar'd) that skin would be bundled or rar'd with UX in the Skin directory (not compiled into default.xbe).  i don't have a problem with this either as i could always remove whatever skins from game-saves.  my only concern with size relates to the size of the default.xbe.  i don't care how big the download from xbins gets.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »

i believe Jezz_X is now proposing something different.  that would be to make a light skin (one that uses extra files, but small when all the files are rar'd) that skin would be bundled or rar'd with UX in the Skin directory (not compiled into default.xbe).

Exactly then it could be used on first run of the dash after a fresh install and if anything really stuffs up bad (like someone forgot to pack it a distro) then revert to the straight text only default dash

i don't care how big the download from xbins gets.

I do the whole world does not have broadband I myself am stuck on a 56k and although I would download it just to get the new version under 5 meg with added stuff/skins included would be ok for me.  It really anoys me when things like XBMC get packed with 5 skins making it out 40meg when with one skin its only 18meg

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »

i believe when UnleashX said '10mb+ dashboard' that he was thinking you guys wanted him to COMPILE the skin into the default.xbe

I understand that, and am completely against it - as I am sure most other users will be. Already the xbe is larger than most, but worth it for it's features. However, "selling" a 10mb xbe, just because it looks great, wouldn't achieve what this topic started - namely getting more users attracted to this dash. Couple of light skins, as Jezz_X and Kthulu says, bundled with the dash is the way to go. I mean, that was the case before right? Console UI and another (I forget) were bundled with? We just maybe need something new (no disrespect to those skins), bit more choice now that so many nice skins are available.

Edit: And I strongly disagree about having preview vids in the default dash. Not everyone wants to download them, not everyone has a bigger HD to store them. And it looks weird if you have, say, Unleash Blu2 with the "preview unavailable" and a big blank space wink.gif

_n3o_

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »

tongue.gif
Pages: 1 [2]