xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Makes Unleashx Slightly Suck...  (Read 276 times)

discworld

• Archived User
What Makes Unleashx Slightly Suck...
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I loved UnleashX when it first launched, it got me using my xbox again for the first time in a while, and it was a huge leap from evoX...but now, its just gone down hill.

Two promises made by UnleashX when he did the first version:
1) to make and keep it a simple, speedy little dash
2) to go its own way rather than following MXM and co.
3) most important objective: to make it safe

None of these promises have been kept. The last two versions have been slow and buggy.
UnleashX bowed to the pressure of people who wanted another MXM, he forgot all the stuff he had wanted initially and made his dash into a slow, sluggish at times skinning-based system. The skinning system which was brilliant already was overloaded with options to include videos in any way imaginable, leading to black screens on bootup and jittery movements in-dash.
He did what MXM had already done, breaking promise number 2. He took it down the slow-but-pretty route...he didnt spend time with important, useful stuff like improving FTP or adding the text-editor he also pledged to deliver.

Then he got so carried away with all the un-needed features that he oversaw huge bugs which could stop your xbox from booting if you had music saved on your hdd! I had to use Slayer's  bootdisc for the first time because of this!

The dash has turned into a shambles, regardless what some of its die hard fans may say...it really needs to get back on track.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »

I only started using it the other day, and have been on 1224 from the beginning, really, so I can't attest to any of what you say being true or false, really; however I do share you sentiment that fruity things can wait.

I'm all for the skinning options though, since I am a big fruit about that myself.

discworld

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »

I used that version for a little while, but i can't live without soundtracks for PGR2, so I went back to the original version. the only version that is really safe.
Those skin things didn't have to wait either, there was no reason for them to be there at all! If you want all those lovely skinning options - go to MXM! smile.gif

MissSplitch

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »

MXM plasters its name all over shit, and has that faggy Matrix shit. Fuck that.

discworld

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

I totally agree...except...how is unleashX better than MXM.

The reason UnleashX was better than mxm was because it was FAR faster and FAR simpler, but now...its just joined the line of wannabes. It isnt faster and it isnt simpler.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

See, this is interesting, as all of the features people seem to like are the ones for people who don't know what the fuck is going on.

Why would I need a preview video for a game? I own the game, don't I? And even if I don't "own" the game, if I pirated it, I would still have played it at least once, what the fuck is the point of a preview video for a game? Skinning at least allows you to personalize your box, and MXM prevents complete personalization because it plasters MXM in the center of the loading screen, and has the damn matrix shit. I don't want the matrix on my box, and as nice as BenJeremy is, and for all the work he's done, it's not as though half of the skinners for EVERY dashboard don't plaster the dash's name somewhere in the design, couldn't we have the option to NOT have MEDIA X MENU in the loading screen?

UnleashX doesn't plaster its name everywhere. Therefore unleashX is a better dash to me.

EDIT: and if you're all about safety and simplicity, why not just stick with EvoX? I mean, it's what we were all "raised" on, really, and does just about everything that is simple that absolutely needs to be done. Going to another dash is for when you want something else. For me, at the moment, it's a menu/skinning system that I can design. It sucks when people who make good programs don't know shit about UI aesthetics and functionality. Center-aligned text? Thank you, EvoX, because I am a fucking child, and could not manage to run anything unless it was in a huge font in the center of my screen.

Give me an EvoX where I can set the area the menu resides in, and take off that fucking spinning EvoX shit, and I'll be fine. Until then, UnleashX does what I want it to (well, so far anyway) and hasn't hit too big of a hitch with me. It's been the first dashboard that the designer didn't demand we acknowledge them whenever we turn our boxes on.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »

I agree, it is nice to have someone who actually listens, unlike EvoX, which updates every once in a while to no great deal.

discworld

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »

Thats talking about the guy, not the dash.
And maybe he listens TOO MUCH, the dash has just gone off on the road of the few outspoken people who like video-previews, video-screensavers and video-intros.

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »

you all need to quit your bitching, its a free dash its gonna be what the designer makes it if you want simple and safe dont use a dash that is still in development and still has bugs...your all morons if you think buggy not even complete software will be safe! this dash is what unleash siad it would be in the beginging but with bugs he always siad he planned on implementing more skinning options and preview vids so what the fuck are you surprised at?!

go use evox if you dotn like frosting on your cake or testing this still in progress dash.
this dash rox and will only get better

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (MissSplitch @ Jan 6 2004, 02:16 PM)
MXM plasters its name all over shit, and has that faggy Matrix shit. Fuck that.

You know, the "faggy Matrix shit" IS removable dry.gif

crobar

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

avengingangel
i agree ...this post is fuct

Luke

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (MissSplitch @ Jan 6 2004, 07:34 PM)
See, this is interesting, as all of the features people seem to like are the ones for people who don't know what the fuck is going on.

Why would I need a preview video for a game? I own the game, don't I? And even if I don't "own" the game, if I pirated it, I would still have played it at least once, what the fuck is the point of a preview video for a game? Skinning at least allows you to personalize your box, and MXM prevents complete personalization because it plasters MXM in the center of the loading screen, and has the damn matrix shit. I don't want the matrix on my box, and as nice as BenJeremy is, and for all the work he's done, it's not as though half of the skinners for EVERY dashboard don't plaster the dash's name somewhere in the design, couldn't we have the option to NOT have MEDIA X MENU in the loading screen?

UnleashX doesn't plaster its name everywhere. Therefore unleashX is a better dash to me.

EDIT: and if you're all about safety and simplicity, why not just stick with EvoX? I mean, it's what we were all "raised" on, really, and does just about everything that is simple that absolutely needs to be done. Going to another dash is for when you want something else. For me, at the moment, it's a menu/skinning system that I can design. It sucks when people who make good programs don't know shit about UI aesthetics and functionality. Center-aligned text? Thank you, EvoX, because I am a fucking child, and could not manage to run anything unless it was in a huge font in the center of my screen.

Give me an EvoX where I can set the area the menu resides in, and take off that fucking spinning EvoX shit, and I'll be fine. Until then, UnleashX does what I want it to (well, so far anyway) and hasn't hit too big of a hitch with me. It's been the first dashboard that the designer didn't demand we acknowledge them whenever we turn our boxes on.

Wow... nice language  rolleyes.gif....
Eitherway, you CAN remove all the matrix stuff from MXM...
Sounds like that is your biggest complaint about MXM...

It may be a little bit slower... loads in 14 seconds for me...

morpheous1777

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (avengingangel @ Jan 6 2004, 03:49 PM)
Personally speaking I don't think anyone has the right to bash anyone's work in this scene..

-  The developers don't make a penny doing this.  This guy made his own dashboard for his own personal use and decided to SHARE it with you.  Yes  he changed his mind on where he was going with it but hey.......  NO ONE forced you to use it nor is anyone continuing to force you to use it.
- ALL the things that were incorporated into the dashboard were asked for on this forum by at least one person...  He's tries to be a nice guy and looks what's happens.

If it weren't for people like this all you'd be able to do with your modded xbox is insert and play copied DVD's of games.

So please.... If you don't have anything good to say then please keep it to yourself.

I may get bashed for posting this but I don't really care at this point...  I remember the day the developer came onto the scene to share his personal work.  He spents hours of his own time answering questions and helping people out with it and on top of that listened to people's requests and incorporated most of them into his dashboard for everyone's benefit.

I totally agree.
Plain and simple if you dont like it, dont use it, and please dont diss it, that goes for ALL the dashboards

one of the mods needs to trash this thread before it gets any worse.

morpheous1777

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

Double Post

MissSplitch

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (yourwishismine @ Jan 6 2004, 08:10 PM)
Well... you see Miss Bitch,  the reason you would want a preview video for a game.. is because you have friends that come over that haven't played the game.  But I guess, since you have no friends, you wouldn't know anything about that...

I guess I just don't have idiot friends who want to play things they haven't heard shit about.

I think the issue is that you need to have the extraneous flash of preview videos, not the utility therein.

EDIT: Ah, it rhymes; I get it. Very witty.
Pages: [1] 2