xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Editing Xm Files(for New Skins In Bsx)  (Read 209 times)

PID

• Archived User
Editing Xm Files(for New Skins In Bsx)
« on: July 12, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »

Editing or creating the .xm's is a quirky process that requires some good 3D knowlege. More software than xm to ase converter and Max is required. Namely Deep Exploration.

If you find me in the BSX channel or PM me from the BSX forums, I will be glad to help you out. It's not something I could go through in one post, as it depends on what you are trying make/convert/achieve.

I can give you a little rundown tho. The m$ dash needs all models to be an editable mesh with texture mapping, to be converted by ASE to XM and to dispaly your image correctly. This is a problem if you want your models to look like the ones in the dash (they have no texture mapping). ASE to XM doesn't handle this, so the long and the short is you have to texture your models with an xbx image to make them look ok, thats where the mapping coords come in. Also there is a "default" material that REZN8 have used on the models. I have been trying to recreate this without success (although I can do specular highlights). I am currently trying to reverse engineer this materal via HEX an apply it to my models so they look like the dash ones.

I had intended to write a full tutorial on how I got all my stuff into the dash, and if I ever get time I still might. But I must admit, I really don't feel like doing so anymore, as everyone here has branded me a thief, so someone else must of done this before me, and already knows all this shit, although I have yet to see a properlly materialed model in a hacked M$ dash as of yet. (One that didn't come from REZN8).