xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Zpoints...  (Read 107 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« on: February 02, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

Here's a test menu done with ZPoints:

(IMG:http://www.writersgallery.com/MXM/ZPointExample01.jpg)

The screen above is showing a video in the circular region. It is not masked. The menu spins around this circular preview, along with the thumbs, in a smooth fashion.

I've just added the ability to define a circular regions

Here's an example of two ZPoint sets:

CODE

These are defined like resources, then named in the object's position tag. This allows you to share multiple ZPoints between text and image elements.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »

Cool.  Now cirkular can be even more circular smile.gif

geniusalz

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

Any chance of spheres (using normals and whatnot), and ability to 'rotate' spheres?  Rotation is around the y-axis, so the effect is the image spinning out of view.

fLEx7325

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Nice! Man these z points are complicated to me. Altough I haven't messed around with them yet.  blink.gif  What is a simple definition of a z point??  Just need to understand the basics and ill go from there.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Feb 3 2004, 12:41 AM)
Any chance of spheres (using normals and whatnot), and ability to 'rotate' spheres?  Rotation is around the y-axis, so the effect is the image spinning out of view.

I have to think about that a bit.... and play with the variables a little. Should be possible, though.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (fLEx7325 @ Feb 3 2004, 02:32 AM)
Nice! Man these z points are complicated to me. Altough I haven't messed around with them yet.  blink.gif  What is a simple definition of a z point??  Just need to understand the basics and ill go from there.

A "ZPoint" is the definition of a vertice in Direct3D. A set of these make up a set of primitives (the raw mode allows you to specify what type of primitives).

There's actually a lengthy discussion with illustrations elsewhere here.

In short though, a ZPoint has an X, Y, Z, and Normal, along with Texture Mapping coordinates (TU, TV).

Combined with the "tweener" modifier, MXM can smoothly transition between two (equal types and number of primitives) sets when you change menu selections, for example. This provides the smooth scroll effect the "WIP" testers get when they try out this menu.

It should be a simple matter to recreate Unleash(ed)X's or M$'s orbs or Ava's cube to make skins convertable to MXM. biggrin.gif In fact, at this point, it should be possible to do a decent approximation of the original dashboard using the features described here.

flattspott

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »

Also heres some other stuff BJ said about ZPoints

QUOTE (flattspott @ Jan 22 2004, 02:22 PM)
Z N TU TV ... I know what L T W an H but what are those for? More specifically, what do they stand for? Like L = Left, T = Top, etc, ect. 

Z: Position in the Z axis (depth) - 0.0 to 1.0, generally
N: "Normal" - defailts to 1.0, use this unless you understand vectors and how these can be used to properly "warp" and image texture.
TU: Texture "X" value. 0.0 is the left side, 1.0 is the right side.
TV: Texture "Y" value. 0.0 is the top, 1.0 is the bottom.

So, at each point, you can determine the exact placement of the image or text at a specific point.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »

BJ: I know you're in the middle of doing the dialog stuff right now, but can you please get the new scrolling option in?  i.e. MXM waits for the current animation to complete before moving on to the next item while scrolling, and using triggers can speed up the animation.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Feb 4 2004, 11:58 AM)
BJ: I know you're in the middle of doing the dialog stuff right now, but can you please get the new scrolling option in?  i.e. MXM waits for the current animation to complete before moving on to the next item while scrolling, and using triggers can speed up the animation.

I'll take a look at doing that.

DBZRacer

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »

I just DL'd the WIP and tested out the new skin. WOW this thing scrolls sooo smooth!  :beer: Now I'm gonna be forced to learn how to use zpoints!  :P

Anyways, has anyone attempted to even start to replicate the MS Dash background? Cuz I'm sure once that codes been written, lots of skinners can take it and run with it with all kinds of new themed skins...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Zpoints...
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 07:49:00 AM »

I'll also have to add a few more goodies to the tweener and ZPoint bag of tricks... ZPoint Line , Rectangle, Cube primitives (with rotation), alpha amount, and texture shifting.

Then comes more trickiness - manipulating 3-D objects. biggrin.gif

I've been amazed at some of the things people have done with MXM so far, and I want to make sure we get the most wigged-out skins around in the future.