xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pwr Button Mod  (Read 222 times)

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« on: December 12, 2002, 09:10:00 PM »

SINCE THE ORIGINAL LED IS TRI-COLOR  (I THINK) IF YOU REPLACE THAT ONE WITH A BLUE FOR EXAMPLE HOW ARE YOU GONNA GET AN RED/ORANGE ERROR  ?

*I found this one but i dotn get it, this one have 4 legs   :uhh:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/TriColor%20LED.htm

(IMG:http://www.superbrightleds.com/gifs/led_rgb_dim.gif)  

;)

Xevious

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 09:34:00 PM »

The original LED is a two-chip, three-lead bicolor LED. (Red/Green, plus Red+Green = yellowy orange)

So, you have three options, as I see it:

1) Replace the bicolor LED with a blue LED and loose the ability to read error codes (NOT recommended)

2) Cut the green anode of the original bicolor LED as close to the package as possible, desolder the cut lead, and add a blue LED in its place, soldering the blue LED's cathode directly to the bicolor's cathode.

3) Replace the bicolor LED entirely with two new LEDs in your choice of colors. Just be sure to pick colors that when combined make a third distinguishable color. (e.g. red+blue, yellow+blue, red+white, orange+violet, etc., etc. Green+blue would not be recommended because the combined color (indigo-teal) would be difficult to differentiate from blue.)

Just keep in mind that the center pin of the bicolor is the cathode. If memory serves, the anodes are actually labeled as "red" and "green" on the circuit board. How nice of M$! :D

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 09:59:00 PM »

so i cant use the one above ???  

or if i use this one and cut the green led and use the blue and the red what color i get with the blue+red ???

or where i can find led like the one you talk about ??

Xevious

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 10:16:00 PM »

Q1 - No, don't use that one; you'll be wasting your money.

Q2 - Don't use that one. Get a normal blue LED from Radio Shack (or equiv.) and attach it using my method #2. Red+blue makes magenta, but the blue will probably overpower the red and you'll see more of a violet.

Q3 - Which LED that I talk about? I talked about several! Do you have access to Radio Shack? If not, which supplier do you use?

Easier answer - any 5mm LED should work. Common colors (red, green, yellow, orange, blue, white) are available at Radio Shack, others are only available through electronics suppliers. Word to the wise - the parts that Radio Shack (and similar) stock are OLD, cheap parts, meaning that the blue LEDs require high voltages and the white LEDs require even higher voltages. If you use Radio Shack, avoid the white LEDs, and if you want blue, go for the cheaper (and less bright) of the two or three that they offer.

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 11:03:00 PM »

Do you have access to Radio Shack? If not, which supplier do you use?

:blink:  sure , where do you think am from ????             :D

Cut the green anode of the original bicolor LED as close to the package as possible, desolder the cut lead, and add a blue LED in its place, soldering the blue LED's cathode directly to the bicolor's cathode.

you sure this would work without any risk of damage anything ???  have you done this??? ;)

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 11:16:00 PM »

this may work....the intensity MCD doesnt matter for this purpose right!!!

(IMG:http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/276/276-311.jpg)

Specs:
      Typical MCD is 300. Typical wavelength is 430nm. Size is T1 3/4 or 5mm. Clear lens color. Viewing angle is 24°. 30mA (max). Typical Voltage is 5.0, with a maximum voltage of 6.0V. Comes as a package of 1.

Xevious

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (reaven @ Dec 13 2002, 07:10 AM)
you sure this would work without any risk of damage anything ??? have you done this???

Yes, it'll work. Truuuust me. ;) Fact is, there's just nothing that can go wrong! Worse case scenario is you install the LED backwards (solution - reverse it) or somehow manage to fry the LED (???). Either way, your Xbox is fine.

Specs:
      Typical MCD is 300. Typical wavelength is 430nm. Size is T1 3/4 or 5mm. Clear lens color. Viewing angle is 24°. 30mA (max). Typical Voltage is 5.0, with a maximum voltage of 6.0V. Comes as a package of 1.

The voltage is a bit high, but it should work just fine. You probably won't get the maximum brightness out of this LED, but that's okay too - it's plenty bright anyway!

Remember to get TWO - one for each side of the eject button!

:beer:                                    

This post has been edited by Xevious: Dec 13 2002, 08:49 AM

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 12:55:00 AM »

thats specs is from rat shack the only blue i can find online in their site!!!  

i think the brightness it doesnt matter in this case cause the led will only illuminate the power button ring !!     :o

BTW. thanks for all the help !!! B)

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 01:01:00 AM »

by the way , what is the use of an infrared led  ???   ;)

Xevious

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 08:57:00 AM »

by the way , what is the use of an infrared led ???

Ever used a remote control???  :D

Radio Shack also sells a super-bright blue LED rated at 2600MCD. That's hella bright, but its specs are more compatible with the original LEDs. Consider getting it instead. (RSCN 276-311)                                    

This post has been edited by Xevious: Dec 13 2002, 04:59 PM

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »

2) Cut the green anode of the original bicolor LED as close to the package as possible, desolder the cut lead, and add a blue LED in its place, soldering the blue LED's cathode directly to the bicolor's cathode.

what you mean by close to the package ??? and when you said "soldering the blue LED's cathode directly to the bicolor's cathode." you mean solder the original led cathode and the blue led cathode together ??

neonman

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »

or make it a lot easier and get one of these
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu...tml?id=JeZCoohC
:jester:

reaven

• Archived User
Pwr Button Mod
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »

:( why you dont post that 10min ago  !!!!  thanks anyway next time will be ! B)

This post has been edited by reaven: Feb 3 2003, 10:17 PM