xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Jewel Mod  (Read 235 times)

Rebel-Soul

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« on: January 22, 2003, 07:03:00 PM »

im sanding right now it will be transparent dont use like grade two or nething first sand off with like 400 or 300 then go like 2000 and it is wicked smooth

Harry Paratestes

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 08:32:00 PM »

After you finish with the 2000 grit sandpaper, take a cotton rag and do a final polish with toothpaste and a little water. This will produce a super smoothe shine. toothpaste has a very fine grit in it and works great as a plastic polish. You should also do the top with the toothpaste, it will remove any hairline scratches the occured while handling it. :lol:

Mongoose

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »

I just soaked mine in Goof-off... it took the black rubber and the green paint off in about an hour-ish... if you watch it, you can remove it before it takes the inlaid silver paint off (in the word "XBox"). That's how I got mine off w/ no negative side effects... just keep a close eye on it... oh... and rub on it with a Q-Tip every now and then (helps loosen the rubber/paint).

socrates

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

Do not use paint remover as it will eat through the plastic jewel.

Mongoose

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 03:20:00 AM »

Socrates, paint remover can DEFINATELY eat though and damage some plastics - and I was a little nervous experimenting on my jewel, however,  mine came out completely unharmed. I did watch it like a hawk and removed and washed it (with water) immediately after the green paint was off. My guess is that either the jewel is made of a different type of plastic that isn't harmed by solvents, the length of time it was left soaking was short enough that no damage was done, or I just got very lucky :) Like I said, I even managed to get mine out with the silver paint still on (the green is completely removed).

You do make a good point though... it is DEFINATELY a risk. The safe way is to sand it - I just happened to be lazy and daring. I should also add that solvent WILL eat though the black XBox case plastic - I had an incident with that (fortunately very minor and hidden w/ paint).

_BOON_

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »

I Just used nail polish remover and cotton wool on mine, came up a treat.

gamingguru

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »

Hey, Yes I've read the guides and yes I know that they say to use sandpaper to remove the green color on the jewel.But it seem to me that using sandpaper would scratch the jewel a lot. Does anybody know if it would be possible to use some sort of paint remover to get the green off.
I just don't know if that would harm the jewel or not.Anybody that has tried this please reply

knowledgeiv

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 05:59:00 PM »

I haven't messed around with the jewel, but...  

You could probably use some metal polishing compound instead of sandpaper.  It's basically equivalent to a really fine sandpaper, but the surface would not be scratched.  I have some "Genie" metal polishing compound, and it works on much more than just metal.

Another thing you may want to try is a real fine steel wool; this should not scratch the surface as much as sandpaper.

I'm not sure if any solvents will harm or even work on removing the green, but you could always test a small amount in an inconspicuous place.

I'm curious about this, so post back if you give any of these a try.

silentkiller

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 05:54:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

TangLeFuzZ

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 05:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (silentkiller @ Dec 5 2002, 12:54 PM)
I've heard that you sand the Underside if the jewel, because thats where the paint is.  Then, the top is still smooth!

:beer:

Yeah, but the jewel won't be transparent anymore....

the_Watchers_eye

• Archived User
Xbox Jewel Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2002, 05:34:00 AM »

replace it?