xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: About Installing A New Skin.  (Read 43 times)

Keyz13s

• Archived User
About Installing A New Skin.
« on: July 06, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »

DO I edit MXM.xml and put in the string or wutever "<Loadskin>" and then put the name of the skin to get a diff skin that the defaultnew to load? Where does my skin folder go?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (Keyz13s @ Jul 6 2003, 01:30 PM)
DO I edit MXM.xml and put in the string or wutever "<Loadskin>" and then put the name of the skin to get a diff skin that the defaultnew to load? Where does my skin folder go?

The skin's folder goes in the MXM directory (for now). You could edit the <LoadSkin> tag with the NAME of the skin.... 0.9n will be released soon, and has the ability to select the skin via a preferences menu, though.

Basically, it would look something like this (assuming MXM had it's own directory in E:):

E:\MXM
E:\MXM\*.* (MXM files, default.xbe, MXM.xml, menu.xml)
E:\MXM\MatrixSkin
E:\MXM\MatrixSkin\MXM_Skin.xml
E:\MXM\MatrixSkin\*.* (Skin files and directories)

The name of the skin is in the MXM_Skin.xml file (shouldn't be too hard to find it)

Keyz13s

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »

OK, so will MXM automatically detect the new skin folder? Or Will I HAVE to edit the MXM.xml file with the loadskin key. I remmeber having 0.9d and skinning wouldn't work at all, will it be fine in this version if I try?

2) Well, I have made up my own menu in menu.xml, but the games, app etc still show the descriptions. Me (I want them to not show descriptions at all, just the game name) , so do I leave the <description> empty or Do I HAVE to create a MXM_Entry.xml file in the games root folder and do it there?

Thnx BenJ! Can always count on you for reply's! Great DASH!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (Keyz13s @ Jul 6 2003, 01:43 PM)
OK, so will MXM automatically detect the new skin folder? Or Will I HAVE to edit the MXM.xml file with the loadskin key. I remmeber having 0.9d and skinning wouldn't work at all, will it be fine in this version if I try?

2) Well, I have made up my own menu in menu.xml, but the games, app etc still show the descriptions. Me (I want them to not show descriptions at all, just the game name) , so do I leave the <description> empty or Do I HAVE to create a MXM_Entry.xml file in the games root folder and do it there?

Thnx BenJ! Can always count on you for reply's! Great DASH!

If you haven't specified a skins directory, it will randomly select one of the available skins... it always scans for skins. LoadSkin tag works.

Entries in the MXM.xml file override the menu.xml file. If you have items in the MXM.xml fiule, you must remove them to use the menu.xml file.

Once that is done, you must also reset the Menu Cache so that it will be regenerated by MXM on the next reboot.

StrongBad

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 09:56:00 AM »

Perhaps to clear things up you should do away with MXM.xml and instead have MXMprefs.xml and menu.xml.  Just a suggestion. *shrug*

Keyz13s

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 10:04:00 AM »

Great! Got the New Skin working!!!

Hmm....I can't seem to FTP to my xbox when MXM is on though, whats the problem? When Evox was on, it would FXP easily. I see the IP on my Skin but, it doesnt respond from my computer...any suggesstions?

koldfuzion

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

try the defualt username of xbox and password xbox.  its not going to use custom settings that you had for evox.

Keyz13s

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

worked, thanx.