xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: People Learn To Optimize Backups The Right Way!  (Read 907 times)

chrisa777

• Archived User
People Learn To Optimize Backups The Right Way!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

why not show some loading time comparisons to actually show youre methods are better. All I here is you preaching on about using some overly complicated method with some obscure app.  All youre doing is trying to sound smart, keep on tootin that horn bro.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (chrisa777 @ Nov 11 2004, 02:35 PM)
why not show some loading time comparisons to actually show youre methods are better. All I here is you preaching on about using some overly complicated method with some obscure app.  All youre doing is trying to sound smart, keep on tootin that horn bro.

What!? are you serious.  Why not try it and find out for yourself.  For one, i dont know the guys who wrote the programs from a hole in the ground, im just trying to help all the rest of the noobs - including yourself out.

Im not going to sit here and argue with people that disagree - was just here to help.  The Admin stated its the best way for backups - u going to argue with him too.

Instead of trying to be defensive and argue, why not take the time to experiment with it yourself - PROVE ME WRONG.  I bet you wont.  Also, when i tested it with FSW games loaded about 10sec. faster.

If u dont like it, dont read it, dont try it.  Just your loss.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (junkster @ Nov 11 2004, 03:06 PM)
Hate to see someone with a good method get blasted by ignorant people.

I can say firsthand that a Quix backup of Chronicles of Riddick takes much longer to load new areas than MooGUI/Layout Dumper does, the larger areas take several seconds longer to load and since that game loads between areas fairly often, an optimized backup is a godsend. Chronicles of Riddick is just one example; most if not all games benefit from layout optimizing. And in fact, some games (I think Panzer Dragoon Orta) were never optimized to begin with so MooGUI/Layout Dumper creates a faster disc than your original!

I think the reason more people don't know about it is because it was hidden in a XDVDFSTOOLS thread and nobody can really tell what that is just by looking at the thread title.

MooGUI even lets you remove files from a layout so I created an optimized Halo2 just the other day. Search the forum for my post.

Use these tools, they will prevent unnecessary wear and tear of your Xbox laser!

exactly!  

I myself used it for the Halo2 backup and have had no problems.  I can understand how it has been over looked, that xdvdfs thread was huge and no one wanted to read it.

jimmsta

• Recovered User
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

I have to state to everyone that does not believe in this tool: It works!!!!

I've been using it for about a month, and have backed up 3 or 4 of my games with it, and the games load up quicker than when created with Craxtion.

MooGUI is a great app, which does exactly what it was designed to do -- to optimize xbox game backups.

And no, I have not been endorsed to praise the app. It's just one of the few great, well-written apps in the xbox game backup scene.

junkster

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »

smile.gif smile.gif

clonexb

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:00 AM »

OK guys time to clear a few things up :-

1. I wrote the last version of XDVDFS_Tools, LayoutDumper and CloneXB

2. CloneXB v2.3 uses XDVDFS_Tools source code and was the 1st App to properly support optimized backups.

3. CloneXB v2.3 had major problems when using optimization because I was trying to be too clever in getting it to do it all automatically without the need for user intervention. It tries to run LayoutDumper remotely via the xbox and auto pull down the layout file and use it.

4. Because I wanted to get optimized backups to become more widely used as fast as possible I release the standalone toolset XDVDFS_Tools which allows the user to do optimized backups manually while I got CloneXB sorted out.

5. While I was doing that mooGUI was releases and does an excellent Job of providing a front end to this toolset which goes above any beyond the features I was intending to put in CloneXB. Its more of an experts tool for people who know what they are doing. CloneXB is more for the noobs and lazy people who want it all done for them.

Whats in store for the future :-

1. The new version of CloneXB is currently in development and will be available in the near future.

2. A new version of XDVDFS_Tools is also due out soon with some bug fixes and enhancements.

3. I have also written a well illustrated and easy to understand document on how xbox retails discs are structured/read and what is wrong with todays backup methods and why the new optimized method is best. It will also describe the .lyt file format so that other app developers such as Craxtion and QWIX etc. can take advantage of it aswell. This will be release to the community in an attempt to stir up some interest and gain wider adoption of this new method.

3. CloneXB will continue to be a tool aimed at automating everything while still giving the lazies and noobs optimized backups.

4. The excellent mooGUI will continue to be the best tool for advanced users who want to manually optimize multi game disc and bascially have full control of what they do.

5. Also in the pipeline for the near future is proper support for 1:1 dual layer backups using the same optimization methods described here.

Any questions ? Please ask them now and I will monitor this thread and answer your technical or general questions as best I can.

Regards

CloneXB.

aswilbourn

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 04:40:00 AM »

Sounds good but I think its a case of sticking with what you personally know works. I have never had a problem with Qwix optimising my files and I havent had a single game that hasn't worked. I really do't want to be adding yet another programme for xbox games to my PC, taking time to download it, figuring out how to use it and adding more time to the process for the sake of saving a few seconds on loading ( and due to the fact that I know Qwix definetly works everytime). But as I said its all about what YOU know works for YOU and if your happy with it stick to it.

moobar

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »

Well its good to know the ball is rolling and people are using XDVDFS Tools. I can still remember back some months ago when I first saw CloneXB's news release. I usually just skim the news items but CloneXB caught my eye for some reason, most of all it made perfect sense. Kind of reminded me back in the Win31 days when defragging your HD was a must with those 80286's. Didnt take me too long to figure out how to use the tools since everything is provided to get started. Heh, heres one for the photo album

I stand behind CloneXB 100%. Listen to what he has to say.

regards,
moobar

moobar

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »

laugh.gif That app was a whole 32KB, now Im pushing 2MB

Cant wait for the technical document. Plus now I gotta go buy a DL writter.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (aswilbourn @ Nov 12 2004, 06:43 AM)
Sounds good but I think its a case of sticking with what you personally know works. I have never had a problem with Qwix optimising my files and I havent had a single game that hasn't worked. I really do't want to be adding yet another programme for xbox games to my PC, taking time to download it, figuring out how to use it and adding more time to the process for the sake of saving a few seconds on loading ( and due to the fact that I know Qwix definetly works everytime). But as I said its all about what YOU know works for YOU and if your happy with it stick to it.

Hey if you happy with your current method of backups fine.  Optimizing might not be for everyone, but why not spend the 5 min. and check it out.  It is definately worth the try.

Hopefully alot of people have seen this thread and at least aware there is the possiblility of optimizing your backups - and not thinking that craxtion and quix are doing the same.  NOthing agaist them, just that the tools are moving forward.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 06:51:00 AM »

so whats wrong with using isomaker 1.21 and gdfimage.exe, (a m$ executable that works with isomaker to set up the discs files in an iso optimized)?

or is this similar to these other programs? better?

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

QUOTE (ILLusions0fGrander @ Nov 12 2004, 08:54 AM)
so whats wrong with using isomaker 1.21 and gdfimage.exe, (a m$ executable that works with isomaker to set up the discs files in an iso optimized)?

or is this similar to these other programs? better?

read above, i stated the difference of the file orders with other programs.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »

well that depends on what u mean by quality?  no backups change the way the pictures is displayed as far as i know.

but my opinion is the quality is better and faster.

stg58

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »

CloneXb and Moobar,  Thanks for all the hard work.  I really do think that Xdvdfs tools is a fantastic piece of work and has really moved the ability to create optimized backups in the right direction. I use your tools for all of my backups now.

Once again, I hope more ppl jump on the bandwagon and share LYT files. I use MooGui/xdvdfs because it's so easy to use, there really isn't any learning curve problems when using the tool set to create iso's so, I don't see why more ppl shouldn't try them.

J.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (dontasciime @ Nov 12 2004, 03:13 PM)
why would my original PAL version of Halo2  save the lyt files as ntsc.

[edit] suppose this is normal. as the layout file structure has not really been changed for the pal market.

it doesn't.  It dumps the layout according to the disc.  If you are refering to my example earlier, it is what i just said, an example.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8