xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Password  (Read 50 times)

1hotjob

• Archived User
Password
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

yalX - yet another lock (by WiSo) yalX - yet another lock (by WiSo)

this app was created upon request. Maybe it's also useful for someone else.
It was written in 2 hours so don't expect to much.

What is it ?
yalX only allows to start an application if the right password is provided.
It adopts the name of the application and dash boards with autoitem shows
it after the first start.

How to install ?
Rename the default.xbe of the application you want to protect to yalx.ebx and copy
the whole content of this package into the application directory. That's it !
When you first start your application you're asked to provide a new password. Type it
in and repeat it. Afterwards it's saved and from now on you're asked to provide a
password to start the application.

What can I do when I've forgot my password ?
just delete the file yalx.xbx in the yalx directory of the protected application.
You see it's only a simple protection for your children and everyone with ftp access
could remove it.

Where can I get it ?
The source code will be in the dvd2xbox repository on sourceforge and the rest at the usual places.

Since it only password protects default.xbe files, here is what you would have to do:

Make three different folders on the F drive with Evox in each one. Each folder should have that user's evox.ini file to give them a menu.

Main Evox Menu for different users

User 1 F:\User1\default.xbe or evox.xbe
User 2 F:\User2\default.xbe or evox.xbe
User 3 F:\User3\default.xbe or evox.xbe
Reboot Xbox
Shut Down Xbox

The bold text is what would show up when you boot your Xbox. You would use Yalx to password protect the menu for each user. Be aware that the password will show up on screen, so it isn't 100% safe when someone is watching you.

Make sure you are one of the users and you have access to all programs on the Xbox.

Let me know if you get it to work.