xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Store Dvd's On Hdd And Play From Avalaunch?  (Read 804 times)

JakePryor

• Archived User
Store Dvd's On Hdd And Play From Avalaunch?
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

Hello all, here's what I'm doing right now:

I copy the video files my favorite DVD's to my HDD in a directory called f:\videos\(moviename)

If I want to play one, I open XBMC and browse to the movie's folder, and open the first IFO file.  It works just fine.

However, what I would like to do is have a menu called Movies just below the Games menu in avalaunch which would open a list of these films and allow me to play them by simply choosing them as I would a game in the Games menu.  

Is this possible?  Avalaunch now has a built in DVD player...would the solution involve it or still use XBMC?

Thanks.....

JakePryor

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »

update:  Now i'm decoding the DVD's and converting to high quality AVI's.  Can I configure avalaunch to list them in a menu and allow be to play them straight like I run games?

thanks...

JakePryor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

*Bump*

Anyone know how to do this yet?

sirphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »

Avalaunch is a Dashboard, not a media player.  If you have XBMC just boot to that and you can do much more than you could ever do in Avalaunch.  

Problem solved.

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

to answer your question, yes you can make an addition right below the games listing. Get into your avalaunch.xml and open it using wordpad or something. Then insert this below the games listing:  

<list presetname="movies"
     <path>
           F:\videos
     </path>
 </list>

However, as mentioned, ava is not a media player, and you would still have to set up what you wanted to start when a .avi file is selected.

JakePryor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »

P.S.  -  How do I get Avalaunch to display a list of the movies in that menu?  So far all I can get it to list are XBE's...

marsneeds

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:13:00 AM »

this is exactly it...how do you get avaluanch to make the association with the video you pic? (first off i can't even get avaluanch to list movies period...but would like to know how if you can). Avalaunch seems to only list xbe's.

I know Evolution x will list movies and get a media player to play them. But how can this be done with avalaunch?