xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?  (Read 2380 times)

l0tics

• Archived User
Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »

So, people who are waiting for homebrew. What homebrew do you want? Please tell me. Because if it is an emulator and a media player to run pirated games and play pirated music/movies, then you are a hypocrite. If there is actually another use for it (besides linux and general utilities), tell me. Also Ozy, stop using "get a job" as an excuse to not pirate games - I have a job and my money is much better spent on hardware than software in my opinion.

smair1984

• Archived User
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »

Looks like kowrip just got out of his micro/macroeconomics class before he posted.

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(smair1984 @ Nov 4 2006, 10:37 PM) View Post

Looks like kowrip just got out of his micro/macroeconomics class before he posted.

tongue.gif   Actually, this was something I learned in a business math course years ago.  I've been out of school for a long time now.

big1

• Archived User
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(l0tics @ Nov 4 2006, 09:54 AM) View Post

So, people who are waiting for homebrew. What homebrew do you want? Please tell me. Because if it is an emulator and a media player to run pirated games and play pirated music/movies, then you are a hypocrite. If there is actually another use for it (besides linux and general utilities), tell me.

HELLO EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »

I won’t touch the mod until I can use homebrew apps.

Yes, I want a media player that plays -all- my legal media.
Yes, I want an emulator that will play all my legally owned ROMs.
Yes, I have both of the above with a mix of illegal stuff.
Who doesn’t?

The moral issues between homebrew and piracy run together like spaghetti.
Xbox360 owners can only hope that homebrew is made possible someday
because it will give some validity for the reason to modify the console.

Honestly how many people are really using the DVD mod to create their one legal backup?
(If only a poll could register honest answers only)

If all this mod method is about is piracy then call it what it is.

I see no reason to mod until I can play homebrew.

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »

It really is about morality and the fear.
It is about the haves and the have not’s.
It’s about the middle class eating its self.

When hasn’t theft been about rationalizing morals?

And it’s always specific to the context of the situation.

In this situation should Sara get all the great games while Johnny’s gets the sale items from the used bin?
I think they should both get all the games.
But I don’t think that Johnny’s parents should break the law to get those games.
(They should really rise above the situation, that’s morals…)

Well, today Johnny’s the one who’s stealing the games.
His parents don’t know what “burning an iso” really means as long as it’s not the house or the school.
Johnny works as a dishwasher after school and the weekends.
Johnny’s mom is a waitress and his dad is an unemployed aircraft mechanic.  
Johnny’s smart, real smart, but he knows his destiny is community college because he’s not an athlete superstar
and he won’t get rocket scientist scores on his SAT’s.

Sara’s dad owns the deed to Johnny’s parent’s house.
(just rolling with the whole Bourgeioisie vs. Prolatariat thing)

So, instead of fearing what lurks in the darkness of the p2p world…
What Johnny should do in the “dog eat dog world” is get to know Sara.
You see that way he at least gets access to a few more games.
And you never know what else…  wink.gif

Hanous

• Archived User
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(Alize @ Nov 7 2006, 07:18 AM) View Post

As long as it is possible to pirate, it will ALWAYS be around, people dont want to pay for things, its simple as that, i will admit, I do have the modified xbox 360 to play backups, because i have already wasted £100 on buying additional games, 1st incident was my friend at a LAN party got a little excited at GRAW and kicked the table which had the xbox on, it moved it and scratched the disc rendering it useless! I KNOW it says in the manual dont move it but accidents happen, and although I understand the importance of it half of my mates think im exaggerating, now they believe me :) The 2nd game i re-bought was MotoGP06, i told my m8 to unplug the AV cable, so he picked it up and unplugged it, i heard the noise and knew straight away!

No matter how many times i repeat myself, some people just dont get it (aka my mates) that you musnt move the xbox whilst its on! THATS why i ONLY play backups and keep my retails in a disc wallet somewhere safe ;-)

I think one of the only ways to 'crack' piracy (pun intended ;)) is drop the prices of them! I used to have copied dvds, but for the price of retails it isnt worth it, id much rather have a retail with a retail sleeve etc sitting on my unit instead of a copy!

The one and only reason i dont pirate games is simply because i work in the programming industry and i know how it feels to have your work "ripped" and distributed when you spent many many hours working on it!

Pirating is bad, if everybody decided to pirate, nobody would make any games and sell any consoles! The whole world would have to turn to open-source (a good thing? lol).

I agree that the games are becoming more and more fragile. I'm personally waiting for some sort of hdd loader for the 360 before I mod mine. From my experience with the previous xbox, there is significant reduction in load time and you never have to worry about changing a game disc every time you want to play a different game. I'm not necessarily advocating piracy, but anyone out there who pays 400+ for a game console and  60 bucks for a video game has the right to do whatever they see fit with it. They paid for it therefore it belongs to them.

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

I dont have much use for the 360 hacks just yet. I am waiting untell homebrew is in sight before I spend the 400 bucks on a system.
I would say that I dont want to lose XBL but I cant play where I live anyways. (only satalite highspeed available here)

amptor

• Archived User
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

how can xbl become loose?  tongue.gif

seanp2500

• Archived User
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »

wow great thread!! just wanted to add my two cents on the matter.  I think the endless firmware hacks are interesting, but I just havent seen a cool one yet. I want homebrew and ability to upgrade hd. I bought my xbox 360 day one and guess what? other than a handful of games I have been dissappointed.  Online play great.  achievement system great.  Just not enough good games though I look forward to Gears of War! And I will actually buy it.  Now the thing I wanted to discuss is yes def bigup to the xna thing. I read about it and it does look pretty cool and promising.  Additionally I have been playing alot on my xbox these days.  Between Znesbox, Xmugen, and the new media center 2.0 It is really getting some use.  I was excited by the new version of mugen called infinity cat that has been released and can't wait for a 360 port through xna.  Now that would def be exciting homebrew.  To be honest the dearth of qualtiy 360 games kinda makes pirating pointless since I usually buy the games I like to support the developers and well to get the nice manual packaging etc...though I will say that is rare.  I understand the multiple disc copy thing for uh power users and that is cool i am not hating.  But otherwise I dont see any reason to invest in the equipment/time needed to do the available mods.  Additionally I still think the modding is in the wrong directions with hacking the dvd player code/firmware and hope that someone out there figures out an easier better and less intrusive way.  WOOT!

Magrep

• Archived User
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »

I don't want to "rent" anything from M$.
I have a ton of backed up discs and I have the orginals for any that I actually play.  I have a LOT of money invested in DVD's and I would just as soon not use the orginals.
My time is worth something and I don't want to spend it hunting down a new copy of something that got scratched.  Besides the games aren't available forever in the stores and buying used can be as bad as scratchin yer own.

I'm waiting for a modchip that can run my 360 in the stealth mode then I'm going on XBL with it.. Till then I run my old modded box in stealth mode on XBL.    I can wait.

The more punitive and restrictive M$ gets the less likely it is that I'll spend money with them in the future.  I vote with my money.  Piss me off enough and I will spend my money on something else.

MODDING FOREVER

x64_02

• Archived User
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

Waiting for XBMC360 myself.  Because I only connect to live for the codec updates/ HD trailers.  With services like Gamefly and Blockbusters on every corner, this modification isn't necessary.

See alot of posts about how it isn't dangerous to hack firmwares because they work fine now.  Does noone remember what happened to Directv boxes a couple of years ago?  Minor updates in a periodic fashion which ultimately formed a larger program which killed hacked machines.  Just because they work with XBL now, doesn't mean anything.  There was a post in the news section earlier about how if Microsoft is smart, they are just letting everyone log in and recording IP addresses and the like.  Microsoft can fry as many machines as they want and promise fixes to anyone who brings their machines to a store or sends them in for repair knowing that anyone who has opened the machine if F#$@ed.  Modified firmware boxes' days could already be numbered with this fall, and previous, updates.

Modifying an x360 and logging on to a MS server without any protection is falacious.  Perhaps MS's new strategy to defeat the PS3 in sales is to sale many of their machines twice.

crownvic420

• Archived User
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

i just got the firmware mod done, live works fine, got the fall dash update worked fine. i had about 10 games i bought i wanna back up, just because they get beat up around here, so i think its worth it, dont know if i should keep originals or trade in.

TomzUK

• Archived User
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

All in good time. biggrin.gif

DarthVega7

• Archived User
« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »

you misspelled lose...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12