xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gentoo With Reiserfs?  (Read 125 times)

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Gentoo With Reiserfs?
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »

So I'm installing Gentoo on my PS3.  First off, I bought a 120GB drive and I'm using the original 60GB to store my copy of Linux (with 50GB available to Linux).

The problem is, after installing, the boot loader doesn't seem to "see" my drive and it doesn't continue to boot.  I have none of the kboot options that I defined in my kboot.conf available at the kboot prompt.  I can get to a shell with "sh" but that's about it.  I assume it's because I am formatting my drive with ReiserFS instead of ext3.  Is this a limitation of Sony's kboot to read ReiserFS or is there some way to make this work?  Also, is Sony's kboot related to (or ported from) another work or did they create it?

I've gone through the process about 3 times trying a couple of different things with the same results.  To be honest, I don't know exactly how the boot procedure is handled with a PS3.  I'm guessing that kboot ("kernel boot" I assume) is loaded into the system memory/firmware somewhere.  Once executed, it looks for a "/" partition, reads kboot.conf and begins execution from there.  I did label my partitions using ReiserFSTune.  I read a comment that "/boot" is not used at all.  Is that true?  This is my original partition configuration:

Primary 1 - 128MB - /boot - ext2
Primary 2 - 1GB - swap - Linux Swap
Primary 3 - 20GB - / - RieserFS
Primary 4 - ~26GB - /home - ReiserFS

I later removed the "/boot" partition and made swap my first primary partition.  Same results.  Any input?  Thanks.