xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do You Install Vlc On Yellowdog Linux?  (Read 176 times)

Xeriak

• Archived User
How Do You Install Vlc On Yellowdog Linux?
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

I got Yellowdog Linux 5.0 installed and working, but can't get VLC to install from the RPM, it says it fails the dependancies check.. How do I go about fixing this?? Is there a tut somewhere on installing VLC? Or can someone list all the needed packages for dependancies before I attempt installing VLC again..

rkotecha

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

I managed to get his working. The main thing you have to do is configure YUM properly. Ensure that you have access to FreshRPMS repo and there's a Fedora repo you need to have referenced as well. Once that's done you can just use a simple yum command to install it. (yum install vlc ... or something like that, I can't remember exactly)

If you need more help take a look at http://tictech2. blogspot. com

QUOTE(Xeriak @ Dec 2 2006, 10:26 PM) View Post

I got Yellowdog Linux 5.0 installed and working, but can't get VLC to install from the RPM, it says it fails the dependancies check.. How do I go about fixing this?? Is there a tut somewhere on installing VLC? Or can someone list all the needed packages for dependancies before I attempt installing VLC again..

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

What kind of files do you play using VLC?  Will VLC play h.264 videos?

Darkgamer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »

The windows VLC version runs pretty much everything but I don't know for the linux version. Anyone ?

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »

Actually, I'm sure it will play the files I just wanna know how they run.  If they run smooth, can you view it full screen, etc...

CaZpeR

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(the0ry @ Mar 8 2007, 03:52 PM) View Post

Actually, I'm sure it will play the files I just wanna know how they run.  If they run smooth, can you view it full screen, etc...

Been trying alot with x.264 content and VLC will play it, the sound sounds fine, but the picture is all black and pixelated. I have also tried Mplayer and the x.264 plays better, the sound is the same and the picture is there, but it doesnt play the video fast enough. Get's this message in terminal: "Slow CPU?"

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(CaZpeR @ Mar 11 2007, 08:34 PM) View Post

Been trying alot with x.264 content and VLC will play it, the sound sounds fine, but the picture is all black and pixelated. I have also tried Mplayer and the x.264 plays better, the sound is the same and the picture is there, but it doesnt play the video fast enough. Get's this message in terminal: "Slow CPU?"

Are you running Yellow Dog or Fedora?  Have you tried playing the 700 MB avi's, the HR HD files?

CaZpeR

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(the0ry @ Mar 12 2007, 04:09 PM) View Post

Are you running Yellow Dog or Fedora?  Have you tried playing the 700 MB avi's, the HR HD files?

YDL. I've tried the HR HD files and they are also pixelated. But my plan was running HD Content like .mkv or .ts. But they both wont work. Yet....

the0ry

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(CaZpeR @ Mar 13 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post

YDL. I've tried the HR HD files and they are also pixelated. But my plan was running HD Content like .mkv or .ts. But they both wont work. Yet....

That's awful...I can play those just fine using XBMC on the original XBOX.  I guess I'll wait for further development on the PS3 before purchasing one.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(the0ry @ Mar 13 2007, 09:59 AM) View Post

That's awful...I can play those just fine using XBMC on the original XBOX.  I guess I'll wait for further development on the PS3 before purchasing one.

Yeah, Linux on the PS3 is pretty worthless at the moment.