xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions About The Ps3  (Read 308 times)

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« on: May 20, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

Well I have saved up $600 dollars and I was going to get a Xbox360 elite + HD-DVD drive, but then I heard from friends who bought the Elite that it scratched their disks and wouldn't play them or that it had the ring of death and they had to PAY to get it fixed. So now I am considering a PS3. But unfortunately I am clueless about the PS3. So I ask you all. What are the most serious and common problems with the PS3's?

pablot

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:08:00 AM »

in my perspective the worst thing about PS3 is it's lack of rumble, other than that it looks like a great machine. I haven't seen much complaints about it dying, its a bit more stable than the 360.. but the lack of rumble and lack of games sucks, but I think they'll add rumble in the future and I am sure that good games will come out

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »

Hmm, lack of rumble is quite a pit-fall isn't it. I think I remember hearing why they didn't include it, a patent dispute or something like that. But I think i'll take no rumble over a dead system any day. I'd still like to hear from more people. Maybe someone who actual has had problems and has gone through customer service. Thats another point of interest, as Microsoft's current "We'll pay half, you pay half" shipping system is a major turn-off, no matter how stable their system will become.

throwingks

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

I have never owned a Sony game console, but I do/have own(ed) many other Sony products. If you are worried about customer support, then you are out of luck. Sony's support sucks and Microsoft's support sucks.

Customer support used to be an important factor in buying decisions, now it is just accepted almost every major company has crappy customer support.

As far as the rumble support, I think Immersion and Sony have come to terms and there will be some sort of rumble support in the future.

mlmadmax

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

There are problems with controllers loosing signal and also with bluray freezing up every once in a while (I have had it feeze on me once but have never had syncing problms). Besides the the unit is solid.

One thing though, your friend who got an elite and had it break would have absolutley been able to get it fixed under warrenty. I have also not heard about problems with the elite at all unlike the older 360's.

As fas as gaming goes the 360 is still my go to unit. My PS3 experiance has definetly at this point left a sour taste in my mouth and as of know can only hope some good games come out in the near future.

Chancer

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »

weakest point for me is having to have the system on to charge the controllers. The charge station is not out yet but for me is a must

BIMPtacular

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

i just want to know if anyone else has a weird screen jitter right after you start a downloaded demo, right before the game starts.......if no one else has these problems i am taking mine back today, i dont want any problems right after the warranty goes out

BIMP

sevanig

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ May 21 2007, 02:14 PM) *

weakest point for me is having to have the system on to charge the controllers. The charge station is not out yet but for me is a must

you know you can charge the controllers on anything with a usb port... like ur pc...

throwingks

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(sevanig @ Jun 24 2007, 07:14 AM) View Post

you know you can charge the controllers on anything with a usb port... like ur pc...

Why not use a USB wall charger?

Chancer

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(sevanig @ Jun 24 2007, 12:14 PM) View Post

Yeah. I usually do but I would like the PS3 to have had standby charging.
There is no charge sense circuit on the PC to cut the voltage to the USB when the controller is fully charged so it means careful monitoring of the charge process

tastyratz

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jun 24 2007, 02:11 PM) *

Yeah. I usually do but I would like the PS3 to have had standby charging.
There is no charge sense circuit on the PC to cut the voltage to the USB when the controller is fully charged so it means careful monitoring of the charge process

Dont alot of people use ps3 controllers for pc gaming? Wouldnt that mean you would kill it just keeping it plugged in to play?

Part of usb spec is to just have a constant voltage - I highly doubt any charging circuit is in the ps3 and that the controller doesnt shit itself off when need be.

Personally I have a ps3. I have a ps2, and I have a modded to hell xbox.

My buddy just got a 360

I really have to say that overall I am extremely impressed with every aspect of the ps3 as better.
I played my buddies x360 and I really gotta say. Every single category. Graphics arent as good, controllers arent as nice, unit design aesthetically and functionally, sound, dvd playback SUCKS and its piss poor at media playing, no hard drive caps game makers from really taking advantage of a largely needed item. I could go on.

Theres 2 downfalls to ps3, lack of rumble, and game selection. Game selection shouldnt be that bad as sony is making a HUGE push to get a retardedly large number of games out soon. Rumble I can live with.

Sorry I know this is an xbox forum and I absolutely love my xbox1 all modded to hell custom case multi drive demon but... next gen ms fails.

dobiekenobie

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

I just picked up a PS3 this week, after going back and forth about buying one for months.  Honsetly, its a decent system, with a few big drawbacks that hold it down, besides just the cost (for now at least).  The biggest to me is the lack of games.  I picked up Resistance, and its OK, but not what I expected of a "vastly superior" machine.  The software implementations seem disjointed--the XMB is good, but the store, the lack of any cross game friends-list, the keypad... its all annoying.  I dislike the fact that there were no "extras" with the machine--not even a headset.  The fact that I have to leave the machine on to charge  the controller (which doesn't automatically shut off if left on), kinda sucks.  And I have to disagree with one poster and say that the controller is not superior to the 360's--it feels light, and cheaply made.  The buttons of the controller are mushy when you push them down, and the left thumbstick (my bane with the dualshocks) is always in the way if I want to quickly press the start button.

Even after ranting about the negatives, I can live with most of them, as long as the GAMES come out.  I actually LIKE my PS3 a lot.  I like the feel of the way the sixaxis function controls (when playing flOw anyways), I like the blu-ray, I like the media capabilities, and if I can think of a reason to install Linux, I like the fact that I can.  I also like that I can upgrade my HDD easily (and not void the warranty!).  I like the look of the system, its fairly quiet, and the wife thinks its cool.  I'll keep it around.   cool.gif

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Does the PS3 have ANY faults? I could find only a handful of posts on other sites about PS3 troubles. The system seems to be MUCH more solid than the 360, although systems with the Zephyr board seem to be pretty solid. I'm seriously debating on getting the $399 version tomorrow, but I fear "THE WIFE" will bitch and moan about me putting it on MY credit card. sad.gif

Chancer

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 05:28:00 AM »

but I fear "THE WIFE" will bitch and moan about me putting it on MY credit card. sad.gif

That sounds about right. We are not married to the same person are we?
Seriously. I was apprehensive about buying one but I don't regret it at all. Hell I even still play ROFM ( I am notoriously crap at FPS)and Motorstorm and enjoy them.The games situation will get better. I am happy enough with what is available at the moment and over the next 3 months or so, I am pleased with the BR playback. I play online with Fifa08 with no problems with lag or anything and I have purchased stuff from the online store.
if you have a 360 then if there is a must have game you can always get it for the 360 if it is not available on PS3.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Nov 5 2007, 01:29 PM

iam

• Archived User
Questions About The Ps3
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »

I'm looking at the PS3 as well. After having 3 360s dying on me and almost getting my picture on the Costco customer service desk wall for returning too many of them, I'm done with this machine.

One thing I heard about the PS3, and I hope one of you owners can confirm, is that it's extremly slow loading games... comments?

Also, I heard Blu-Ray movies were not THAT nice, compared to HD-DVD... I even read a review somewhere that said there was only little difference between an upscaled SD DVD and a Blu-Ray movie... comments?

I'm following the medialib development as well as RSX access dev closely at ps2dev.org, the guys already found a way to use the RSX so homebrew is just around the corner.

Fully legit LINUX support is a big selling point for me, especially if they finally get access to the RSX and have a mplayer version able to read HD formats soon.

Pages: [1] 2