xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: [help] Ps3 Controller Modding  (Read 171 times)

Firebuble

• Archived User
[help] Ps3 Controller Modding
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »

first of all, i apologize for my bad english... saying that, i'll start to explain my problem

i'm traying to make an arcade controller with my ps3 controller, but i got a problem with it...

this is my ps3 controller board
(IMG:http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1843/msuvx3007top.jpg)

and this my controller conductive filme

(IMG:http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_56438_1.jpg)

it have 20 connectors (sorry if that isn't the right word for it), i'll number it from the down left to the top right [first picture]

my first guess was:

1+4= L2
11+4=L1
2+4= ↑
12+4=←
3+4=↓
13+4=→
4+14= ??? (some kind of not enabled buttom)

14+5=PS button
15+6=select
15+16=Start

7+17= ??? (some kind of not enabled buttom)
7+8= square
7+18=X
7+9=circle
7+19=triangle
7+10=R1
7+20=R2

but when i test my arcade controller it doen't work (exept ps buttom)... i'm not connecting the "some kind of not enabled button"

L3, R3, and analog sticks works perfect

i'm doing somethig wrong, but i dont know what it is..... i need some help with this, it's getting me crazy

Firebuble

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

well... i was looking and i found this

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS3%20Six-Axis%20and%20DS3/MSU_VX3_007Vias.jpg)

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/PS3%20Six-Axis%20and%20DS3/MSU_VX3_007Connection.jpg)

but i cant meka it work... i'm missing something, i'm very noob on this, so maybe i'm missing some stupid thing

what i'm traying to do:
i'm connecting one connector to another trying to make work some button... for example, conecting square with com2... but it isn't work.... connecting V with PS is the only function i can make it work..... (trying on each side of the daughterboard)

JrDK

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »

Do u have the resistors connected from the com1 to com2 and com3?
If you don't have the daughter board connected you will need 2 resistors of between 7.5 - 10k connected.

Com1+resistor>com2
Again connect one more resistor to com1
Com1+resistor>com3

Then you can hook up the button cables to their respective com ends.
 I personally used resistors of 8.2k.

Also while we are talking about arcade sticks, do you have any knowledge regarding the Accelerometer? Mine seems to be acting up and when I tilt or shake my arcade sticks in different direction I get inputs of left, up and right. No down whatsoever. I want to disable the accelerometer completely. Can you help me with that?

I hope RDC is reading this. (:

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »

@ JrDK - If that's how you have your Resistors installed that's most likely causing your issues as that's incorrect.

@ Firebuble - The 'not enabled buttons' you are referring to on the Daughter board (conductive film) are Pull Up Resistors that are built into it. When the Daughter board is disconnected form the controller the main buttons will not work correctly.

You need to install a couple of Resistors. One from V to COM1, and another from V to COM2.

You also have everything numbered incorrectly, but as long as you get it all installed right it doesn't matter. Going by your number setup, you need a 10k Resistor connected between 4 and 14 (COM1 and V), then another 10k Resistor connected between 7 and 17 (COM2 and V), then your buttons will work.

The exact value doesn't really matter, it can be anything from 6.8k to 10k or so, 10k are just more common and easier to get.

This post has been edited by RDC: Yesterday, 12:34 PM

RDC

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »

Yes that can technically be done, but you will lose the Analog ability the PS3 Stick has. When you move the Arcade Stick up it will be like moving the Analog Stick of the controller all the way up to the maximum. Using a Sniper Rifle in any game or trying to move very slowly a short distance will be impossible. You will not be able to make any kind of slow or precise movements unless you use an Analog Arcade Stick that uses Potentiometers (POTs) on it, and even then it will probably need some fine tuning to work correctly.

You can leave the Analog Stick installed on the PS3 board, or remove it, it makes no difference either way in this case.

You can not wire the Arcade Stick directly to the connections for the Analog Stick though, they don't work the same way at all.

These TP spots are for the MSU_VX3_0.07 board.

If you're using a Digital Arcade Stick, one that has 4 switches on it, you would wire it up..

TP20 + GND = LSU (Left Stick Up)
TP20 + TP13 = LSD
TP19 + GND = LSL
TP19 + TP13 = LSR

TP22 + GND = RSU (Right Stick Up)
TP22 + TP13 = RSD
TP21 + GND = RSL
TP21 + TP13 = RSR

If you are using an Analog Arcade Stick that has POTs you would wire it up..

Left Stick

TP20 to the Wiper for Up/Down
TP19 to the Wiper for Left/Right

Right Stick

TP22 to the Wiper for Up/Down
TP21 to the Wiper for Left/Right

TP13 and GND for the outside connections of the POTs. If any Axis (movements) are inverted (reversed) just swap the TP13 and GND connections on that POT to change the direction.

Firebuble

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

Thanks a lot RDC, i got a digital arcade stick, but i think that i'll get one of those with POT's... less solders and better functionality

after get that stick, i'll post here my first home made arcade game pad

and again, thank you very much RDC, u've helped me a lot