xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps360...  (Read 222 times)

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

i am new to the site. i was reading some past posts about the PS360 and i was quite impressed. i just have a few questions if anyone whos good at this kind of stuff could help. idk what version my controllers are i bought them a few days ago. i got a White PS3 controller and a black 360 controller.

now, i wanna make a PS360 controller. i dont wanna make the mod from ben heck because it looks to "simple" if u wanna call it that and it looks like it might fall apart after awhile.

i just wanna know, if its possible to keep the 360's analog sticks and D-pad, but change the main buttons to X, square, triangle and circle and i still want the feel of a 360 controller, not random mods with tact switches in a controller.
i just need some details on how to start and finish this bcuz this is my first time making this and i dont wanna screw it up bcuz im a little broke. haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

if anyone can gladly help it would be great, bcuz i really dont want the ben heck version of it. i would like the more smooth stable feel of the 360 controller just with the main buttons from the ps3 instead of X, A, Y and B. is there a tutorial in these forums that show this? all i have is the 2 controllers, now what do i do? im sooo lost but i wanna do this soo bad. please reply ASAP thx

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »

If this is the first time you've tried something like this then be prepared to tank at least 1 controller in the process for sure, could be both of them depending on your skill level with the soldering iron and Dremel as it's not an easy thing to do at all the way you're wanting.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=651946

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »

thx RDC. just one more question. is tehre a way to add the port on the top of the PS3 controller on the top of the xbox controller?

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »

You can if you like, but it's more bother than it's worth as the existing PnC connector on the controller works out much better for that, especially if you plan to keep the 360 board intact like I've done. It's just a USB connection with 3 extra pins for the charging circuit of the PnC cable to charge the 360 controller, just don't even bother with those 3 pins and wire up the 4 you need for the USB connections, and that's about it, you have a connector that's already there and can use any PnC cable for the USB cable to charge it, the PnC cable doesn't have to be modified in any way at all.

If ya want to go installing the miniUSB connector from the controller that can be done several ways, making a hole in the controller somewhere and gluing it in place, pulling the pins from the PnC connector and cutting it out to fit in there and securing it, etc., etc., but ends up being more work that using the existing PnC connector, plus looks like arse IMHO.

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

lol thx for the information. i do wanna just keep the xbox circuit in tact bcuz i want something more durable and stable. i still want the xbox controller feel. the only difference i want is the 4 main buttons lol nothing too much. but ill reply back once i get started and give u a heads up if i get stuck anywhere in the process of making it.

sorry for the double post but, i forgot to add. both of the controllers have the rumble feature. would i have to re wire it to work or leave it the way it is?

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

It doesn't matter which set of Rumble motors you use, but you are putting the PS3 controller in the 360 shell, so you'll be wiring them to the PS3 board if you want them to work. The 360 controller board is really used for nothing more than the button contacts the way I make it. The vast majority of the components on it need to be removed, plus traces cut and rewired into the PS3 controllers 3 common line setup, it's a good deal more work than you're probably expecting. wink.gif

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

well i got someone handy with me. hes really good with circuit boards lol so i might be in good hands and make this work first try. haha just one last question beofre i get started. what did u use to make this? like what tools and accessories? do i need wires? LEDs? perf board? and special tools like a desoldering/ soldering iron? i need to know what i need exactly since im doing thing your wayy lamo

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »

A soldering iron isn't what I call a 'special tool' since it's a down right necessity to do the majority of this. It really sounds like you're jumping off the high dive head first into the deep end of the empty pool and believe that having a diving coach on hand will make a difference. wink.gif

As far as what I use goes..

Soldering Iron and solder
Desoldering pump
Hot air rework setup
Dremel and assorted bits
Hot Glue gun and glue
Small side cutters
Small needle nose pliers
Xacto knife
Resistors x 2, 6.8k to 7.5k 0603
30awg wire
Tape

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »

ok whats a Hot Air rework setup? and a desoldering pump? lmao and 30awg wire.. do u only need one or like 5 or 6?

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

Google them.

This post has been edited by RDC: Mar 6 2010, 06:05 AM

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »

ok now. i dont need those do i? lol Jw. well i mean the Hot air rework setup? cuz i dont have one of those laying around lmao.

i just need to find which way is the easiest way to get this working. yours or Ben Hecks? i need an easier way but,i would like this controller to last me a while, and idk how long it would last if i did Ben Hecks way. lol

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »

If you don't want to use the right tools then go ahead and rip all the components off the 360 and PS3 boards and tear up the pads/traces you need as well as damage the parts you'll need to reuse, then you can use whatever wire you like to try and connect the 2 boards together. Put simply, if you're going to try and dig a hole to China, you're going too need a little more than a spoon.

There is no easy way to make the PS360 controller, period. It's a lot of work no matter how you go about it, even with the right tools and knowing exactly what you're doing. If you're not willing to take the time and learn what you're working on, as well as use the equipment necessary to pull it off or cough up the $$$ to have someone do it for you, then it's not going to get done properly. If you want it done 'easily' you're going to have to get a 3rd party knock off controller or wired controller adapter.

How long it lasts depends more on how you're going to treat it than anything else really.

XboxHater94

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »

i got another question... now is it possible to rewire the back buttons so i dont have to shoot with R1? or the Right Trigger on the top. i wanna make it the buttom right trigger, like a normal 360 controller. but lets say i get Need for speed shift. would i be screwed? cuz on ps3 for NFS Shift its R2 to Accelerate and L2 for Brake. is there a way to keep it? cuz i wanna have the bottom 2 triggers be my shooting and driving buttons not the top 2.

oh and is there a possible way to make a PS360 controller and a 3PS60 Controller with only 1 ps3 and 360 controllers? or do i need 2 of each?

This post has been edited by XboxHater94: Mar 18 2010, 11:02 PM

RDC

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »

Yes. Yes. Yes, if you use a couple of DPDT switches so they can be swapped back and forth.

No. You'll need more than a couple of controllers to make a PS360 and a 3PS60, 5 in total, going by how I make them up.

Fifaking22

• Archived User
Ps360...
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

I couldnt help but read this tread. Im trying to come up with a tutorial for a ps360 controller. ANd listen to RDC, IF YOURE BROKE DONT GO AHEAD AND TRY THIS!! Its Extremely comple\icated and in the process ive tanked 5 controllers. 2 sixaxis and i ds3. i also tanked to 360 controllers. ive been working on this for awhile and ive made decent progress. my last one it semi works. i ripped the daughter board so when i plug it in it lights up like its charging but you cant use it as the daughterboard is gone. ALL IM SAYING IS GIVE IT A LOT OF THOUGHT AS YOU WILL TANK A COUPLE CONTROLLERS BEFORE YOU GET IT Right. AND heres a good call you made that i didnt. I decided to follow ben heck becauz he had a guide. Theres lots of holes in it and the design is not very durable. i have respect for his work but RDC method is the best way of doing it.